Goodbye Emerald

I thought some may enjoy a couple of pictures of Thomson i've just had digitised from the cruise ship that got me addicted to cruising, she may be old and a bit worn but we'll miss her when she's gone!

Emerald from Santorini cable car.

Launch used for tender to shore in Rovinj

Emerald capt. piloting ship out (sorry it's a bit blurry!)

IMAGE055.jpg.a2f83a0887660107a9bd383ba44fd60d.jpg

IMAGE096.jpg.49c05f61985889bcf97a97526fa16213.jpg

IMAGE048.jpg.88d845a7fa79aa08be37e816ed02c831.jpg

We did a transatlantic on her in 1998/99 season. By far the best cruise we've ever been on. Super friendly staff and a quality of service that is sadly lacking these days.

----

The cruise director helped you set up special events: for example my wife and I played cribbage a lot and so we started a cribbage group to play a couple of times during the cruise. They even listed us in the daily magazine as an organized event!

We got to spend time with the stage show staff, and even asked for a specific singer to give an 'Unplugged' session where she sang her favourite songs in one of the lounges.

The trip was so relaxing that when the plane returning to England landed, no-body undid their seat belt or jumped out as soon as it stopped. A guy at the back of the plane asked for his luggage to be passed back and it was.

The customs officers had to ask us to go through because everyone was still standing around chatting after collecting our bags.

A most memorable ship and sad to see the old girl going to rest.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
To all who are sailing the Emerald have a wonderful time. She is our favourite Thomson ship. We celebrated our 40th WA on her and had a holiday to remember.

SS The Emerald is my favourite ship ever. I'm so sad to see her go. Went on the Black Sea cruise in October because couldn't bear her to be on her last cruise. Crew were fantastic, as ever, some had returned specially for the voyage, others had been on the ship for years and were so sad to see her go. Anyone got any updates on what's happening to her? :(

Archived