Seabourn employees

Host Dan

Hi Deb,

When we were on Pride at the end of July there were definitely unexperienced crew onboard, we had one as our second waiter, he was great but was learning on the job and admitted to it, he gave us a few laughs with his mistakes, we were after there to have a good time!!! And we did!! We were told by a senior member of staff that they had extra crew onboard as they were being trained for the new ship, which overall gave a great service! We thought the Pride this time was much improved in every respect from when we sailed her before.

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn

I was not aware of any unexperienced crew when we were on board, (perhaps it was the wine that dulled the brain!!:D )some were not as polished, but more than made up for it by there enthusiasm and friendliness.

We also had some laughs with some of our food orders, but have also experienced the same on the other triplets, it just adds to the fun

deb

I truly hope I will be able to witness what the three honorable ladies before me have posted! I haven't been on the Pride for some time and it would also be the first time for us to see what the refurbishments look like. I would understand it when some future head waiters or even assistant Md's need some special Seabourn training at the moment.

Marja

I just received my final "bill" for my 2 week Pride cruise in December. I look forward to seeing some great service on that ship. I have never sailed the Pride! (believe it or not)

Host Dan

We don't really care how experienced the service staff are. What's important to us is that they do their job in a helpful and friendly manner. We go on cruises to relax, not to critique the staff.

The thing we are looking forward to most is being served without the expectation of a tip.

Tipping is foreign to us and has always lead to a level of discomfort on ships: How much, to whom, when? It also leads to suspicion as far as motivation is concerned: It seems everyone has their hand out. This was most evident on Crystal, which surprised us greatly and made us seriously think about sailing again on that line.

Steve.

Hi Dan,

OK, lets get out of the toilet :D and back to the subject of American staff. Howver, I am fascinated by the different terms used for the same thing in our various countries. I will never again refer to the little pouch that clips around my waist to hold stuff safely and without carrying a purse while traveling by the American term of 'fanny pack' when around any Australians :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:! At least they have a good sense of humor! Actually, I think I might never call it that again!!

Personally, I find it very difficult to find good American staff anywhere that don't have a sense of entitlement and expect to get a hand out vs. offering good/superb service for a decent wage. I have a retail store, and I pay far more than other stores simply to attract and keep excellent staff, so the customers keep coming back (and so I can travel often and not worry about the store too!!!) It is hard to find that 'Seabourn attitude' outside of the ship!

I was once told that to be hired by any luxury cruiseline, there was a 5 star service school, or course of study that one was required to pass before they would be considered. I don't know where the school is, or if it might even be an at sea, on the job type training instruction.

I would simply call Seabourn and ask them how to have your friend apply for a job. A glowing recommendation from a current passenger that says the person is 'Seabourn quality' may make a difference (or they might not want friends serving the passengers!)

I found these requirements listed on Seabourn's web site regarding career opportunities.

Waiters/Waitresses:

* Minimum age 20

* Must hold a diploma from a recognized apprenticeship program, or equivalent.

* Have at least two years full-time restaurant service experience in a five star establishment catering to an international clientele.

* Must have good command of the English language both written and spoken.

* Have a pleasant, positive and outgoing personality combined with a desire to succeed.

Bar Waiter:

* High School diploma or equivalent degree.

* Practical knowledge of beverage operations and service.

* Knowledge of public health and sanitation regulations and procedures.

* At least two years of working experience as a bar waiter in a fast pace 4 or 5 star Hotel/Bars catering to an international clientele.

* Working experience with an extensive beverage program that entails premiums and super premiums in all beverage categories.

* Basic knowledge of wine service procedures. Strong command of the English language combined with good written skills.

* Ability to work in a team that is focused on revenue generating and exceeding guest expectations.

* Ability to up-sell.

* Ability to describe and recommend beverage products in a way that is convincing, pleasant and attractive.

Housekeeping Staff - Steward/ess:

* Minimum age 21.

* A diploma from a recognized apprenticeship program, or equivalent formal service certificate or qualification would be a benefit.

* Have at least two years full-time restaurant service experience in a five star establishment catering to an international clientele.

* Must have good command of the English language both written and spoken.

* Have a pleasant, positive and outgoing personality combined with a desire to succeed.

Sommelier / Assistant Sommelier:

* The right balance between wine knowledge and working experience.

* At least two years of working experience as a Sommelier in 4/5 star establishments.

* Been successful salesmen in fast pace service environments. This is of the utmost importance since you will be working in dining rooms where the wine stations will be large and service needs to be provided quickly and in an efficient and organized manner.

* Worked with wine lists that cover all the regions represented in our wine program: USA, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Chile, New Zealand and Australia.

* Diplomas as Sommeliers and have kept up their knowledge by attending regularly seminars, conferences, courses and other wine industry related events.

* All candidates applying with Seabourn Cruise Line need to bring with them the wine lists that they have worked with, or at least the most recent one. These lists will allow the interviewer to see what regions of the wine world is the candidate familiar with from a sales point of view.

* All candidates should bring to the interview proof of their sommelier diploma and/or certificates of attendance to specialized courses, programs, seminars etc.

I found these requirements listed on Seabourn's web site regarding career opportunities.

Bar Waiter:

* Ability to work in a team that is focused on revenue generating and exceeding guest expectations.

* Ability to up-sell.

Interesting that one of the requirements of the bar waiter is to up sell and generate revenue?? Carnival, yes, but Seabourn??

Thanks Mrspie for posting this!

Host Dan

Interesting that one of the requirements of the bar waiter is to up sell and generate revenue?? Carnival, yes, but Seabourn??

Host Dan

Dan,

I thought the same thing about the "selling up". Maybe this has to do with the wine purchase program?

Hope you are well!

Mrspie

Host Dan

The finer wines of course do carry a charge. Maybe it refers to this although I would think it a very small part of the waiters time. :)

Archived