Taxi from airport to hotel in Rome

About how much would it cost to take a cab from the airport to our hotel in the central/historic area of Rome? There are 4 of us traveling, but one is coming in much earlier in the day. We have a private service doing our tours and transfer to the port, and I think they'll charge 45 or 50 Euros to pick her up by herself (plus we'll be paying the same to pick the rest of us later in the day). Anyone know what it would be if she just walks out of the airport and hails a cab?

Thanks for any info!

I would get a taxi from the TAXI STAND at the Rome Airport. The cost will run 45 to 50 Euros to Central Rome. Becarefull about hailing down a taxi....the independent taxi's are run by gypies that will take you to the cleaners. Just be alert and know your surroundings. Tim

I second the motion to hail a taxi from the TAXI STAND. Cost is 45-50 euros. UNLESS - it is at night and then they do charge a little more. Explained to us this way - they charge a bit more to take you from the airport into the center of Rome at night because it is too far for them to go back out there for another fare. The circuit from airport to city and back is their big $$ maker. I actually argued with driver since I had read here on cc the fare should run us 45 euros and he wanted to charge a bit more...... he was firm tho.....and then found out later why :D

I paid $26 pp for a shared van ride through www.viator.com

Paid for ahead of time in U.S. Dollars.

When we get to the airport, we go to the desk and turn in our voucher and they point us to the shared van.

We are sharing with two other couples for Stefano of Rome Cabs to take us from the hotels in Rome to Civitavecchia at 30 EUR per person.

Gabbymamma: Do you all arrive at the airport at the same time ? If not - do you have to wait for the other couples or they for you ? Just curious. This sounds like a good alternative if there is not waiting involved. After travelling for 24 hours thats the last thing I want to do when finally getting to Rome :D

We also shared a ride to the port from our hotel. That was nice. And definately cost effective.

Gabbymamma: Do you all arrive at the airport at the same time ? If not - do you have to wait for the other couples or they for you ? Just curious. This sounds like a good alternative if there is not waiting involved. After travelling for 24 hours thats the last thing I want to do when finally getting to Rome :D

We also shared a ride to the port from our hotel. That was nice. And definately cost effective.

There is just the two of us, no waiting for anyone. Not sure what kind of wait we might have for the van to fill up. Nothing was said about that. I was just happy to find a shared van, that's what we use here in the States all the time (Super Shuttle). They have a list of hotels they go to, and when I looked I thought I saw my hotel, but when I rechecked the names were close, but not exact, so I had to contact them a second time to make sure they could go to my hotel and they responded, no problem. I'm hoping we don't have too long to wait as we arrive at 9:05 as it is, and my hotel has an 11:00 curfew, so we will be cutting it close.

Rome Shuttle limousine has a fixed price of 35 euros from the airport to Rome hotels, this is for 2 people with luggage. can be booked on line. Did not have to pay a deposit.

I had a reservation with Rome Shuttle's last November, and they never showed up, luckly after hanging around at the baggage area waiting for them for an hour, there was another shuttle company in the baggage area that offered to take us with another couple.

I've since learned that Rome Shuttle's has a very bad record online .. Do a search and check them out..Not Good

Beware, thats my 2 cents

Srpilo

If you are trying to save some money, take the DaVinci express train for about 12Euro right from the airport to the main Rome Train Station (Termini). You can get a taxi or metro to your hotel from Termini for a more reasonable fare than 40 Euro (I think that sounds low, I thought it was more??).

Just follow the signs in the airport for the train. But a ticket from the tabacco stand for the next train. The departure times are listed clearly above the train. Impossible to mess up :p . Set your luggage where you can clearly see it. The seats are not assigned on this shuttle train.

If you are brave at Termini, take the metro to the stop closest to your hotel. You will need to pay a separate fare for this, and this may be an option for more experienced travelers, or ones who don't mind hauling luggage across a huge station. If you are less brave, go to the taxi stand outside Termini, and expect to be ripped off :( apparently it happens often. But have a map,and the name of your hotel, the street and cross streets written down to show the cabbie. Many hotels in Rome are tiny, and cab drivers may not know where they are. Look at the map and try to figure out the direction and distance you are going.

Good Luck! Pack light! Plan to re-wear things!

Archived