RCCL Takes 3 Weeks to Return Bag - What Would You Ask For?

My family and I got off Independence on July 12 at Southampton, and one of our bags was nowhere to be found. Somehow, it got lost between the ship and the terminal - a distance of about 20 yards. I filed a report on the spot, and we returned to the US that day.

A RCCL rep left a phone message on July 16 saying they'd found the bag, and would contact us with shipping info. Waited 3 more days. Nothing. My wife began calling RCCL reps daily, demanding information. For awhile, no one could even confirm that they'd actually found the bag. Our travel agent even joined in, but only got the reply that "this never happens."

On July 29, my wife finally got confirmation the bag had shipped and got a Fedex tracking number. July 30 initiated two days of phone tag with someone at Fedex who needed my SSN to get US Customs to release the bag.

The bag finally showed up August 4, full of pretty nasty-smelling clothes.

So, what would you ask for from RCCL, and how would you go about it?

P.S. my trip insurance (Travelex) does not cover baggage delays when returning home -

since you can't prove that your luggage was lost by the cruise line - after leaving the ship it was handled by stevedores and other shore personnel - I think I would just be thankful that I finally got the bag full of smelly clothes back and get on with my life. I had a piece of luggage which fell into the water between the ship and the pier when it was being handled by shore personnel who were unloading the luggage. The cruise line did offer to pay for laundry and cleaning of clothes, but they were under no obligation to do so and I would not have thought of asking for "compensation"

I'd get down on my knees and beg them for forgiveness for even considering criticising them :rolleyes:

at least, that's what the RC vigilantes would have you believe

me, I'd chase first for an apology, then for whatever they are prepared to offer - they broke their commitment to you to return your luggage safely and you are entitled to some sort of recompense, even if it's only a few vouchers/onboard credit towards another cruise

I dont know why you want compensation.:confused: ...........be glad you didnt happen as you got on the ship.........compensation is to make you whole again(Ok,I watch too much judge shows)..

Ok,if you REALLY want something,maybe reimbursement for the phone calls...:rolleyes:

I think that expecting much more than an apology is reaching. Compared to the number of bags lost by the airlines every day, your experience was really a rare occurrence, and while obviously it wasn't a happy experience, it also wasn't tragic. If you can somehow show that the delay caused you serious inconvenience (IMHO hard to do when you are headed home for vacation and not beginning one- or significant out of pocket expenses) you might have a case but I doubt that anything they do for you will be for any reason other than good customer relations. Now that you know the shortcomings of your travel insurance policy, you should take that into consideration the next time you are looking at travel insurance policies and coverages.:)

If no clothes were permanently damaged, I'd think the best you'd get would be a voucher towards a future cruise. However, there's no harm in telling them how you feel about what happened and see what they'll offer. I would be so happy I got my bag back, but obviously not pleased about the whole situation.

If no clothes were permanently damaged, I'd think the best you'd get would be a voucher towards a future cruise. However, there's no harm in telling them how you feel about what happened and see what they'll offer. I would be so happy I got my bag back, but obviously not pleased about the whole situation.

Why do you think that warrants a certificate??:confused:

You have to be kidding me. A voucher for a cruise for a delayed bag. I hope they don't "Lose" your bag because you might expect a voucher for 12 people to cruise.

My family and I got off Independence on July 12 at Southampton, and one of our bags was nowhere to be found. Somehow, it got lost between the ship and the terminal - a distance of about 20 yards. I filed a report on the spot, and we returned to the US that day.

A RCCL rep left a phone message on July 16 saying they'd found the bag, and would contact us with shipping info. Waited 3 more days. Nothing. My wife began calling RCCL reps daily, demanding information. For awhile, no one could even confirm that they'd actually found the bag. Our travel agent even joined in, but only got the reply that "this never happens."

On July 29, my wife finally got confirmation the bag had shipped and got a Fedex tracking number. July 30 initiated two days of phone tag with someone at Fedex who needed my SSN to get US Customs to release the bag.

The bag finally showed up August 4, full of pretty nasty-smelling clothes.

So, what would you ask for from RCCL, and how would you go about it?

P.S. my trip insurance (Travelex) does not cover baggage delays when returning home -

You don't seem to be getting a lot of support. I think, as most others, that I'd be glad to get my luggage returned.

What the heck is an RC vigilante? :D:D:D

someone who jumps on another forum member with full force, at the first sign of anything negative being said against Royal Caribbean

there are lots of them around, all too eager to pounce on any unsuspecting posters who unwittingly step into their territory :)

I said voucher TOWARDS a future cruise, not a free cruise. It obviously doesn't warrant a free cruise. I was thinking of some small amount off their next cruise.

I edited before you posted..i read it wrong.......but still dont think they deserve a certificate..

someone who jumps on another forum member with full force, at the first sign of anything negative being said against Royal Caribbean

there are lots of them around, all too eager to pounce on any unsuspecting posters who unwittingly step into their territory :)

So...anyone who doesn't think the OP deserves anything because their bag was lost and then returned is an RC vigilante?

Cool!:)

Why compensation for a delayed bag. You got it didn't you. I would just be very happy they found it and thanked them very much.

I agree. The liability of the cruiseline is much like the liability of an airline, and we all know what the airlines do to our luggage, even if it arrives in time.

They found it, they shipped it, they remained in contact to ensure it got to the owners. In fact, they didn't lose it and it wasn't actually their responsibility.

Thank them for taking all the time and care they took to ensure you saw it again.

...and I want to know too, why were the clothes smelly????:eek:

Fran in Toronto

I agree. The liability of the cruiseline is much like the liability of an airline, and we all know what the airlines do to our luggage, even if it arrives in time.

They found it, they shipped it, they remained in contact to ensure it got to the owners. In fact, they didn't lose it and it wasn't actually their responsibility.

Thank them for taking all the time and care they took to ensure you saw it again.

...and I want to know too, why were the clothes smelly????:eek:

Fran in Toronto

Because they were dirty clothes that spent three weeks locked inside a suitcase, lol.

Archived