What's the best way to save on a cruise?

kelly@

How do you save on a cruise (multiple choice)?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How do you save on a cruise (multiple choice)?

• Use the spa's gym equipment instead of paying for classes
    • At the breakfast buffet, make sandwiches for lunches off the ship
    • Buy the drink of the day and wine specials
    • Plan your own shore adventures
    • Read books from the ship's library
    • Join up with other cruisers to arrange independent excursions
    • If you don't finish your wine, save it for the next day
    • Attend the free seminars/classes
    • Check the spa specials, or go for a manicure or pedicure option
    • Play board games (if available) on sea days

We usually book the minimum cost cabins....which allows us to take more trips.....crusies and land trips to Europe.

Excursions can be expensive......so for many ports we research the places to visit.....hire a cab with my brother and wife and the four of us can see the same stuff for $20 to $25 each that the folks on the bus are paying $70 each to see......and we get to go at our own pace without waiting for the bus to load and unload.

For me it's not so much about saving money as it is getting the most value for the money I do spend. I normally do inside cabins because that means I can cruise twice a year instead of once. Yep, that saves me money, but more importantly, I'm getting more VALUE for my money. I don't do the spa thing, not because I'm trying to save money, but because there are other things I enjoy doing more. I don't normally do ship-sponsored shore excursions, not to save money, but rather because I like the variety and more personalized service I get from private excursions.

So, in the end, I am probably saving money with my approach, but for me its about the value. My $$ are hard-earned and I want to know that I am using them wisely.

I so agree with this rationalization. What it basically amounts to is: determine your priorities. For us, an inside cabin is the difference between cruising and not cruising. So....we don't get the suite, but we are so happy to be on the cruise that we don't care. We save money by looking for the best deal on airfair and checking out the independent shore excursions available at each port . If something is important to us, okay, we spluge. Then we tend to be frugal on what is of least importance to us. I think probably the majority of people who have had to work hard for their money; but value the importance of enjoying life probably feel this way. Save where you can -- and spend where it really matters to YOU!

Archived