Brilliance in the Med. 22 June-4 July 08 Barcelona/Venice/Barcelona (long) THE SHIP

BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS CRUISE IN THE MEDITERRANEAN SEA

Barcelona/ Venice/ Barcelona.

22 June - 4 July 2008

PART 2 - "ON BOARD BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS"

Here is The second part of my cruise review. It deals with the ship (food, service, cabin, entertainment, passengers, etc….).

I hope you find it informative.

As usual… it’s a bit long. But as the text is structured by paragraph, you can just read those that interest you best.

The first part, just posted yesterday, is about the itinerary (description of port of calls). Here is the link :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=822352

Enjoy!

If you have any question, I'll be pleased to give you answers, when ever possible.

Jacques O, Paris.

-------

THE SHIP.

Brief description of the ship

BOTS –Brilliance of the Seas-, is big (90 000+ tons), but still ‘human sized’, and well appointed. Incidentally, this ‘Radiance’ series is the equivalent to the ‘Millennium’ series of Celebrity, but looked bigger. I also find her better looking, more handsome that the Millennium series, thanks to her curvaceous lines and all-white livery.

The lay out works very well. Even almost full, the flow of passengers is smooth; there is no bottle neck.

Generally speaking, the interiors are very RCI like – so, rather unimaginative and bland. Still, there are a few rooms that I found nicely decorated or tastefully furnished: the after lounge (Colony Club); the dining room, and the two “extra charge” restaurants. Besides, no one will fail to miss the atrium, an impressive well, soaring 9 decks, with its bubble lifts, and balconies on most levels.

Our cabin

We had a balcony cabin (n° 7534, category E1) on deck 7, forward, starboard, which is the lowest level for balcony cabins. There, such cabins have a very deep balcony, well, more like a real terrace! Something we enjoyed very much – there was even a sun lounger. The cabin was very comfortable, but I found it somewhat crammed and compact. Although there was a (small) sofa, we hardly used to sit down… as it was used to put our gear!

There was sufficient storage – including drawers. The beds were comfortable, although the bedding itself (I mean linen) was too small! It thus made it impossible to have a nice, well ‘tucked in’ bed. Pity, for the linen was of very nice quality

The bathroom was of adequate size. What I found below expectation was the A/C which was a bit warm. Likewise, the water in the bathroom –weather from the faucet or that from the shower– was not cool at all! The “coolest” I got was warm. When you get back from excursion when it’s very hot, I guess you enjoy a cool shower. It was not the case. I didn’t enjoy “warm” showers, as this doesn’t really help relax and refresh yourself. Drinking warm water was no pleasure either, not to mention that water had a strong chlorine taste – but we would use the ice from the ice bucket, occasionally. The idea is (and we forgot to do it regularly) to put small bottles of water in the fridge. You can also try to fill up a small bottle from the drinking machines on the upper decks, but it’s not allowed (there’s a sign mentioning this….. and once, a staff from the cafeteria told me off!)..

Passengers

The ship carried 2249 Pax, with 1224 from the US, 329 from the UK, 143 from Spain, and 103 from Canada. Since the cruise took place just at the beginning of the summer leave in the US, there were many families. People behaved OK in general, but I noticed many youths that were impolite and very insolent. Met some nice people, first contacted on “Cruise Critic” (CC).

I thought there would be some French people, let's say, French speakers. That was not the case. There were only 6 French all together. I only heard French twice: a family from Canada. We did not share our table for dinner with French speakers. Something quite frustrating for my mother, because she doesn’t speak English. But she says she doesn’t mind that situation. The first night, after dinner, I spoke to the Maitre d’h, in order to be placed with French speakers, but he told me it would not be possible…. How come?! Didn’t work out why, until he told me that on top of us, there were 4 other French! They were 1st sitting diners and seated at different tables! In fact, I was glad to be assigned to the 2nd sitting, and not the first, which was the only one available, till a couple of weeks before departure. But in the meantime, they had set up the ‘My Time Dining’ (the open dining programme) system, hence, making seats available for the late sitting. This one took place at 9, pm, which was perhaps a bit late…Yet, we never managed to do much before being ready for dinner! The fixed sitting diner took place on the lower section of the dining, room, whereas the (new) flexible one took place on the upper level.

We had daily programmes in French (as well as in English of course). We appreciated the fact that the international hostess contacted us to check if everything was alright. We popped to her ‘international desk’ to have a chat with her. She appeared very friendly and helpful (not that we had any problem). This is the first time that we are contacted by the hostess in charge of the “international guests”. She is German and speaks fluently 5 languages! And certainly, she is very fluent in French.

