CC Advice for a Virgin Cruiser - Review

I recently returned from the Hurricane Jeanne cruise disaster. I considered writing a typical review. I decided against doing that and have opted to do a review of all the advice I was given here on CC. I recieved so much advice under my thread "Best tips for a virgin cruiser" that I decided to give a little back to all those that helped me!

[b][u]Using ziplock bags[/u][/b]- Great idea! Not only did it help keep my suitcase organized but I used the bags for all sorts of things on board. I used them for wet bathing suits, to keep snacks in, for repacking toiletries, for keeping souvenir paperwork together, ect...

[u][b]Bring Duct Tape[/b][/u]- SHOULD HAVE LISTENED!! When this was originally suggested I thought it was silly. The day that I was packing my suitcase I saw a roll laying on the shelf and almost threw it in the bag. Didn't. Upon arriving at baggage claim we discovered the wheel had broken off my Aunt's suitcase. Instead of reaching in my bag for the duct tape that should have been there, we spent thirty minutes at the airport trying to find a maintenance man that had duct tape.

[u][b]Pack an Over the Door Shoe Organizer[/b][/u]- This was probably the best tip I was given. With three women sharing the bathroom it would have not been possible without this organizer. It kept everything handy and easy accesible. Great idea.

[u][b]Bring a Lanyard for ID and Tickets[/b][/u]- I purchased a travel lanyard at Walmart that tri-folded like a wallet. I had copies of Birth Certificate, Marriage License, airline tickets, cash, credit cards, and ID. As I watched my Mom and Aunt struggling to find their information in their purses at every checkpoint I was grateful I had the lanyard. On the ship this was a very handy thing to have. Hands were free and I always had what I needed.

[u][b]Bringing Your Own Soda and Water[/b][/u]- This proved to be a great idea. I saved money, always had a bottle of water for port stops, and had soda in the room whenever I wanted. However, I did learn it is not a good idea to pack these at the bottom of your suitcase next to the metal bars. I had a spill. Luckily I caught it quickly and little got wet. Thanks mostly to the person who advised to leave you dry cleaned clothes in the bags for packing. This tip saved my clothes!!

[u][b]Avoid Caribbean Night in the Dining Room[/b][/u]- I tried to heed everyones warning on this but was out voted by my mom and aunt. The jerk chicken was awful!! The veal wasn't any better. I wanted to go to Chops but the others wanted to save money. Next time I will go to Chops by myself on Caribbean night!! This was the only meal I thought was bad!!

[u][b]Order Key Lime Pie and Flourless Chocolate Cake[/b][/u]- Did it.....loved it!!! I loved every desert I ordered!!!

[u][b]Aft Corner Cabin on Deck 10 is the Best[/b][/u]- I totally agree!!!!! Our cabin was large and roomy. Our deck was huge. In fact we spent every morning out there having breakfast!!! Excellent cabin suggestion!!!

[u][b]Bring Clothes Pins[/b][/u]- Fantastic suggestion. We used these for drying suitcases on the balcony, drying out socks that got soaked by a broken water bottle in my suitcase, spraying down really wrinkled clothes with water and allowing them to dry with less wrinkles, and keeping some clothes on hangers. Loved this tip!!

[b][u]Power Strip[/u]-[/b] I didn't bring a power strip because I didn't feel I would need it. I really didn't need one so I was glad to have the extra room in the suitcase. However, if I had brought my laptop, a digital camera, a camcorder, a curling iron, or any other mechanical devices I would have needed one!! My suggestion is to bring one if you are bringing a lot of appliances. Leave it at home if all you are bringing is a cell phone and curling iron.

[u][b]Don't Miss Ice Under the Big Top[/b][/u]- I am so glad I went to this show. It was the best that I saw. I wouldn't miss this next time for the world!!

[u][b]Paying for Tips on the Seapass Card[/b][/u]- I will definitely do this again next time. When it came to paying tips I wasn't hunting for ones and fives. I had spent all of those on bar tips and room service tips. I definitely think that next time I will bring an envelope full of ones for room service tips alone! One additional piece of advice. You must take pass your tips out yourself on the last evening on the ship. I thought I could leave them in the room or give them to Guest Relations I didn't know I had to personally deliver them.

[u][b]Pack Something for Dinner the First Night in Carryon[/b][/u]- I had planned on doing this but because of all the confusion (delayed departure, bus ride to Miami, arriving late at pier) I handed my carryon to the porter. I ended up eating dinner the first night in my shorts. My suitcase with my casual clothes was the last to arrive in our room.

Thanks Catherine for your feedback; I've made the same notes as you for the last several months of reading these boards and wondered if I really needed half the stuff I've got written down.

Duct tape was on my 'maybe' list, so I guess I'll break down and go buy a colorful roll, as others have suggested!

Glad we could help! Each and everyone one of us on this board have learned so much from everyone else that it's nice to give back once in a while.

Funny thing is that the thread you started a few months back was such a good one, that I bookmarked it and now give to those that are new to cruising. My aunt just booked a RCCL cruise and just this afternoon I gave her the link the the thread. And voila! Here you are tonight with a follow up post. Weird...

Lynne

Thank you all for your kind words. I couldn't fit all of the advice on one post so here goes the rest.

[b][u]Bring Wrinkle Release[/u][/b]- Couldn't travel without this again. It was great for getting wrinkles out of t-shirts and shorts. I even hooked the others on this one.

[b][u]Cold Fruit Soups[/u][/b]- I have to admit when I first heard this it sounded nasty to have cold soup. I have to admit that they are wonderful now. Glad I tried them.

[b][u]Order 2 Lobster Tails[/u][/b]- Since I happen to love shellfish I jumped on this advice. I was glad I did. The tails were wonderful!! I normally am not a big eater so I hesitated to order 2 right off the bat but I am glad I did. They are very tasty but very small. Easily had two. (This is coming from someone who can only eat a Cheesburger and Medium Fries at McDonald's...I can't even finish a 1/4 Pounder!)

[b][u]Book Another Cruise Onboard[/u][/b]- With a 50% off coupon I couldn't wait to jump on this. I was very glad I did. It not only gave us $100 Shipboard Credit but as we left we were able to focus on the next cruise rather than feeling sad it was over.

[u][b]Go to the Love and Marriage Show and the Quest Show[/b][/u]- I wish I could say I went to these! I missed them and was sorry I did. Later I saw the shows on the room tv. They looked like they were so much fun I was sad I missed them!!

That is all of the things I can think of right now but I will be sure to add anything extra if I think of it!

Geri;
Believe it or not....I did!! The bottle cracked in half because of the metal bar.:eek: Then the ziploc bag leaked because the bottle cut it. Next time I will put the soda and water in ziplocs and pack them in between clothes so they are cutioned!! Better yet I will double bag them.;)

Archived