Just off Mariner of the seas Eastern Caribbean

My two daughter's and I just got back from one of the best cruises yet. The Mariner is a clean, beautiful ship. Yes Capt. Johnny was back from his 10 weeks off. As many has stated he is a Capt. you would want to go back and sail with any day. He is a big part of your sailing experience on the Mariner. Abe Hughes was are Cruise director. He was great at his job , but not so personal greeting when on deck in passing. He is supposedly a fill in when others are on vacation. As far as the response of leaving late, we went to the Windjammer as soon as we got on ship. (Very Hungry). We were one of the first to board (which by the way was painless). We went up and the doors were closed. Meanwhile everyone started to arrive to eat and we were standing there like a heard of cattle waited for the doors to open. One by one a staff personnel would come out the doors. We finally found out that she was having her one year expectation. We waited in line to eat because we could not get out for all the people for about 1 hour and 15 min. The doors finally opened at 1:15, and boy was that a sight to see everyone running in at once. They blame it on the Beefing Co. arriving late, but we got the scoop and saw the inspection people ourselves coming out the doors. Rumors had it the ship past with flying colors. Threw the staff off for the day but they bounce back the following day and made the trip a wonderful experience. Yes we had 3 alfa alfa alfa on our ship this week. One of them having to be evacuated. Had to wait for a helicopter from Fl. to come to Cococay and pick up a woman that supposely had M.S. and fell asleep and could not wake up. No one ever heard about her after that. We all hope and pray for a speedy recovery. With some of the questions answered I just want to say the food was good. Windjammer I thought was great for breakfast and lunch. Plenty to select from. Never made it for dinner. Chops were there in previous cruise, but my girls are not into that area of expertise for me to have payed extra and did not want to go. Never have been to Portifino's. Dining room food was good. Some things great some good and some not so good so I would give it on a scale from 1-10 a 7. Never ate breakfast of lunch in dinning room but table mate to whom I loved ate in dining room for breakfast and lunch and said it was great. Buy the way this was the first cruise I sat a dinner with without knowing them. It was a great experience meeting them and I would do it again all over. Entertainment other then juggler and comedian I thought was weak. I felt the production shows should step up a little. Ice show is not to be missed. There are so many great activities and late nite shows such as Love and Marriage show, Quest, Battle of the sexes that can not be missed also. They are late but try to stay up and make at least one of them. Cococay was absolutely wonderful. St. Thomas we shopped in the morning and did a Sail and snorkel with the sea turtle. It was the best excursion in my 7 times of cruising we ever had. There were three ship mates that were so funny and made the trip so memorable I still laugh just thinking of them. St. Marteen we did go to Orient beach. We were dropped of at the Pirates beach. It was nice. The food was very reasonable and excellent. Walked the beach and saw the other area's you could get chairs and umbrella's at. Bikinni and Kontiki look the nicest but the food and activiies are a little higher. Yes there are topless women, but never saw anyone fully naked. When at the pool look for Basil and Franklin. They were the best pool waiters going. Basil also severed at schooner bar at night. Not to sure were Franklin went. Schooner bar was great and watch for Cinimon. He was the piano player/ comedian. Everyone was right the Ham and cheese croissants were to best down on promenade. Getting off the ship also was a piece of cake and the port was beautiful. Hate to see the Mariner go to west coast, but at the right airfare I might just have to fly out there and get back on her again. By the way take your money for St. Thomas and St. Marteen. There are no more bargain's. If you want to shop go the the shopping talk and get all the info as to where the best stores were. Helped my daughter a lot and you get some coupons also. I guess the economy is hitting them to. Prices have gone up and up. Just got on to see if anyone happened to talk about this past week experience. Saw this thread and thought I would chime. in. I usually to not post. I did receive so much info from this boards, I do every cruise, and I thank everyone for that so I figured I would give it a shot and give you a little info back. So much to say about this past week it would take a while to post. Everyone has there opinions and come to these boards to get info. If I can help anyone with it still being very fresh in my mind just ask and I will to my best to answer. This was probably one of the best vacations I have ever had .By the way, I guess we did not have a ship with sun worshipers, because for the most part you could get a chair around the pool. Maybe not 5 chairs together the later you come but one or two people could find chairs together. We had a huge and I mean huge amount of kids on board and heard throughout the ship by them and there parents what a great time they had at the kid adventure. Maybe buy most of them being there gave us adults more room by the pool. One couple that cruised a lot said it was the most they ever seen of kids on board. Never saw one that was out of control. One couple I talked to was disappointed there kid did not want to come join them at all. Our weather was awesome had high 80' for most of the days and lot of wind on top deck to keep you cool. Well I tried to end it way back, but still keep thinking of questions people ask. So ask away I will try my best to answer.

