Will Princess Provide a Wheelchair?

Sandytoes

Today while having my manicure done I slipped in the foot bath.

To make a long story short. I just returned from the hospital, wearing a splint and walking with crutches.

Which is extremely difficult for several reasons.

DH asked me if I wanted to cancel my cruise tomorrow.

I really don't. My heart is set on cruising tomorrow. :(

My question is this - will Princess provide me with a wheelchair?

It's too late to rent one. Stores are closed.

I am really worried about getting around the ship on crutches.

I know it's too late to change my cabin to a handicap cabin.

But, that's another issue.

If anyone has info on wheelchairs (borrowing) it will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Brokentoes aka Sandytoes Chris

;)

Today while having my manicure done I slipped in the foot bath.

To make a long story short. I just returned from the hospital, wearing a splint and walking with crutches.

Which is extremely difficult for several reasons.

DH asked me if I wanted to cancel my cruise tomorrow.

I really don't. My heart is set on cruising tomorrow. :(

My question is this - will Princess provide me with a wheelchair?

It's too late to rent one. Stores are closed.

I am really worried about getting around the ship on crutches.

I know it's too late to change my cabin to a handicap cabin.

But, that's another issue.

If anyone has info on wheelchairs (borrowing) it will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Brokentoes aka Sandytoes Chris

;)

Aww Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear it. Well, this will be a story for the boards down the line, eh?

I'm hoping they have a small chariot for ya. You go have a great time anyway! :)

Tee

Thanks Tee

I did a search here on CC and

I found out that Princess does have

complimentary wheelchairs.

I called them immediately and they

arranged for someone to meet me right at

the door.

Not to sure how this will all work out being

I am not in a handicapped room.

We'll see.

As long as I don't have to cancel my cruise

tomorrow, I'm a happy camper.

Signing off now, meds are really kicking in now..:D

Chris, so sorry to hear this. But look at it as just another bump in the road. :) You were soooo close too. How the heck did you slip in the footbath, were you doing a jig or something.......

Wait till Glenn and the gang get going on this one.

You will be first in line for everthing. :)

:(

I just called Princess again to confirm wheelchair.

The rep stated that being I called way too late

they can not arrange for me to have a wheelchair onboard.

:eek:..:(

So, I guess I'll be in the back of the line with the rest of them..:rolleyes:. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~

Northender ~ Re: gang and Glenn - I am sure they will have a field day with this one....Limpytoes, crackedtoes, smashytoes....:cool:

See ya when I come back. Take care!

Just got off the CB and we travelled with my mother in law who needed a wheelchair. when you arrive a embarkation let the shore reps know and they will get you the chair and help you (and your party) on board avoiding the usual lines. The ship may then switch you to another chair but they will provide one. You will also be offered excellent assistance at the buffet and while getting off and on the ship in port. Good luck and enjoy

:(

I just called Princess again to confirm wheelchair.

The rep stated that being I called way too late

they can not arrange for me to have a wheelchair onboard.

:eek:..:(

So, I guess I'll be in the back of the line with the rest of them..:rolleyes:. ;)

Hogwash. When you get there, ask for wheelchair assistance. They will have someone come with a wheelchair who will assist you through check-in and to the gangway. Shore people are not allowed on the ship so once at the gangway, someone from the ship has to wheel you onto the ship and to your cabin. If they won't let you keep the wheelchair, contact the Medical Center and if it takes a doctor's visit, they have wheelchairs. The wheelchairs fold so it shouldn't be a problem getting into and out of your cabin as long as you can use your crutches to get into the cabin and move around.

After boarding, a packet will be sent to your cabin with information on which tours they recommend for those with limited walking. They will also include information on disembarkation.

When you disembark, they will direct you to a lounge set aside for those needing assistance. That's where they'll have the Princess staff ready to assist you. You will disembark with the rest when your color is called but the same thing happens when you disembark: the Princess people take you only across the gangway and leave you there for the shore helpers who will assist you through Customs and Immigration, get your bags, etc.

Be prepared to drop a bunch of $$ to your "helpers." Also, if you are flying, contact your airline and let them know you need wheelchair assistance. Once you're in a wheelchair, they will take you to the head of the check-in line as well as the Security line and take you directly to your gate.

• 2 weeks later...
Hogwash. When you get there, ask for wheelchair assistance. They will have someone come with a wheelchair who will assist you through check-in and to the gangway. Shore people are not allowed on the ship so once at the gangway, someone from the ship has to wheel you onto the ship and to your cabin. If they won't let you keep the wheelchair, contact the Medical Center and if it takes a doctor's visit, they have wheelchairs. The wheelchairs fold so it shouldn't be a problem getting into and out of your cabin as long as you can use your crutches to get into the cabin and move around.

After boarding, a packet will be sent to your cabin with information on which tours they recommend for those with limited walking. They will also include information on disembarkation.

When you disembark, they will direct you to a lounge set aside for those needing assistance. That's where they'll have the Princess staff ready to assist you. You will disembark with the rest when your color is called but the same thing happens when you disembark: the Princess people take you only across the gangway and leave you there for the shore helpers who will assist you through Customs and Immigration, get your bags, etc.

As soon as I drove into the terminal there was a Princess staff member with a wheelchair waiting for us. He waited with me while my DH parked the car.

We went through check-in and the assistant wheeled me directly to my cabin.

He was allowed on board being he was a head waiter in the Palm.

(who we used for the entire time).

We notified the Pursers desk that I needed a wheel chair. It was in my cabin close to 5pm. Fold up type which fit in the closet area.

I was allowed to use it for the entire cruise.

It was very easy to borrow and return.

Thanks to Princess for having wheel chairs to borrow. I don't think I could have made it around the ship without it.

Archived