5 night Elation or 7 night Pride

Minmounce

I am looking into booking either a 5 night out of San Diego or a 7 night out of Long Beach for the end of February. This will be a first cruise for myself and my family. I will be taking my 2 teenaged sons ages 16 and 18. Any recommendations as to which of these cruises would be the best for that age group. Also any pro's or con's to either of these ports? We will be arriving by air and will be staying before and after this cruise to do some touristy stuff so accommodations and convenience for rental cars and lodging near either port. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in helping make this decision.

I am looking into booking either a 5 night out of San Diego or a 7 night out of Long Beach for the end of February. This will be a first cruise for myself and my family. I will be taking my 2 teenaged sons ages 16 and 18. Any recommendations as to which of these cruises would be the best for that age group. Also any pro's or con's to either of these ports? We will be arriving by air and will be staying before and after this cruise to do some touristy stuff so accommodations and convenience for rental cars and lodging near either port. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in helping make this decision.

Having been on both of these cruises and given your kids, I would pick the Pride just because of the larger ship, a little more to do, and better ports. But I do like San Diego better than Long Beach/LA for touristy things. Both ports are quite easy to navigate, San Diego's is right downtown and just about 3 miles from the airport. Long Beach is kind of remote from anything else and several miles from the Long Beach airport and many miles from LAX, but if you have a car, you'd be OK. There is a nice hotel right there at the Long Beach Port, the Coast Long Beach hotel. There are pics of both ships and ports in my signature. Have a great cruise whichever one you decide on!

We thought about the 8 day but would like to do Cabo. After the cruise we will be doing Disneyland for a few days so will need to rent a car at either port. We have flown into Long Beach before and loved the smaller airport. How far is the terminal from the airport in Long Beach? Am assuming we would have to taxi back to the airport for a rental car am I right? We are coming from Washington and are planning on flying, but might rent a car and drive if the airlines keep messing around with surcharges.

I always book the longest cruise I can comfortably afford. Sometimes that is a 7 and sometimes it is a 4 or 5. If you can afford the extra $800 fare coupled with the extra on board/port/excursion expenses that go along with it then do the 7.

Seeing as this will be your first, my advice would be to do the shorter Elation cruise. A lot of people on here, in fact most probably, would book the longer itinerary because most of us have experienced cruising and have developed a love for it. But for some cruising is just not for them and a shorter cruise is a great intro to see how you feel. If you really don't like it then you didn't waste extra money for a vacation you weren't happy with and you get to get off the ship sooner. If you love it then put the money you saved from not booking the longer cruise into a savings and put it towards your next one! Not to put words in your mouth but my hunch is you guys are going to be looking forward to Disneyland so you would have more days available on land to do that. And if you sail on the Elation out of San Diego there's lots to do down there too. Just my two cents. If it were me I'd take the longer cruise option but I've done it before and know that cruising is for me! :D Enjoy planning your first cruise, it's half the fun!!!!

The above poster makes a very good point. I have done both ships, the Elation twice, once E. Carib and also the 4 day to Cabo. The only drawback to the 5 day Mex Riv is visiting Ensenada, not super popular, not much to do unless you like bars, and even then:eek: That being said, I LOVED both ships, had a blast on them. I don't think you can miss either way, but PV and Matzalan are great.

The above poster makes a very good point. I have done both ships, the Elation twice, once E. Carib and also the 4 day to Cabo. The only drawback to the 5 day Mex Riv is visiting Ensenada, not super popular, not much to do unless you like bars, and even then:eek: That being said, I LOVED both ships, had a blast on them. I don't think you can miss either way, but PV and Matzalan are great.

I got to do the elation itenerary on the Pride....we sailed out of long beach, stopped in Catalina islands, then to san diego then ensenada. The pride is a great ship. We loved it. We were dissapointed about the itenerary change...(hurricane henriette). But had a great time at all the ports...We did discover scuba in catalina, which has prompted us to now take scuba lessons for our next cruises....and if you do the elation..(also sailed that ship when it was in Galveston, nice ship too. but is you do that one, there is a kayak at la bufadora....(the blow hole) I would recommend for you and the kids....A short bus ride,,,,maybe 30 minutes, and you kayak out and around the blow hole,,,we saw dolphins and sea lions, and the view of the blow hole was great. If you go on the pride,,,,you will love that too. plus it is closer to disney when you get back...your maybe 30 with traffic to anahiem. As apposed to three hours or more from san diego. Either way, you will have a great time.

Archived