Just curious, what nights were formal? We leave on the 31st and we enjoy the Chops and Portofino restaurants so I was trying to figure out what two nights are best to make the reservations -- any help on which evening the dining room menu was less appealing to help us narrow it down? Anything you can remember would be great. Thanks and glad you enjoyed your cruise.

We thought the production numbers were good and loved the Beatles show. The Temptations sucked. The old dude who was an original Temptation didn't even sing, he just mumbled in between songs. The other singers were good but the songs were so outdated that with the lack of chemistry between audience and performers, the show was pretty dull. So unless you really love Motown music, my suggestion is skip it. (remember, just my opinion).

I take it you are a young person. Here's another opinion from a baby boomer (over 50). First of all it was the Platters, not the Temptations. Second, the old guy, was Herb Reed, the original founder of the group and I believe is over 80. It was a miracle he could get on the stage let alone sing. He did talk some and was quite funny. He wisely left the singing up to the younger ones in the group. The young man from Ocilla, GA was fantastic in my humble opinion and I quite enjoyed the show, but then again I do remember the Platters.

Just curious, what nights were formal? We leave on the 31st and we enjoy the Chops and Portofino restaurants so I was trying to figure out what two nights are best to make the reservations -- any help on which evening the dining room menu was less appealing to help us narrow it down? Anything you can remember would be great. Thanks and glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Monday and Friday were formal nights on this eastern carib sailing. We went to the Mystery Dinner at Portofinos on Tuesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was quite camp and silly but alot of fun and the food was fantastic. Wine also flowed freely. I would not recommend taking anyone under teenage years to this dinner however as there was some adult humor. Dining room food opinions are subjective and we thought it was just ok on most nights. Prime rib was good on Monday. Thought the Fisherman's platter was just ok on Friday. Service was of course excellent in all dining venues. (including Portofinos and Johnny Rockets). We did not try Chops.

For the person who asked about when the staterooms were ready, we arrived on the ship at 11:30 and staterooms were ready by 1:00 on the dot! Great turnaround. Due to the inspection mentioned before, there was no lunch served until well after 1. Normally, Windjammer is opened at around 11:30 or noon.

...we went everywhere on the island and had a blast, great views, went to a fantastic beach where it was calm water up front and crashing waves about a football fields length behind it.

Hombre59, we will be doing this in St. Martin in September...I have a jeep reserved from Hertz. Could you answer a few questions for me?

Where was this beach you went to?

Were you at Maho Bay to watch the planes in the afternoon?

If so, how much time does it take to get back to the pier?

Thanks!:)

Hi Peachy

Great review - we are on the Mariner for the ist leg of the repositioning cruise. My mother & my daughter are doing the full trip.

Hope you don't mind but I found it very difficult to read in one block so I've spaced it out.

My two daughters and I just got back from one of the best cruises yet. The Mariner is a clean, beautiful ship.

Yes Capt. Johnny was back from his 10 weeks off. As many has stated he is a Capt. you would want to go back and sail with any day. He is a big part of your sailing experience on the Mariner. Abe Hughes was are Cruise director. He was great at his job , but not so personal greeting when on deck in passing. He is supposedly a fill in when others are on vacation.

