Cabins for 5?

tbag124

I'm sure this has been asked here before but I am trying to search and get a database error.

Are the only options for a family of 5 - 2 connecting rooms or a suite? And which suites will accommodate? I thought there may be a running list around here that might list some good options? Space-wise I would think you'd need all the room you can get, so 2 cabins vs. a bigger room may be the way to go?? I am looking into this for a friend.

Thanks! :)

I recently read on the NCL board about one of the ship that has 'regular' cabins that sleep five... I think they have pull downs as well as a trundle bed... I can't remember which ship it was now though... might have been the Spirit?

I think you're only going to want to find a 5-person regular cabin if you don't plan on spending much time in it, though... I know it would work fine for us, because our cabin is just a glorified bed, closet and bathroom, so we've done insides with three and four and been fine - so I'm sure if we had one more 'tuckaway' bed, we'd be just as good. If you like to spend time relaxing in your cabin, however, you'll probably want more space than that. :)

This is what I've written in the past about rooms for a family of 5.

On Carnival's older ships they will allow you to book 5 people into a regular stateroom. Spirit Class and Conquest class do not allow you to book 5 people into a regular stateroom, but they may allow you to book 5 people into a suite.

RCCL has several options for family rooms that are specifically designed to hold 5 (or more people). They require a minimum of 5 people to book and cannot be booked online.

Your options for 5 people (or more) on RCCL ships:

Grand Suites and Owners Suites - RCCL will allow you to put a 5th person in these suites. They bring in a rollaway bed for the 5th person.

Family Inside Stateroom - requires a minimum of 5 people to book, holds max 6 people. All of our Family Staterooms can accommodate up to six people, with two twin beds, sofa and/or Pullman beds. Other amenities include a minibar and sitting area.

Family Promenade Stateroom - requires a minimum of 5 people to book, holds max 6 people. All of our Family Staterooms can accommodate up to six people, with two twin beds, sofa and/or Pullman beds. Other amenities include a minibar and sitting area.

Family Oceanview Stateroom - requires a minimum of 5 people to book, holds max 6 people. All of our Family Ocean View Staterooms can accommodate up to six people, with two twin beds, sofa and/or Pullman beds. Other amenities include a minibar (except on Vision of the Seas) and sitting area.

Royal Family Suite - requires a minumum of 5 people to book, holds a max of 8 people. Has 2 bedrooms AND 2 bathrooms, plus because it is a suite you get concierge lounge access (on ships that have a concierge lounge). On most ships, our Royal Family Suite has enough space to accommodate eight people, with two bedrooms including four twin beds, two Pullman beds and a double sofa bed. All have a separate living area, two bathrooms, vanity area and refrigerator, among their amenities.

Presidential Family Suite - requires a minimum of 8 people to book, holds a max of 14 people. The Presidential Family Suite has four bathrooms, a spacious living area with entertainment center and flat screen TV. The private balcony includes a whirlpool, wet bar, lounge chairs and an al fresco dining area that seats fourteen.

Be aware that not every ship has all the family staterooms. You have to call RCCL or book with a travel agent in order to book more than 4 people in a room.

Another thing to think about is that on RCCL's Voyager class and Freedom class, they have a couple of inside cabins that have a connecting door with a balcony stateroom (they also have oceanview cabins with a connecting door to a balcony stateroom). So that might be an option as well.

I believe Canadian Twosome is right about one NCL ship allowing 5 people into a regular stateroom. I thought it was the Sun, but it may be the Spirit.

On Celebrity, the FOV category will accommodate 5 people.

This is what I've written in the past about rooms for a family of 5.

I believe Canadian Twosome is right about one NCL ship allowing 5 people into a regular stateroom. I thought it was the Sun, but it may be the Spirit.

On Celebrity, the FOV category will accommodate 5 people.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! :) I'm inclined to trust your memory better than mine on this, though, since obviously you've done a lot more research into a 5-person cabin than I have... I just remember seeing a thread about it... and both ships start with an 'S'! :p

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! :) I'm inclined to trust your memory better than mine on this, though, since obviously you've done a lot more research into a 5-person cabin than I have... I just remember seeing a thread about it... and both ships start with an 'S'! :p

I always forget about that NCL ship when I'm typing up the info. One of these years we'll have to figure out which one of us is correct.:D

Of course my "research" is all 6 months old. I believe there will be additions to my list in the next few years with some of the new ships from RCCL, Carnival, and Celebrity. More and more it seems the ships are recognizing that not all households are 2 parents and 2 kids only.

It is the NCL Sun that has cabins for 5.

The Dawn, Pearl, Star, Gem, Jade, and Jewel all have great suites that will accomodate 5. The AB Pentouse suite is a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite. The VIP perks of a butler and concierge rival most upscale lines. These suites are more expensive but they are really worth it.

We love the Spirit but the Spirit only has inside cabins for 4. There are no outside, balcony, or suites for 4. All of these have a max 3 occupancy. the only adjoining/connecting cabins are balconies or an AC suite connected to a balcony cabin.

saw your question, just wanted to post our recent experience on carnival. We are a family of five, and originally booked a suite,, but with extra family members coming along, we basically ended up with two cabins after all. We sailed on the Ecstasy in the cat 12 cabin (the small ships that allow five in the penthouse cat 12 cabins) and our kids are 15, 11, and 10. Two girls and one boy. I can tell you now from our personal experience the two rooms were far far better than the one big room. See for us, us girls need room lol and my pre/teenage girls scattered their room completely and then our son stayed with us in our big room and there was five of us in there and it was nice but a little crowded and the bathroom became an issue too. Long story short when we take our next family trip, we will definitely get two rooms.

Hope this helps a little. !! Have fun on your trip it will be great!

I have a family of 5 too. What I found as far as pricing is that a Family Ocean View on RCCL is my best bet. I did not however compare that to two inside cabins as DH must have at least a window. Mainly that price difference is due to the whole first and second passenger vs fourth adn fifth passenger price difference.

We just traveled on Carnival Conquest.

There were 6 of us:

We booked 6A Oceanview rooms

My husband and I and my 4 yr old son in one room

In the connecting /adjoining room my mother in law, father in law and sister in law (30 yrs old).

They pushed the beds together for my husband and I and my in-laws.

My sister in law slept in the sofa bed and my son slept in our sofa bed. My sister in law is 6 feet tall, she is big and tall and slept comfortably in the sofa bed. It perfectly accomodated her height.

I would think that if you could, booking 2 cabins with a connecting door would be the supreme choice, because you get the discount on the 3rd passenger in each room and you get 2 bathrooms!! We had plenty of space in each room and although my husband packed enough for 2 weeks, we never ran out of storage space.

The room was quite large and it had 3 closets and I think 3 large drawers in each room. You could store empty luggage under the bed and the restrooms had shelving to store beauty products.

There were also 2 cabinets on either side of the bed for extra storage. It worked out perfectly for us.

I think you have to book early to get adjoining cabins --we booked in January 08 for our trip in August 08.

Good luck to you!

Angela

Archived