Finally broke down and did it!

lovesublime

We booked Conquest. I know I'm eating my words after posting here that we would never cruise out of Galveston but, yes we are. I guess the lesson is 'never say never'. We've lived here nearly our whole lives and have never even considered cruising out of Galveston-even though we live only about 30 minutes away. In fact, I used to work in the government building right across the street from the dock. I can remember many mornings bright and early walking into my building with Conquest looming right there over me. I never thought we would sail on her.

We recently sailed Spirit in Alaska and were so impressed with Carnival that we decided to give them another go. After weeks of research, we were hard pressed to come up with a reason to fly to Miami or elsewhere when we have ships right here. I think our biggest concern is the MoBay port and all the negatives we've read. We have no issues with Grand Cayman or Cozumel. I'm just feeling like Jamaica is a throwaway port. Any advice? Otherwise, we're excited and looking forward to experiencing Conquest. I can't believe we're sailing out of Galveston:eek:

why would you not want to sail from Galveston? Especially since you're right there....it's a no-brainer....

But anyway, you'll love the Conquest. It was our first cruise last summer. As far as Jamaica...it doesnt have to be a lost port. Just get a taxi to Sunset Beach. It's like a 3 min drive. It's safe and really nice. No need to give up a nice beach day. It's an all inclusive for $40 a person and includes all the drinks and food you can hold. They have a water park also. I know you will have fun!

I booked the major falls with a private tour company in Jamaica in a month and am really looking forward to the walk up the falls as a human chain. Why would you not want to see these magnificent falls??

Im doing the Eastern on Conquest next year, Bahamas and Key West, so this will be my only chance for the next 4 or 5 cruises to hit Jamaica, so I figured Id better take advantage of it. I love the people of jamaica, sorry it isnt your choice of a port, enjoy the spa specials they have on port days, get a face and foot massage or one of those combine 2 or 3 things for $89 to $119 and relax and enjoy the day doing what you want to do.

Im also planning on doing RCL Voyager out of Galveston next spring and hitting roatan again. Love Roatan.

I loved Jamaica, we did the river tubing and had a great time.

I just moved to Texas a couple weeks ago, you will have to let me know how your trip goes. I might just have to book a cruise out of Galvaston.

We went on a jeep jungle tour with RCI last year while in MoBay. It was a wonderful trip! I wouldn't hesitate to book it again. I've also heard that Sunset Beach resort is a wonderful place to visit. You may want to check out the port of call boards regarding MoBay.

Last week we took the Freedom of the Seas out of Miami (after taking several cruises from Galveston) all we could think about when we were flying back to Houston is: how I wished I were sailing from Galveston, because we could be driving back. With air fare prices and luggage restrictions it is such a hassel to fly any more :eek: !! You will love the Conquest and the ports of call (even Jamica). We took an excursion that left the pier and brought us right back to the pier. It was the snorkel and beach (Doc Cave Beach-I think that is what it is called). We took the catamaran right from the pier, snorkeled and they sailed us to the beach and then picked us back up from the beach in the catamaran and right back to the pier. We felt very safe the whole time. Enjoy your cruise!!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH JAMAICA

ok off my soap box.

Remember that more people will complain about things than give praise, it's probably more 70/30 here but in rel life it's more 90/10. So you will her so much about how bad it is. Let's say this. If you have ever went to Tijuana or Juarez, then you've seen what Jamaica is. Yes, there are places you shouldn't go, Yes there is options for bad thing to happen. BUT if you will just keep your head about you then you will be fine. If nothing else go to Sunset Beach and enjoy a nice safe day in a gated resort at one of the least expensive prices you will find.

We booked Conquest. I know I'm eating my words after posting here that we would never cruise out of Galveston but, yes we are. I guess the lesson is 'never say never'. We've lived here nearly our whole lives and have never even considered cruising out of Galveston-even though we live only about 30 minutes away. In fact, I used to work in the government building right across the street from the dock. I can remember many mornings bright and early walking into my building with Conquest looming right there over me. I never thought we would sail on her.

We recently sailed Spirit in Alaska and were so impressed with Carnival that we decided to give them another go. After weeks of research, we were hard pressed to come up with a reason to fly to Miami or elsewhere when we have ships right here. I think our biggest concern is the MoBay port and all the negatives we've read. We have no issues with Grand Cayman or Cozumel. I'm just feeling like Jamaica is a throwaway port. Any advice? Otherwise, we're excited and looking forward to experiencing Conquest. I can't believe we're sailing out of Galveston:eek:

I'm also interested to know why you wouldn't want to leave out of Galveston with it being so close. I have a lot of air miles on Continental and eventually I would probably fly from DC direct to Houston to use them and head to Galveston. Why is this, in your opinion, a bad port?

You are one lucky duck to live that close to a port. I usually have to fly 5-10+ hours to get to the nearest port (except for Alaska cruises out of Vancouver--that's like 75-90 minute flying time).

The conquest is a awesome ship. I went in February and loved it.

JAMAICA--come to Jamaica and feel all right, one love, one heart, let's get together and feel allright!!! I looooove Jamaica!!! It can be scary if you do things on your own (or in the craft markets), but the shopping areas are no problems!!! IF you want to buy some coffee, rum, etc there are shops in the terminal building, so do get off and just wander through the shops in the terminal building. I got my rum, coffee, and some woderful wood carvings in the terminal building. I wanted to bring back a walking stick, but I opted to pass this time. I heard the call of Jamaica again so I will be back in Ocho Rios in April of next year. I'll do the Prospect Plantation tour (as well as Dunn's River falls) and then take a wee bit of time and walk to Island Village to do some shopping and stop at Margaritaville!!!

Archived