Lap Band Surgery and a Carnival Cruise?

ssatterly

Had the FULL baratic surgrey..

Which surgery do you consider the FULL baratic surgery. All three of the WLS's I know of, bypass, the sleeve and the lapband are all weight loss surgeries.

Sounds like its been a success story for you, congrats. No matter which surgery someone chooses, its still going to take work and being good on their part. I think you have to want it to work and have your head there. Congrats again.

Can one have an alcololic beverage after the lap band procedure? My sister had the full surgery about five years ago and looks and feels fantastic . . . but she's never had a drink in her life (and she's 71). Me on the other hand, loves an occassional martini. :o

I highly recommend you go on your cruise first and enjoy your food because once the lap band is in, you will need to eat very small amounts of foods, also there are meds and vitamins you will need to take also.

I have a Sister on it and a few friends, you will need to change the way you are currently used to eating.

Go on your cruise first, enjoy and then after check into getting the surgery done.

Not sure if you have checked in to the B-6 and B-12 injections, its something else to think about. I'm currently on the injections and doing great.

Fred

actually, the bonus to the lap-band is that you DON'T need meds or special vitamins (other than they should be chewable). unlike gastric bypass, your anatomy isn't altered, thus you still absorb the vitamins and minerals from your food. if you follow the prescribed diet, you don't need to worry about B vitamins, or really anything else in terms of nutrition :)

Can one have an alcololic beverage after the lap band procedure? My sister had the full surgery about five years ago and looks and feels fantastic . . . but she's never had a drink in her life (and she's 71). Me on the other hand, loves an occassional martini. :o

the only reason to avoid alcoholic beverages after the lapband is the caloric content. there's no problem at all with the occasional martini. :)

The rule is eat in moderation. Just because you pass the ice cream machine doesn't mean you need some ice cream. Eat a sesnsible breakfast, lunch, dinner, and have a snack or two inbetween and you will be fine....One other thing to avoid is plopping your butt down on a deck chair and staying there for endless hours....it isn't going to burn off the calories if you took a little too much....Walk around the open decks as much as possible...I can safely say that on sea days I can walk around the ship up to six or seven times a day, and that isn't just one deck it's more like two or three decks (Lido, panorama, and Sport)....I rarely, gain weight when I cruise.....

The track on sport deck is there for a reason, take an hour a day and just walk....better yet, do the walk for the cure and don't just walk the one day, walk each of the days you are onboard....

I had gastric by pass surgery in 2005 and have lost 110 pounds. I have been on a cruise each year and I haven't had a problem. Before my surgery I ate every course that was offered..now I usually will choose soup or salad and an entree and no desert..has worked well for me. My 1st cruise after my surgery was about 4 months and it wasn't difficult to find something I could eat. Some one mentioned carbonation...i have been drinking soda's since practically day one and haven't had a problem but I have known others that have. So, I think each person, by trial and error, will know what they can and can't ear and/or drink. Have your procedure done and be happy..

I had gastric by pass surgery in 2005 and have lost 110 pounds. Some one mentioned carbonation...i have been drinking soda's since practically day one and haven't had a problem but I have known others that have.

You had bypass which is a different process. With a lapband, there is a band placed around the neck of the stomach and especially after you lose a great deal of weight, the stomach can slip up under the band if it gets swollen by the carbonation.

Its because it could cause slippage is why soda is a no no. Not because it wouldnt go down. There is a new band out about a year or so, that has better attachment, but trials are not in yet, but its said to be better because it doesnt slip as easily. Soda/beer/champagne is the one thing a bander should never drink again unless they want to chance having their band slip out of place. I was told this by a nurse who wrote a book that is coming out this fall about her journey who works for a surgeon here in Dallas. Bands do slip and as she said 2/3rds of the time its because people dont take care of them and do things like this, drink soda.

Sister and I have both had full gastic bypass...........we don't tolerate salads too well........or breads................beyond that we just need to slow down...........

We've sailed at least 4 or 5 times since then...........not a huge big deal.......but we do have to pay more attention.............

I got my lapband in March of 2004. I lost 154# in a little over a year and have maintained that weight. I went from size 26 to size 10--see picture below!!

I cruised in Nov of 2003 and of course ate my weight in food. Gained over 10 lbs.

I cruised in Nov of 2004--almost halfway to my goal and lost 3 lbs.

For some reason the lapband around your stomach does something to your brain. Food just isn't important to me any more. I eat to live I don't live to eat.

I've never been sick a day--there are a few foods my lapband doesn't like--so I don't eat them.

Actually I'm heathier and feel better than at any time during my life. Losing all that weight has made be feel younger (I'll be 58 in Nov.) It makes cruising more fun. I can do all kinds of fun things now that I couldn't do before.

Swim with sting rays, zip line, and this year the royal swim with the dolphins.

Yes I can and do drink when cruising. Sometimes a little too much--it's vacation!

I take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible. I race my dh--he takes the elevator and I run and try to be at the door when it opens and he gets off. :D

My weight may go up or down a pound or two during a cruise---but I jump right back on the band wagon when I get home.