As far as the response of leaving late, we went to the Windjammer as soon as we got on ship. (Very Hungry). We were one of the first to board (which by the way was painless). We went up and the doors were closed. Meanwhile everyone started to arrive to eat and we were standing there like a heard of cattle waited for the doors to open. One by one a staff personnel would come out the doors. We finally found out that she was having her one year expectation. We waited in line to eat because we could not get out for all the people for about 1 hour and 15 min. The doors finally opened at 1:15, and boy was that a sight to see everyone running in at once. They blame it on the Beefing Co. arriving late, but we got the scoop and saw the inspection people ourselves coming out the doors. Rumors had it the ship past with flying colors. Threw the staff off for the day but they bounce back the following day and made the trip a wonderful experience.

Yes we had 3 alfa alfa alfa on our ship this week. One of them having to be evacuated. Had to wait for a helicopter from Fl. to come to Cococay and pick up a woman that supposely had M.S. and fell asleep and could not wake up. No one ever heard about her after that. We all hope and pray for a speedy recovery.

With some of the questions answered I just want to say the food was good. Windjammer I thought was great for breakfast and lunch. Plenty to select from. Never made it for dinner. Chops were there in previous cruise, but my girls are not into that area of expertise for me to have payed extra and did not want to go. Never have been to Portifino's. Dining room food was good. Some things great some good and some not so good so I would give it on a scale from 1-10 a 7. Never ate breakfast of lunch in dining room but table mate to whom I loved ate in dining room for breakfast and lunch and said it was great.

By the way this was the first cruise I sat a dinner with without knowing them. It was a great experience meeting them and I would do it again all over. Entertainment other then juggler and comedian I thought was weak. I felt the production shows should step up a little. Ice show is not to be missed. There are so many great activities and late nite shows such as Love and Marriage show, Quest, Battle of the sexes that can not be missed also. They are late but try to stay up and make at least one of them.

Cococay was absolutely wonderful. St. Thomas we shopped in the morning and did a Sail and snorkel with the sea turtle. It was the best excursion in my 7 times of cruising we ever had. There were three ship mates that were so funny and made the trip so memorable I still laugh just thinking of them.

St. Marteen we did go to Orient beach. We were dropped of at the Pirates beach. It was nice. The food was very reasonable and excellent. Walked the beach and saw the other area's you could get chairs and umbrella's at. Bikinni and Kontiki look the nicest but the food and activities are a little higher. Yes there are topless women, but never saw anyone fully naked.

When at the pool look for Basil and Franklin. They were the best pool waiters going. Basil also severed at schooner bar at night. Not to sure were Franklin went. Schooner bar was great and watch for Cinimon. He was the piano player/ comedian.

Everyone was right the Ham and cheese croissants were to best down on promenade. Getting off the ship also was a piece of cake and the port was beautiful.

Hate to see the Mariner go to west coast, but at the right airfare I might just have to fly out there and get back on her again.

By the way take your money for St. Thomas and St. Marteen. There are no more bargain's. If you want to shop go the shopping talk and get all the info as to where the best stores were. Helped my daughter a lot and you get some coupons also. I guess the economy is hitting them too. Prices have gone up and up. Just got on to see if anyone happened to talk about this past week experience. Saw this thread and thought I would chime. In

I usually do not post. I did receive so much info from this boards, I do every cruise, and I thank everyone for that so I figured I would give it a shot and give you a little info back.

So much to say about this past week it would take a while to post. Everyone has there opinions and come to these boards to get info. If I can help anyone with it still being very fresh in my mind just ask and I will to my best to answer. This was probably one of the best vacations I have ever had .

By the way, I guess we did not have a ship with sun worshipers, because for the most part you could get a chair around the pool. Maybe not 5 chairs together the later you come but one or two people could find chairs together. We had a huge and I mean huge amount of kids on board and heard throughout the ship by them and there parents what a great time they had at the kid adventure. Maybe by most of them being there gave us adults more room by the pool. One couple that cruised a lot said it was the most they ever seen of kids on board. Never saw one that was out of control. One couple I talked to was disappointed there kid did not want to come join them at all. Our weather was awesome had high 80' for most of the days and lot of wind on top deck to keep you cool. Well I tried to end it way back, but still keep thinking of questions people ask. So ask away I will try my best to answer.