Service

The staff was courteous and helpful. We had two very professional waiters for the table at dinner. One was a young guy from Mauritius who spoke French, so that was nice for my mother – and after a few nights, I asked for menus in French for her, which we got.

Our cabin maid did a very good job, and was very welcoming. She even provided us with bath robes when I asked, even if we were only Royal Caribbean’s ‘golden members’. Most nights, we had towels made as animals, which made us laugh!

Food

Food was nice (better than that on the Poesia!), although my mother was not too impressed with the food on the Brilliance! For sure, though, dessert (like cakes and gâteaux) was not as tasty as on the MSC ship.

Choice was satisfying, but it seems that it was more or less the same thing, days after days…. For instance, the beef meat or fish would be presented every now and then under different form! This said, meat was good, but not the most tender and tasty I had on a cruise ship. For dinner, steak of salmon or beef were always on the menu; I had salmon steak once, but found it dry – not god at all, to be honest. Dessert was rather ordinary, and ice cream (especially sherbet) quite poor. But as a whole, food quality was fair.

I liked the windjammer cafeteria. It’s a vast room, and was not crowded. Its strong point is the large after terrace, with great views over the ocean! Food choice was more than acceptable –and there was always something that I fancied very much. Likewise, we occasionally had a snack – pasta or pizza (portion were too large for just a snack!) at the Sea View Café, when the Windjammer was not open. Oh, I liked the sushi at the Windjammer for an early evening snack, like the egg Benedict for breakfast at the dining room (but they didn’t seem to have poached haddock, which is another of my favourite!).

We had breakfast twice at the dining room. But never lunch there…. although it had been planned twice…but too much activity prevented us from visiting the restaurant at the opening hours! I was quite cross!

We sometimes had breakfast served in our cabin on some mornings of days ashore. The order arrived on time (they phoned up to warned us that it was on its way), and matched what was requested the night before.

We were satisfied with what was offered for dinner, so there was no need to dine at the ‘extra fare’ restaurants, the ‘steak house’ or the ‘trattoria’, though when we had a look at them, we found them very attractive and well laid out. Understandably, the menu appeared enticing.

I would be critical in saying that the variety of dishes lacked imagination, but how can the Chef be imaginative when he has to cook for 2250 Pax? Honestly, the dining room and windjammer café, together with the Sea view café matched my requirements and expectations.

Our location at the dining room (DR) was not the best. We had a big table (for 12?), forward, on the starboard side, by the window, close to the ‘private’ DR ‘Zephir’. The area, way from the central section, looked crammed (because of the large tables, all too close together) and the noise. We therefore did not have the impression of being seated in a grand dining room, with two levels and a balcony. We shared the table with a couple from New Jersey in the US and their daughter, nice people, easy going, and a family of Norwegians, a couple and their son, nice people too, well educated. Sometimes, a couple from LA would turn up, but they did not really mingle with us.

Cost killing was obvious, for he who had taken many cruise in the past and can therefore draw comparisons.

The dining room was not open for lunch when the ship was ‘at port’ (not that I minded that, though… because we never came back for some food at mid day). This is the first time the DR is closed on port days (as far as I can remember my previous cruises). There never was any midnight buffet – even on one of formal nights. Snacks and bites were offered each evening in the main lounges. One night, there was a party by the (outdoor midship) pool, with music and entertainment, and a buffet (mainly fruit, cakes and ice creams, which were really adequate). The only night buffet we had. Nevertheless, one day at sea, a nice barbecue was organized by the pool.

The gala dinners were fine, but there was no Beef Wellington, nor lobster – we had giant shrimps instead, which were very nice, though. People accustomed to sailing with RCI pointed out the diner menu, though adequate, used to be more extensive… or more inventive.

Entertainment

As a whole, it was pretty decent. We liked the shows – at least those I or we attended.

One particular was one given by an Elton John look-alike! Truly amazing and fantastic. One of the best shows ever enjoyed on a cruise!

Small bands and singers were very enjoyable. In particular, there was a piano player and singer, at the Schooner bar, who was very popular and performed with great talent. He certainly was very entertaining and always had a good audience!

We sometimes took part in some trivia/ quiz, with some people met thanks to ‘CC’ -Cruise Critic-, and even won twice a small prize.

I was pleased to attend the ‘Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle’ gathering. It was good to meet fellow members first ‘met’ on the internet. There was a raffle and every one won something! My price was a Royal Caribbean travel documents holder, made leather (I guess!). It was nice to meet the Cruise director who hosted the gathering, and even the Captain, who turned up to say hello.

