waterproof shoes suggestion

inkmahm

Do you expect to get really wet? Cuz otherwise, just bring your regular walking shoes and spray them with waterproof spray.

I wouldn't buy waterproof shoes just for an Alaskan trip. If you get some, get ones you'd wear all the time in Wisconsin.

Do you expect to get really wet? Cuz otherwise, just bring your regular walking shoes and spray them with waterproof spray.

I wouldn't buy waterproof shoes just for an Alaskan trip. If you get some, get ones you'd wear all the time in Wisconsin.

I wouldn't buy them just for Alaska, either. That's why I said "I wear the Mammoth Crocs at home all winter long."

I also have my regular walking shoes and do have them sprayed to make them waterproof. They are not as WARM as the Mammoth crocs though. I can wear those in the winter at home without socks and my feet are actually toasty warm.

I bought waterproof shoes for this trip to Alaska mainly because we were taking 3 small boat trips. I never put them on my feet the entire 14-day cruise even though we had rain in several ports and during one glacier day. I wore my regular untreated walking shoes and my feet never got wet even in Skagway and Juneau where it was very rainy and cold. Unless you are going hiking the terrain is such that you won't get your feet wet even in the rain unless it is really coming down hard. Since I have big feet, I wish I had used the space for something else.

I wouldn't buy them just for Alaska, either. That's why I said "I wear the Mammoth Crocs at home all winter long."

I also have my regular walking shoes and do have them sprayed to make them waterproof. They are not as WARM as the Mammoth crocs though. I can wear those in the winter at home without socks and my feet are actually toasty warm.

Are you gonna walk on a glacier? Cuz unless you do something really cold, Alaska really isn't that cold. You're going in the summer. Even at a place like glacier bay, while it's pretty windy, regular running shoes are fine. If you do walk on a glacier, see if the tour company provides gear. Many do, which means you prolly won't need to pack much just for that excursion.

You haven't mentioned your itinirary so I can only guess. But if you just do the typical stuff, your regular walking shoes (with some warm socks) or the crocs will be fine.

Minnesotan here. Sounds like a good investment for mild winter days in my neck of the woods, too. I'll be cruising in Alaska in September. Thanks for the tip.

I wore them all winter long last year in Wisconsin! Without socks. The only problem would be deep snow. If you stay where it is already shoveled, these work great all winter long. I wouldn't wear them to trudge through snow banks.

Are you gonna walk on a glacier? Cuz unless you do something really cold, Alaska really isn't that cold. You're going in the summer. Even at a place like glacier bay, while it's pretty windy, regular running shoes are fine. If you do walk on a glacier, see if the tour company provides gear. Many do, which means you prolly won't need to pack much just for that excursion.

You haven't mentioned your itinirary so I can only guess. But if you just do the typical stuff, your regular walking shoes (with some warm socks) or the crocs will be fine.

Huh? :confused: That's exactly what I'm taking, my regular walking shoes and my crocs.

So are you asking for suggestions or giving one (telling people to try the Crocs)?

I was assuming you're asking for suggestions. Now I'm realizing you may be just telling people which shoe you're bringing and they're free to do the same.

We jusr wore our regular runners in all 3 ports and it was raining in Juneau .... had no problems about wet shoes, wet jeans, etc ... we used our $ store rain poncho on the glacier for the helicopter glacier walk and then umbrellas in town for shopping, etc worked fine - nothing got that soaking wet that we had to go back to the ship to change .. was just like when it rains at home.

My husband and I bought Vasque Mantra XCR multi-sports. His shoes are five sizes larger than mine...he paid $90.00 for his...I paid $125.00 for mine. Like they think I wouldn't notice people? :mad: Talk about discrimination...where are Hillary and Nancy (Pelosi) when we need them ladies?

The shoes we bought will probably will do just fine in the rain up in Alaska...but I still really wanna pair of Xtratufs...yes I do.

Yes Murray, I'm trying to pack carefully. But if I need extra warmth I'll look for something up there...I always like to look like a walking billboard for whatever destination I'm in.

So are you asking for suggestions or giving one (telling people to try the Crocs)?

I was assuming you're asking for suggestions. Now I'm realizing you may be just telling people which shoe you're bringing and they're free to do the same.

No, not asking for suggestions. I was making the suggestion because I love my Mammoth crocs! Sorry I was confusing. :)

I own several pairs of Crocs but I really do not consider them walking shoes. I wear my Mammoths more like slippers and might run errands in them but definately would not take them anywhere I planned on doing alot of walking. The biggest issue is traction, I have slipped in mine several times in snow and also on wet pavement. I think they'd be really dangerous on a wet boat deck, or boat dock for that matter. In addition to that, they don't provide enough support for me to walk in them for long periods. I definately perfer something with a firmer sole.

Anyone who does not own Crocs, I just think you really need to wear them around for a long time before deciding to take them on vacation. I know so many people that just love them, but you need to decide that for yourself before you expet to rely on them on a trip.