The car rental was only 30$! And 14$ to replace the gas so it ended up about 50$ I think. Very cheap for 6 people, and yes they do drive on the same side of the road as we do in the States. I would suggest this, we went everywhere on the island and had a blast, great views, went to a fantastic beach where it was calm water up front and crashing waves about a football fields length behind it.

Another question Hombre59..Did you rent the car in advance or just rent when you got to the island? I will assume the rental location is near the dock? Thank you for your insight.

Igotcrusier. No I am a middle age woman that does know who the Platters were. As for the singing they were good, just thought the show to be lame and very slow. Once again just my opinion. I am a plain eater. I stuck to the beef and chicken entree's Apps were all good. Desserts did not eat much but check out the key lime pie. Very good. Formal nights on eastern route is Mon. and Fri. This cruise I felt that a lot of people looked extremely formal. There were alot of beautiful dresses. Love the family that dressed in there kilts. Looked great. I was shocked on the lines to get photo's taken. I guess do to the high volume of kids and family's everyone wanted an updated family photo.

Sarvowinner. Thank you does look alot better. Never was a english major. I did this review on a whim and it was 3:00 am when I responsed to a post and just started rattling on. Was very tired. Thanks again

No problems

Whenever there is something I want to read - like your great review, I just copy/paste it into a word doc and do my own formatting (I do a lot of proof reading) so it's just as easy to copy it back.

Another question Hombre59..Did you rent the car in advance or just rent when you got to the island? I will assume the rental location is near the dock? Thank you for your insight.

We actually had some of us go to the tour area, and to the car rental area to figure out prices and weigh them together. The tours were 25$ per, and with 6 friends it would be 150$. So we rented from Hertz for 30$. It is directly next to the port, you just hang to the right and you won't miss the car rentals.

Hombre59, we will be doing this in St. Martin in September...I have a jeep reserved from Hertz. Could you answer a few questions for me?

Where was this beach you went to?

Were you at Maho Bay to watch the planes in the afternoon?

If so, how much time does it take to get back to the pier?

Thanks!:)

We cheated, we followed the ATV tour during the beginning and they led us to that beach. I believe it was Oyster Pond area, but I am not absolutely sure. I will look at the map we were given and try to find out. But, if you can ask where the ATV tour takes you, then you can find out easily I believe, as that's where they went.

Yes, we went to Maho Bay and it was fantastic, it is a beautiful beach and with the planes flying in it offers a great sight.

From Maho Bay to the pier it took about 45 minutes to an hour, mostly because of traffic. But, just follow the signs and you'll be fine.

DH, friends and I are boarding the 31st and are wondering - what are the bands/music entertainment like? we are east/west coast dancers, and have been on some cruises with wonderful musically groups that made dancing before/after dinner a very pleasant part of our trip...Other times, not so much! If there is nice dance music which lounges should we head for? Also, since we are in the "late seating" group, we hope that there are venues around for dancing after 1030pm ;-) Any info would be greatly appreciated!

we were the late seating also. My girls 24 and 25 headed to the dragons lair on deck 4 next to the Schooner bar. 18 yrs of age and older. They had a great time there. Many other rooms that had dancing but this is were the crowd really seemed to go. As far as the production danceing show, I really did not think they were all that great. I have seen alot better on other ships. You can not go by me either because I go to alot of NY shows with my daughter and they are always great. The cruise compass gives all as to what is happening around the ship every hour of the day. Hope that helps.

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd answer a few questions posted here so far and give a few of my personal likes and dislikes of the cruise.

Regarding the tender to Coca Cay, tenders leave the ship about every 10 or 15 minutes. You just go to deck 1 or wherever they tell you to go, and if you're lucky there's no waiting. If not so lucky, you might have to stand in line for a few minutes. Ditto the return trip from the island to the ship.

This cruise was the best of 10 I've been on so far (not all RC). The Mariner is beautiful, clean, and full of fun activities and the staff is the greatest. My husband and I both thought the food was very good, especially in the Windjammer. We also loved the Cafe Prommonade. Our cabin was 6526 and it was just a short jaunt away which was great for a free glass of water (rather than buying bottled water from the minibar), morning coffee and late night snacks.

