how long is too long a cruise?

bhpeters

I went through exactly this kind of soul searching when my younger child was 18months. We went away to Grand Cayman (land trip) and instead of staying 7 days we stayed 10 (too long). I think that 7 would have been perfect and instead I pined for my kids on day 8, 9 and 10. My husband and I are great friends now and were before we got married and we didn't want to lose that. I agree with previous posters who said that spending this kind of alone time is essential to a good relationship. You remember what it feels like to just spend your time thinking about yourselves and each other with no one else to worry about and getting pampered all at the same time. We're now married 27 years and our kids are both out of the house and we still love spending fun time together. Having since become addicted to cruising, we like 10 days better than 7 because you spend the first day or two getting into the "relaxed" mode and then the last day gets eaten up with premature anxiety about having to leave the ship :rolleyes: and that would only leave a few in the middle to really get the full benefit of the cruise :D

Bottom line is that any time on a ship is awesome and no matter what you decide, you'll have a great time when you do it!

GO. 7 days is not too long, next time you cruise, you'll find it's too short. Hubby and I took our first cruise together, when our daughter was under 2. She stayed with Grandma. She was in good hands, I didn't have to worry and she was spoiled for a week. We were too, on the cruise - the best of both worlds. Time alone together with your hubby is just as important as time with your child. Thanks to grandparents you can do both. Do it. Children flurish in a family where the parents are happy together. Give this gift to yourselves and your children. By the by, my kids are now 17 and 14 and have been on 5 cruises with us, and are scheduled to go to Hawii on the Island with us in March. They now love cruising as much as we do and won't hear of us going without them (So enjoy the time alone while you still can ;) )

Though I must say now that they are both teens, we have alot more time to ourselves on a cruise then before. It's the perfect vacation for everyone. Go and ENJOY!!

Heather, let us know what you finally decide! And visit here often, I have found this board to be an unlimited source of guidance on a variety of cruise-related and not-so-cruise-related subjects.

Try not to worry too much about flying. I do the same thing. I hate to fly too but sometimes there is just no other way to get there. You might talk to your doctor about a very mild drug to relax you preflight. I know some people advocate a glass of wine, but I'm always afraid that drinking on a nervous stomach might be a bad choice. I do take 1 mg of Lorazepam before I get on the plane though and I do fine.

Please consider the advice that it is good for couples to get away and be alone together. Right now you may think that life revolves around your child, and to a large extent, it does. But someday when our kids are grown and gone, if we are lucky, we are still married to the same spouse. It's a relationship that deserves to be nourished in addition to the attention we shower on our children. A lot of people, like my ex-husband, didn't seem to understand that.

Seven days is too short, ten days just about right. I have taken a twelve day

and will be doing so again this year. The downside, if any, is all of the catch up

and preparation I need to do at work to really relax and enjoy the cruise.

Carol

Archived