Various

The outdoor pool area was very busy during daytime at sea, so were the upper decks, but there was no problem with finding a sun lounger free. Not that I needed one, but I noticed that they were not all occupied of ‘made occupied’ by way of a book or a towel put on them! I found the outdoor space on the Brilliance very vast. I’m not one who enjoys basking in the sun, so this issue is no issue for me, really! If I want a bit of peace and quiet, I spend some time on the cabin balcony…. Which at times was not so comfortable because occasionally people on either side were talking loudly or even smoking! I prefer strolling on the vast expanse of free decks than lying on a sun lounger!

The midship outdoor pool, for all public, was packed during the day – it was chaos! But I enjoyed a swim a few of times, as well as the hot tubs, in the morning, at about 7:45 am… when the place was almost deserted! The forward one, covered by a removable skylight, was reserved to adults. I did not try it. It was not too busy, though.

Like what has been carried out on Celebrity’s “Millenniun” series, a new diesel generator has been put into the machinery space, low in the ship, during the overhaul in Germany in late spring this year, once the transatlantic repositioning crossing over. It is not functioning yet. I understand the installing is still being carried out, as well as the testing, so that the new engine works later this year. Its aim is mainly to act as a substitute to the gas turbines, when the ship is not at sea, since they have a low return. Even at sea, it could be used in tandem with one of the two gas turbines, allowing the use of only one of them… thus saving a lot of expensive fuel .

Speed was not bad at all! Sometimes, it was quite sustained, above 23 or even 24 knots. I well remember 24,7 knots once displayed on the ‘navigation channel’! Great! So that’s “fuel supplement” money well spent! I don’t like when cruise ships just “dawdle”!

Regarding the dress code, I have to say that I don’t pay too much attention theses days…. Not anymore…because people seem to be dressed as if they were going to the supermarket on Saturday afternoon. Pathetic, I agree! This half joke apart, some people were properly dressed for dinner, when it was a formal night. Not that the majority of men wore tuxedos, though many did, but some had a very nice suit on, even with a tie!

Price of drinks was fair. The cocktail of the day was 6,95 UDS, a ‘mid budget’ wine for dinner was about 27 USD, and a standard cocktail 7,50 USD (like a Manhattan); all these given prices are exclusive of the 15% service charge. Well, for us, paying in the end with euros was quite affordable! But this did not mean we ended up with a hefty bar bill! Still, we had wine every night.

The duty free shop sold hard drinks at a fairly high price. You were not allowed to take it to your cabin. Mind you, on the booze issue, it was stated at the gangway that it was forbidden to take back alcohol purchased ashore. In Naples I had bought a bottle of “Lachryma Christi” wine (a noted wine that grows at the foot of the Vesuvio), which we had intended to drink one evening as an aperitif on our terrace….Well, it got confiscated! (I wasn’t pleased!...)- it was returned to the cabin the last night. The second time, I had just one bottle of beer and got away with it! My word! They are so strict! The gentleman from New Jersey at our table for dinner, told us that when he and his group came back from a tour that included a winery visit, back to the ship, the security staff could not deal with all those who had brought back bottles! He managed to keep his wine!

The Captain was Hakan Lindegren, from Sweden (in his late 40’s I reckon). He is and congenial man, who enjoyed meeting his “guests”. I understand he is a very popular captain. The cruise director was Bill Brunkhorst from the US. I found him very professional, even modest and certainly not arrogant at all.

“Extra” announcements were sometimes made (both in English and Spanish), but it did not bother me (it was about bingo, auction, and evening show time – the latter was not always after diner if you had a fixed dining-room sitting allocation).

CONCLUSION

All, in all, it was an excellent cruise. The itinerary was tip-top, the ship very comfortable, the amenities, service and food very good. Still, I noticed a few areas when cost cutting was tangible.

Yes, the Brilliance is a lovely ship. She is well laid out and is endowed with a functional design. The decoration follows the tradition of the other RCI vessels – no extravaganza à la Farcus for instance-, with a few pleasant rooms that are nicely furnished and decorated with taste.

I understand that the Brilliance is the most popular and best loved of the Radiance series. I guess this feeling is forested by the presence of the Captain and the Cruise director, as well as a happy crew.

She is positioned year round in the Med for 2008/ 2009, and I’m sure she’ll be a success there… I’m no ruling out the possibility of sailing on her early next year…

End of review

Wonderful, in-depth review, thank you.

FYI - the water on board is kept in tanks at the very bottom of the ship, and is "cooled" only by the ocean. The temperature of the "cold" tap and shower water is the temperature of the water that you are sailing in.

A topic that has been discussed at length on this board.

Glad you had a good cruise!

Archived