AVALON: Bucharest to Prague Oct1 2008

CRUZERNUT

I tried to start a thread on this cruise awhile back but guess I was too early. With only 50 days to go now, hope there are a few fellow travelers out there with whom we can exchange info and questions. We will be coming from Chicago on Lufthansa (hope they are thru striking by then) and will be doing the extension in Bucharest. Three couples in our group...all experienced travelers. Look forward to hearing from future passenger friends.

HAL

Dear NUT, (So much fun to write that)

I wish we were to be with you, but we will not. However, we took a Uniworld cruise in 2005 from Bucharest to Budapest. We stayed in Bucharest four nights before boarding the boat at Constanta on the Black Sea.

The following info may not help if you have booked the Bucharest extension with the cruise line, but if not so, this may be of help.

We stayed the first two nights on our own at the Intercontinental Hotel before going to the Marriott.for two nights. The Marriott was included in the river cruise package, with no way to exclude it. While the Marriott had some things which a bit posher than the Intercontinental, its location is nowhere nearly as good. We also had a couple of service issues in their cafe.

The Intercontinental is a high rise, the tallest in Bucharest, with beautiful views of the city. The staff was very good, and it is walkable to the center of the city, with the museums, etc. readily available. Given a choice, we would have preferred to spend all nights at the Intercontinental.

In any case, you will be glad you are having extra time in Bucharest. It is one of the great cities of Eastern Europe.

Bob :cool:

Hey, Bob, thanks for the response. We will be at the Athenee Palace Hilton in Bucharest and reports I've seen are that it is very good. We are definitely looking forward to Bucharest..sounds like an interesting city as well as the extension trip to Transalvania. Thanks again for your info..smooth sailing.

HAL

Hey, Bob, thanks for the response. We will be at the Athenee Palace Hilton in Bucharest and reports I've seen are that it is very good. We are definitely looking forward to Bucharest..sounds like an interesting city as well as the extension trip to Transalvania. Thanks again for your info..smooth sailing.

HAL

I recall looking at this hotel on the web while deciding where to book for our first two nights. It seemed very posh and beautiful, but was priced accordingly. I think it is just north of the city center. The Intercontinental is just south of the center. You are probably as close to the museums, etc. as we were.

The only thing we had that you won't was our great view from our room on about the 20th floor.

We had a very good guide on our Uniworld Bucharest tours. She was about 25, wore glasses, and had a good sense of humor. If she still works at this, she probably guides for several tours. I wish I could remember her name.

I don't know how long your boat (The crews like the call them ships.) will stay in Budapest, but that is also a nice city. You will dock on the Pest side of the river. There will undoubtedly be many boats docked at the same time. I would assume your trip includes a bus tour which will take you to the hilly Buda side with several interesting things to see. If you are at Budapest overnight, the underground system is good and easy to use. If you take a taxi, watch out for cheating. You will be docked somewhere close to the several blocks of walking streets with many shops.

Have fun.

No..not a miss. We sail on the Artistry from Oltenita on Oct 5 and we will be in Budapest arriving Oct 11th and we'll be there apparently when you come aboard.. Look forward to meeting you...from one of the most beautiful cities we have ever visited: Rio. See you in Budapest.

Hal

Bob..thanks for further info on these stops. Not to worry about view..we never seem to get a high floor view. Hope we are lucky enough to get your gal guide. A good guide makes ALL the difference.

We will be in Budapest overnight..parts of two days. We have been there before and saw most of the "Highlight" items so will look for more of the unusual. No food there, though. My wife got really sick (stomach) there last time..Spicy food.

HAL

Bob..thanks for further info on these stops. Not to worry about view..we never seem to get a high floor view. Hope we are lucky enough to get your gal guide. A good guide makes ALL the difference.

We will be in Budapest overnight..parts of two days. We have been there before and saw most of the "Highlight" items so will look for more of the unusual. No food there, though. My wife got really sick (stomach) there last time..Spicy food.

HAL

Since you are there overnight, look at the Budapest State Opera for its program. You can find it on the web and will be directed to the "Jergymaster" (sp?) site for tickets. We attended in 05 for Don Carlos. It was very good and the opera house is beautiful. If you decide to go, book as early as you can. They sell fast. One reason is that the prices are ridiculously low. We booked late and the best we could do was third row box, but it was center and the cost was $2.00 each. That is not a typo.

If you like music at all, you will not be disappointed. But, as said above, watch the taxi drivers. They cheat, cheat, cheat.

Copy of Message under Avalon Budapest to Prague.

We stayed at the Prague Hilton (Very large). Very good buffet breakfast. (Not the small Old Town Hilton that is close to the Old Town Center)

There is a grocery, drug store, and cafe very close. Also a Metro station and bus stop. Walk out of the door to the tour bus parking and look for the rotating glass door across the street. The rotating door is the entrance to a small shopping "mall" with the grocery and cafe. Many in our group hit the deli or grocery for food and drinks. (We bought several beers and soft drinks to put in the refrigerator in our room. I also borught some candy for gifts)

If you continue out the far doors across the street you will find the Metro station and bus stop. We bought a 24 hour Metro ticket. Good for unlimited rides and transfers for 24 hours from first use. We bought our ticket in a coin operated vending machine. Directions IN ENGLISH. This was a cheap and easy way to get to the Old Town Center. Remember to look for the LAST stop name on your route. That is how you select your Metro train and direction. If you get off at the first stop Metro stop and back back toward the Hilton, you will find a recommended hotel for dinner (about $40 - $45 per person). ( Dinners at the Hilton were about $80 per person) We choose to eat at the Pizza resturant a few doors down from the hotel. We had 1 pizza and 1 salad to share, 3 beers and 1 Fresh Strawberry dessert. We paied about $25 for the entire meal

NOTE: Have the Hilton REMOVE ALL ITEMS in the refrigerator BEFORE you move anything. Everything is setting on an electronic sensor that sends a charge directly to your room account. We just called the front desk as soon as we entered the room to have the refrig "cleaned" out.

We were in Passau only long enought to board the river vessel after our trip to Cesky Krumlov, CZ. If you stay on the vessel, check with the tour director on your time in Passau.

Have a great trip.

Emily

Thanks so much, Bob and Emily. I have printed out your posts as my memory won't last 6 weeks. Emily, I have read, I think, all your posts and Review and they have been very helpful. Having this much info BEFORE a trip is so helpful. Too bad the cruise lines don't read it and get the hint.

Thanks again...HAL

Archived