In our opinion, the entertainment was very good, especially juggle boy, as someone already mentioned. We thought the production numbers were good and loved the Beatles show. The Temptations sucked. The old dude who was an original Temptation didn't even sing, he just mumbled in between songs. The other singers were good but the songs were so outdated that with the lack of chemistry between audience and performers, the show was pretty dull. So unless you really love Motown music, my suggestion is skip it. (remember, just my opinion).

As mentioned we were late leaving PC and CC which meant we had to boogie those first few days to get back on schedule. That meant is was pretty windy on deck. Other than that slight inconvenience, the weather was beautiful. No rain.

I don't think Coca Cay is too crowded with Mariner is there -- plenty of chairs available. but I will agree that the "picnic" wasn't the greatest. It's probably pretty hard to cater off of the ship for so many. The sea gulls are pests too. We just ate a quick hot dog and then went back to the ship and ate at the Windjammer that afternoon. Sometimes it's fun to "rough it." The island is relaxing and scenic. You can do as much or little as you want.

Abe was the cruise director. Neat guy.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll be happy to answer any other questions if I can. I envy those who are getting ready to cruise the Mariner. You will have a blast.

Hi Izzypooch,

I see you were in cabin 6526. We will be in cabin 6548 on this coming Christmas cruise on Mariner and I just wondered what you thought of the location? Also where did you have to go for the muster call?

Would really apprecaite any comments you might have. :)

DAN DAVIES ROCKS!!

My DH and I went to the Schooner Bar every night to listen to him.

We had seen him in February on the Navigator and were very much pleased and surprised to see him on the Mariner in July.

If you get a chance to listen to him play and sing, go for it. He is terrific!

He told my husband that he has some gigs coming up in Europe soon so he will not be on the ships much longer. His gigs are sadly not through RCCI.

We were hoping maybe he would surprise us on the Jewel in October...we shall see.

~Trish

IS there any chance anyone has a contact information for him? i fell in love with his music! Or maybe a website for Dan Davies!!

I was hoping that I could still listen to his music! I loved him as well!

DAN DAVIES ROCKS!!

My DH and I went to the Schooner Bar every night to listen to him.

We had seen him in February on the Navigator and were very much pleased and surprised to see him on the Mariner in July.

If you get a chance to listen to him play and sing, go for it. He is terrific!

He told my husband that he has some gigs coming up in Europe soon so he will not be on the ships much longer. His gigs are sadly not through RCCI.

We were hoping maybe he would surprise us on the Jewel in October...we shall see.

~Trish

Just got home about an hour or two ago, unpacked and started to check the emails and ventured forth here. If you have any questions about how this was I will try to answer them for you. Some things we didn't do, some we did. The highlight of our cruise though was kayaking in cococay and renting a car from Hertz in St Maarten, we drove around the whole island and it was fantastic, even went to the Juliana airport and watched a 747 or one of the really big planes fly over our heads as we sat on the beach right outside.

We were also on this cruise. I have to say that our highlight was also renting a jeep from Hertz and traveling all the way around the island. The other car rental people were very pushy, but Hertz was very pleasant.

We drove up to Orient first, which was beautiful, then to Marigot. This is the best place to shop, I think. It was such a beautiful place. The food was awesome too.

Yes!!! We saw the big plane too. We were so excited. My son loves the really large planes, and we missed them last year. This one was a total surprise, as I thought I had the schedule for the planes coming in and that one was not on it. Unbelievable. Sadly the Sunset bar was not open.....not only for a beer, but for a bathroom as well. :eek:

I take it you are a young person. Here's another opinion from a baby boomer (over 50). First of all it was the Platters, not the Temptations. Second, the old guy, was Herb Reed, the original founder of the group and I believe is over 80. It was a miracle he could get on the stage let alone sing. He did talk some and was quite funny. He wisely left the singing up to the younger ones in the group. The young man from Ocilla, GA was fantastic in my humble opinion and I quite enjoyed the show, but then again I do remember the Platters.
Was on this cruise and agree with you 100%. Of course, I am old enough to appreciate them and their contribution to music history.

Archived