I think the best shoe for travel is one that fits your foot well, and that is extremely well broken in. I tend to do lots of walking at home before I travel - outside on real pavement - wearing the shoes I plan to take on my trip. Makes sure that no new blisters will creep up unexpectedly. Blisters can ruin any trip. Also makes sure that I'm in better shape than average. Walking outdoors on pavement is different than working out in the gym too, so even people who excercise can benefit from getting outside to break in their shoes before a trip.

...but I still really wanna pair of Xtratufs...yes I do.

not the traditional souvenier of alaska................

always a game leaving a big get together and you go in the mud room and you're confronted with 20 pair of red rubbers. now which ones are mine and should i trade my leaky pair for that brand new pair over there?

tongass trading in ktn usually seems to have the best prices by a couple of bucks. also (if you're really going through with this) buy a pair of felt insoles, they take up some of the slop and give a layer of insulation between you and the ground.

wanna buy a pair of 'tuffs. sheesh.

Yes...I'm still thinking about them.

Thanks info. on Tongass in Ketchikan...that is my first stop...I might take the plunge here since I may have use for them while on my sojourn through the waters of Alaska.

Thanks for the advice on the insoles...that would be an issue.

Question: Are red rubbers the same thing? I always want to keep up with the latest fashion...don't want to appear so-o-o "last year". :eek:

No, not asking for suggestions. I was making the suggestion because I love my Mammoth crocs! Sorry I was confusing. :)

Haha, no biggie. I prolly should have paid better attention and just not assumed stuff. In any case, my wife loves her Mammoth's. But I think she bought them after our cruise cuz I don't recall her bringing them on the cruise and I know she would have. I recall her just bringing her Croc thong sandals and used her running shoes most of the time.

But yeah, Crocs are kind of an acquired taste. What annoys me is that in the past year or so, the materials have gotten crappier. Harder and less resilient. My wife's sandals are super squishy and if you leave them out in 100 degree sun, nothing happens to them. I bought a pair of the same model, but noticed they (and all the other ones at a few stores) were less squishy. Then, when we left our sandals out in our backyard one hot day, hers were fine but mine shriveled up and now are perpetually curled up. I think they shrunk too.

I own several pairs of Crocs but I really do not consider them walking shoes. I wear my Mammoths more like slippers and might run errands in them but definately would not take them anywhere I planned on doing alot of walking. The biggest issue is traction, I have slipped in mine several times in snow and also on wet pavement. I think they'd be really dangerous on a wet boat deck, or boat dock for that matter. In addition to that, they don't provide enough support for me to walk in them for long periods. I definately perfer something with a firmer sole.

Anyone who does not own Crocs, I just think you really need to wear them around for a long time before deciding to take them on vacation. I know so many people that just love them, but you need to decide that for yourself before you expet to rely on them on a trip.

I think the best shoe for travel is one that fits your foot well, and that is extremely well broken in. I tend to do lots of walking at home before I travel - outside on real pavement - wearing the shoes I plan to take on my trip. Makes sure that no new blisters will creep up unexpectedly. Blisters can ruin any trip. Also makes sure that I'm in better shape than average. Walking outdoors on pavement is different than working out in the gym too, so even people who excercise can benefit from getting outside to break in their shoes before a trip.

I find them to be the opposite. I wear them for 14 hour days in the parks at Walt Disney World (not the winter version, obviously). I do LOTS of walking in them.

The croc flip flops are the only flip flops my podiatrist approves for me to wear specifically because they do have support. The footbeds are molded and sturdy. I don't wear the flip flops in the Disney parks but I do wear Croc sandals sometimes.

I wear them daily in winter in Wisconsin and haven't found them to be any more slippery on ice and snow than any other shoe.

I wear them for fishing, too. Of course, our boat is one that you sit in and not walk around... but I haven't slipped in my crocs. And yes, I do own a lot of them. :D Alaska was just an excuse for me to buy another pair of Mammoths in a different color.

Crocs are also great shoes for flying- quick on and off for airport security checks.

Great advice!!!

Haha, no biggie. I prolly should have paid better attention and just not assumed stuff. In any case, my wife loves her Mammoth's. But I think she bought them after our cruise cuz I don't recall her bringing them on the cruise and I know she would have. I recall her just bringing her Croc thong sandals and used her running shoes most of the time.

But yeah, Crocs are kind of an acquired taste. What annoys me is that in the past year or so, the materials have gotten crappier. Harder and less resilient. My wife's sandals are super squishy and if you leave them out in 100 degree sun, nothing happens to them. I bought a pair of the same model, but noticed they (and all the other ones at a few stores) were less squishy. Then, when we left our sandals out in our backyard one hot day, hers were fine but mine shriveled up and now are perpetually curled up. I think they shrunk too.

I missed this post earlier. I did notice that Crocs are made in different places now. The ones I'm wearing today say made in vietnam. I havew some at home that say made in Mexico. Maybe there is a difference in quality depending on which country they are made it? :confused: Now that you mention it, my new red Disney crocs seemed less squishy to me than the original ones I replaced, too.

Archived