Anybody bought hammocks?

Broncofans

Just wondering which Port of call would be best, I'm thinking probably Mazatlan, for buying Hammocks. Also, about how much do they cost and does anyone have a great place they already know about for such a purchase?

Thanks for any information,

Jennifer

Just wondering which Port of call would be best, I'm thinking probably Mazatlan, for buying Hammocks. Also, about how much do they cost and does anyone have a great place they already know about for such a purchase?

Jennifer

You will find hammocks all over Mexico. I don't know how much they are as there a couple of types one is colored nylon rope in single colors, and the other is the natural cotton rope. There are also two types of hammocks one that you hang between two trees or the single seat one thats attached to wood similar to a bummerang shape.

There all over the place so I suggest you compare prices at a couple shops/stands and then bargain when you feel confident on the price you want to pay.

Jennifer

We bought one in Acapulco 06 It was 20.00(we bartered)When we went to Manzinillo we were offered one for 50.00 no bartering) Ours was better anyway as it has the wood ends not jsut the material.

Jennifer

I looked today around the Zocalo in Acapulco. Talked to a couple of people that make them in their village. They tell me the colored hammocks are Nylon and the plain colors are cotton. Going rate for the Cotton is $35.00 or 350 pesos. Could probably haggle on price if you wanted to.

I like the cotton because they were SOOOOOOOO soft. The nylon isn't so nice. You could always tyedye a cotton one.....

A bit of information on hammocks that I found on the internet.

"Which is best for you?

For hundreds of years, agave (hemp fiber), was the material of choice in Mayan hammocks. Cotton fiber was a major step forward in comfort. Now, modern nylon string has nearly (but not quite) duplicated the comfort factor while adding the additional benefits of durability and strength.

COTTON HAMMOCKS feel like a soft bed. The material breathes and flexes. The colors are natural. If left out in the weather, they will begin to fade in the first year, and the cotton will show signs of deterioration in the second year. They are susceptible to snags. Cotton hammocks are best used inside or on a covered porch, out of the weather.

NYLON HAMMOCKS feel like a firm bed. The man-made material has very little flex. The colors are vivid. Nylon is more durable than cotton and will last longer in the weather. While snags are possible, the string is extremely difficult (almost impossible) to break. Hammock purists say nylon feels unforgiving. But its durability is unquestioned."

This might help anyone contemplating buying a hammock to make a more informed decision.

My brother bought us one about 20 years ago from somewhere in Mexico and we had used it on our vacation every year. We have pictures of our kids when they were just babies in our Idaho mountains hanging from the trees in the hammock. This year, it finally bit the dust and since we are going in the spring, we wanted to replace ours and buy them for two of our kids who are now couples themselves.

Thanks all, ours must have been nylon but it was white, having lasted all those years...

Appreciate all of the information.

Jennifer

Thank you for the information on this thread. My parents bought one on a cruise years ago and it is finally ready to be laid to rest! They asked us if we'd pick up another while in Mexico. Guess we'll start shopping and bargaining right away!

:)

Archived