Most important thing I forgot to take.

cruise junky joan

A polarizing lense for my camera. If I were going to the beach or skiing it would have dawned on me to buy this lense for my glorified point and shoot. As it was i didn't take one and quite a few of my pictures are washed out, especially the brialliant blue sky. I know that most pictures can be manipulated to compensate for this but I don't think anything beats the real deal.

I didn't take a hat since there was a hood on my jacket but the hood was a pain in the butt when we were on small excursion boats because it kept flying either in my face or down my back. I ended up buying a fleece hat in one of the souvenier shops which wasn't a problem but I didn't realize how washed out my pictures would be until I got home and looked at them on the computer and of course by then it was too late. I honestly don't remember seeing anyplace in our travels where I could have gottene that polorizing lense.

I just bought gloves on our first stop. The cheapy $5 lycra/fleece ones worked great. MIL didn't bring a decent jacket for some strange reason, but that was bought at the first stop as well. Hats, jackets, etc can all be bought easily on a cruise. Tourist shops are everywhere.

I wish I had a polarizer. Our pics weren't washed out, but the coloring could have been nicer. I didn't know what I was missing until I bought a polarizer recently and took pics with it. You can buy camera equipment in Alaska too, but it's a bit harder to find and get to a good camera shop.

I just bought gloves on our first stop. The cheapy $5 lycra/fleece ones worked great. MIL didn't bring a decent jacket for some strange reason, but that was bought at the first stop as well. Hats, jackets, etc can all be bought easily on a cruise. Tourist shops are everywhere.

I wish I had a polarizer. Our pics weren't washed out, but the coloring could have been nicer. I didn't know what I was missing until I bought a polarizer recently and took pics with it. You can buy camera equipment in Alaska too, but it's a bit harder to find and get to a good camera shop.

I am not much of a photographer. I have a Kodiak EasyShare DX6440. Where would I get a polarizer lens for this camera. First I have heard of polarizer lens, but then I don't know a lot about camera and lens.

Slippers -- it was always too chilly to walk around in the flipflops I brought (sorry, I am from Florida and wasn't really thinking!) Socks would get dirty on the floors and carpets.

Wool Socks -- Well, I didn't own any to take so had to buy them at the Walmart in Wasilla. The cotton athletic socks just didn't cut it in the cold and rainy weather.

Terri

I am so proud of myself! I actually, after agonizing about it for a month, packed really well. I got it all right, except for:

I would have taken higher (knee high), warmer socks. Mine were a little too thin and not quite warm enough on our excursions. I still had a wonderful time. Also, I would take warmer gloves. I took a pair of those "cheapy", knit, one-size-fits-all-type, and they just weren't warm enough. Other than that I was really happy with my choices!:D

I am not much of a photographer. I have a Kodiak EasyShare DX6440. Where would I get a polarizer lens for this camera. First I have heard of polarizer lens, but then I don't know a lot about camera and lens.

First, to clarify, it is a polarizing FILTER (not a lens, big difference). And, you should look for a CIRCULAR polarizer (sometimes referred to as "CP filter").

Your camera supports add-on lenses, so it might be possible to get a filter. My suggestion is to bring your camera to a camera shop (not Best Buy, etc.) and inquire with them. If your camera can accept a filter, they will be able to help you find the proper diameter filter. I'm just not familiar with your camera & only looked up enough to see if it accepts add-on lenses. If your camera was an SLR type, you would know the diameter of your lens & it would be easy to tell you the proper filter size.

-- Renée

For us it was coffee travel mugs.

I had contemplated buying one, since I didn't have one at home to bring. However, in the end, I figured it was just another useless gadget recommended to pack. MISTAKE!! I do wish I had brought one. We had chilly damp days and it would have been great to have a nice warm drink, that I could keep warm, out with me on deck.

First, to clarify, it is a polarizing FILTER (not a lens, big difference). And, you should look for a CIRCULAR polarizer (sometimes referred to as "CP filter").

Your camera supports add-on lenses, so it might be possible to get a filter. My suggestion is to bring your camera to a camera shop (not Best Buy, etc.) and inquire with them. If your camera can accept a filter, they will be able to help you find the proper diameter filter. I'm just not familiar with your camera & only looked up enough to see if it accepts add-on lenses. If your camera was an SLR type, you would know the diameter of your lens & it would be easy to tell you the proper filter size.

-- Renée

While a circular polarizer is nice, I think it's overkill for a lot of people I could certainly be wrong, but last I looked circular polarizers were significantly more expensive than a "standard" polarizing filter.

And people should realize that a polarizing filter doesn't always correct a "washed out" blue sky. It depends on angle to the sun, etc.

While a circular polarizer is nice, I think it's overkill for a lot of people I could certainly be wrong, but last I looked circular polarizers were significantly more expensive than a "standard" polarizing filter.

I have to, respectfully, disagree here regarding a CP being overkill for a lot of people. For MOST people, it is the proper filter. Here is a link that will help people understand polarization & selection of linear vs. circular:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Polarizer

And here is the 2-sentence summary on selecting the right polarizing filter:

"You should use a circular polarizer if your camera has autofocus or built-in light metering features. However, if you focus manually, and use a hand-held light meter, you can use a linear polarizer on any camera you wish."

The OP is not focusing manually & is certainly not using a hand-held light meter. Therefore, the OP, if desiring a polarizing filter, should absolutely use a circular polarizer.

And people should realize that a polarizing filter doesn't always correct a "washed out" blue sky. It depends on angle to the sun, etc.

It may not make all photos perfect, but the OP & others are referring to Alaska & a circular polarizer is indeed extremely helpful (I believe a necessity) up there. Check out the Photography forum, there are LOTS of threads on this topic.

I have to, respectfully, disagree here regarding a CP being overkill for a lot of people. For MOST people, it is the proper filter. Here is a link that will help people understand polarization & selection of linear vs. circular:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Polarizer

And here is the 2-sentence summary on selecting the right polarizing filter:

"You should use a circular polarizer if your camera has autofocus or built-in light metering features. However, if you focus manually, and use a hand-held light meter, you can use a linear polarizer on any camera you wish."

The OP is not focusing manually & is certainly not using a hand-held light meter. Therefore, the OP, if desiring a polarizing filter, should absolutely use a circular polarizer.

It may not make all photos perfect, but the OP & others are referring to Alaska & a circular polarizer is indeed extremely helpful (I believe a necessity) up there. Check out the Photography forum, there are LOTS of threads on this topic.

You're right about the autofocus bit; I was thinking back to my old (1960s on) days with an SLR, before widespread autofocus and P&S cameras. I'm not as certain about the light metering, though.

Personally, I think a polarizer is the one essential filter for a photographer. (Yes, I have lots of others.) And since you're obviously more up to date on this than I am, I will defer to you. Thanks for the corrections.

just curious what are the coffee mugs for, don't mean to sound stupid but I heard they upgraded to nice ceramic mugs

Citygirl - those insulate coffee mugs with lids that people have in their cars, or take to a coffee shop to avoid getting yet one more paper or foam disposable coffee cup! They are great for going up to the buffet and grabbing coffee to take back to your room. Or for walking with a coffee or tea around the deck. Much easier than a regular coffee mug!

Archived