Regular exercise and healthy eating.

Do NOT worry about not getting your money's worth in food on a cruise--there is so much more fun to be found than eating.

Good luck! I wouldn't take anything for my lapband!!!

Does insurance cover this [ B12 shots } My insurance does not cover any weight loss surgery. It did about 5 years ago but since has stopped.

Julie

I could be wrong, but I believe B12 shots are for energy, and Fred didnt mention having the surgery himself, just that he benefitted from these shots. Doctors used to give them more often. I dont think they give these shots to lose weight.

I read another thread where Fred mentioned having these shots.

PS poptart, its awesome to read such a success story of the lapband, glad it has worked so well for you, but sounds like you make it work too.

I take a B12 sub-lingual tablet daily along with my chewable Centrum (2 daily) vitamins and 2 chewable Caltrate calcium tablets....I feel so much better and have so much more engery. I have gone from a size 26-28 to a size 12 and have held there for a year or so. I, like many people that have posted here, watch what and how much I eat, I do have a drink now and then as well. We are doing the New England/Canada cruise in September with 3 days pre cruise in New York. For the 1st time I will be able to walk all over Manhattan..I am so looking forward to it!

Does insurance cover this [ B12 shots } My insurance does not cover any weight loss surgery. It did about 5 years ago but since has stopped.

Are the b12 shots something you do after the surgery [sp ] or are they an option other than the surgery.

Thank You

Julie

Hi Julie, the B-6, B-12 injections are out of pocket, not covered under insurance. I didn't have to go with the surgery because I'm not over 100+ LBS, I think there is a limit as too how big you can be before the surgery is allowed. My sister was probably at 300+ Lbs so she qualified for the Lap Band.

I went from 218Lbs and currently sitting at 193Lbs in 1.5 months with the injections alone and hardly any working out.

Fred

I take a B12 sub-lingual tablet daily !

I also take My-B-Tabs which are those Sub-lingual tablets daily. You can find these online.

• Adenosine Monophosphate 25 mg

• Vitamin B12 50 mcg

• Folic Acid 10 mcg

lege-mybtabs.jpg

You had bypass which is a different process. With a lapband, there is a band placed around the neck of the stomach and especially after you lose a great deal of weight, the stomach can slip up under the band if it gets swollen by the carbonation.

Its because it could cause slippage is why soda is a no no. Not because it wouldnt go down. There is a new band out about a year or so, that has better attachment, but trials are not in yet, but its said to be better because it doesnt slip as easily. Soda/beer/champagne is the one thing a bander should never drink again unless they want to chance having their band slip out of place. I was told this by a nurse who wrote a book that is coming out this fall about her journey who works for a surgeon here in Dallas. Bands do slip and as she said 2/3rds of the time its because people dont take care of them and do things like this, drink soda.

your nurse sounds ultra conservative. there are actually a few schools of thought about soda, and the majority lean towards it being ok in moderation based on the studies. documented slippage cases tend to be caused by chronic over eating with the band, which stretches the esophagus. it's important to keep in mind that ANYONE can publish a book. i personally prefer my information to come from peer reviewed medical journals, as they have the checks and balances for a more factual report.

Please try obesityhelp.com for general surgical questions or try

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/gastric_sleeve/ for questions about gastric sleeves.

It is a forum just for this issue. My sister in law had the gastric bypass just 8 months before the cruise. She had a fantastic time. She had lots of energy and her focus was on having fun and mingling rather than food. I actually think she lost weight during the cruise because increased activities.

Does anyone know what the diffrence is between the Lap band and the gastric sleeve?

the lap band is just that - a band around the top of your stomach. the sleeve actually separates off the majority of your stomach, leaving just a small portion of stomach to hold, digest and process your food. with the sleeve you have the malabsorption that gastric bypass offers (i.e. you don't digest your food the same way, thus absorbing less fat and calories in addition to less vitamins and minerals). you also risk dumping syndrome, which is a super pleasant side effect of the more extreme bypass surgeries. due to these differences, you DO lose more slowly with the band, and there is more of a chance of user error - you can break the rules without the same painful consequences, and you can fail to have it filled properly.

My husband had the lapband this past December. He has lost 70 pounds. He does eat a lot less, but now he is concious of what he is eating. He eats slowly and enjoys his food. When we cruise in November he will not be able to eat like before. He will probably stay away from the bread basket, but still eat the main course. He was never much of a dessert eater so I'll probably be the one eating his desserts. Mind you I lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers and I too need to watch it, but on a cruise I tend to go overboard (no pun intended).

Good luck.

I am currently on WW now and switched to Core.....several people said that it is easier to do while cruising, I think they are right......

There are so many WLS post-ops who cruise we should have a support meeting/meet & greet on board. There are Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy, who should we be? Friends of McDonalds?

I had a lap proximal RNY 6 years ago and lost 122 lbs. I was featured in an article in Oprah Magazine in May 2006. If anyone would like to see it, write to me at jpg1747@aol.com.

Archived