Opportunity to sail on Elation and have a few questions

sdmike

Hi All -

I've never sailed Carnival before, but I have an opportunity to take a 5 day cruise to Cabo at the end of October with my wife. Apparently her school (she's a massage therapist) has arranged for some "special pricing" along with some training classes to make this a "kill 2 birds with one stone" type of trip.

I have a couple of questions, however.

First, I'm even wondering if the price is that "special". An oceanview room (6A) is $200 per person, plus it looks like another $99 per person for "port charges", and $110 for "taxes and fees". Assuming these are per person, that would be about $400 per person for the room. Category 4A is $40 cheaper, but for $40 i'll take a window! Is this a "deal", or is it consistent with normal pricing. I think a category 11 suite is $600 plus fees.

Second, how are the rooms? I'm assuming the oceanview category is under 200 square feet, but are they nice and comfortable?

Finally, how is the ship and the activities? My last cruise was on a similarly aged but bigger (RCI Vision) ship that was in incredible condition for a ship 10 years old. How is the elation?

Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Mike

On the Carnival site, they include port charges in with the base price, so you would have to go to the Carnival site to see how much the bottom line is to compare to see if your special price is that special.

Its a older ship, but any ship is going to have tons of activities and feed you as much as you want to eat, whats not to love?

The price sounds only so so to me, but Id have to check the specific date to be sure. Are you getting any group perks like OBC or a cocktail party, that might sway me.

The cabins should be 185 s.f. which isnt too bad, if only the two of you imo. Id pay the extra $40 to get a OV, I like to see out and know if the sun is up and what the weather is and see the ocean. I paid $80 for the two of us, $40 each on the SOV (4 day) to upgrade to a OV so the price to get a OV sounds in line to me.

Go, its fun cruising with folks you know.

On the Carnival site, they include port charges in with the base price, so you would have to go to the Carnival site to see how much the bottom line is to compare to see if your special price is that special.

Its a older ship, but any ship is going to have tons of activities and feed you as much as you want to eat, whats not to love?

The price sounds only so so to me, but Id have to check the specific date to be sure. Are you getting any group perks like OBC or a cocktail party, that might sway me.

I haven't called the TA that's organizing this yet, but you bring up a good point. I might be able to get the same or better deal from somewhere else..depending on the perks. There were 11 of us in 3 suites on our Vision trip, and we got over $1500 in OBC's! More than enough to pay tips and booze. :)

I guess I'll have to wait until the CCL site is back up to check how good of a deal this is.

Thanks for your reply

Archived