NCL Alaska Cruise Itineraries

mmdowns

Hello all, I am trying to figure out what the big differnce is between the route the NCL Pearl (Glacier Bay) takes verses the NCL Star in Alaska (Sawyer Glacier). Having never been there before, any thoughts are appreciated. Also, if there are any must see shore excursions or fishing trip recommended, would love to hear about it. Thanks.

Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay are very different. With the Pearl you have more time in Juneau. In my opinion, having gone on both ships and itineraries, with the Star, it is necessary to plan on and budget for the add on Tracy Arm jetboat tour, if you want close up views of a glacier. This tour is grossly superior to anything seen from the cruise ship. However, I see this year they did more trips to Endicott?? Which needs further verification???

I put together a small photo sample of the differences. In this, the cruise ship photo was the first time last season, it got a full South Sawyer view, date was 7/22 sailing, and the photo shows the closest it got.

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Budget Queen - great pictures! Thanks for sharing them. We are headed on our very 1st cruise for our 20th anniversary and we are on NCL Star Sawyer Glacier. I tried to book the Tracy Arm excursion that takes the smaller boat up the arm and then meets the bost up there, but it isnt showing available, so I think I was too late. I saw mentions that the Star has been gong up Endicott Arm as well. They dont happen to do an excursion there that you know of do they?

I really can afford the expense of a plane trip to the glacier. Is there another way to get close?

Also, where did you go to see those ice sculptures??? They are beautiful!

Budget Queen - great pictures! Thanks for sharing them. We are headed on our very 1st cruise for our 20th anniversary and we are on NCL Star Sawyer Glacier. I tried to book the Tracy Arm excursion that takes the smaller boat up the arm and then meets the bost up there, but it isnt showing available, so I think I was too late. I saw mentions that the Star has been gong up Endicott Arm as well. They dont happen to do an excursion there that you know of do they?

I really can afford the expense of a plane trip to the glacier. Is there another way to get close?

Also, where did you go to see those ice sculptures??? They are beautiful!

There should be space for the Tracy Arm tour, if they are going there??? Head to your shore excursion desk when they open and inquire.

The closest flightseeing for glaciers is glacier helicopter landings, which I highly recommend. :)

The ice sculptures were from the yearly Fairbanks Ice Sculpture Championships every March. http://www.icealaska.com

I did call NCL and the agent that I got on the phone tried to find it and couldn't. I may try to call again, since she didnt seem to be able to tell me if they weren't offering it on this cruise or if they were just sold out. I do plan to go directly to the excursion desk when I board to inquire. Thanks for the replies!

2 weeks from today and counting!

Tracy Arm jetboat tour, if you want close up views of a glacier. This tour is grossly superior to anything seen from the cruise ship.

Is NCL the only cruise line that offers the jetboat tour? Those pictures are amazing and I'd love to go on that tour, but we're on the Golden Princess. Anyone know if they offer it too?

Is NCL the only cruise line that offers the jetboat tour? Those pictures are amazing and I'd love to go on that tour, but we're on the Golden Princess. Anyone know if they offer it too?

Nope, NCL is the only one. Overall Princess has a pretty poor record of getting within glacier viewing in Tracy Arm.

Archived