Cave Tubing in Belize (Diabetics)

I was looking at Reggie's Tours to do the cave tubing in Belize and his disclamer was that if you are diabetic, he does not recomend this excursion. Has anyone have ever had a problem with this? Please let me know.

David............. icon_cool.gif

Days left til Explorer of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnivale 06/92,Fantasy 09/92,Victory 09/29/02,Legend 10/12/03,RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10/10/04,Carnival Liberty 2005

Possibily the walking on paths and the river is a rocky bottom- water shoes are not recommended. Take an old pair of sneakers and then throw them away. It also could be the time frame and excerise required?? No services close by etc. So certainly a variety of factors. My suggestion- take a fanny pack and shorten up the straps and wear it around your neck during the tour. Have glucose gels - with Instaglucose a good product for the double strength and sugar packages. Bring double what you may need. PROTECT your feet as recommended above. Have food available for you in the van- packaged cheese/peanut butter are a good source.

I am diabetic and didn't have a problem. I am type 2 and in good health with my blood sugar under control. Luckily I have yet to find any activity which my Diabeties interferes with. Just wear an old pair of tennis shoes which you won't mind throwing away and put your glucose pills in something waterproof or just bring a bottle of cola with you.

NCL Sea 3/03

RCCL Sovereign 10/03

NCL Dream 3/7/2004

Hi David,

Dennis and I are also looking at doing the cave tubing excursion while our ship is in Belize. As Dennis is also a diabetic, please pass on any information you may find out about whether or not this excursion will be safe for him.

Did you get your pictures posted yet?

Nekita icon_cool.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

Until we're on the Explorer of the Seas !

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Not a diabetic, but we did this 2 years ago with the ship tour. We were taken to the site in a nice bus<about an hour> then let off at a very primitive site. They had built some concrete block restrooms. You have about a 45 minute hike over different types of ground-thru the river-up an embankment---no hand rails, this is BELIZE! You are carrying your innertube the whole time and a headlight around your neck. I was pretty tired at the end. The trail does get very slick with all the people on it so be at the front of the tour---people at the end of our group were slippin and a slidin! Take good sturdy old tennis shoes, bug spray yourself before you begin the hike. We found some waterproof containers that hang around your neck at walmart for $1(put hubbys cigs in). Then we plunged into the river for a fantastic float. They had a lot of rain when we went, so we didn't have to walk any parts. Then you get out and have to hike back to the starting point(15-20minutes). This was not for the faint of heart or someone not in pretty good shape< We walked every night for several weeks before the trip to be a little prepared. We were on the ship tour though and not Reggie's so not sure where he puts in or if the walk is as long.

howdy

Sportserjohn.....

I am also a type 2 diabetic and my sugar is under control..So I am glad that you did not have a problem. My question to you is I have water shoes...do you think that will be ok or do I need something more durable?

Howdy.....

Thanks for the tip. I started to go to the gym and now I have a greater purpose.

David.............. icon_cool.gif

Days left til Explorer of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnivale 06/92,Fantasy 09/92,Victory 09/29/02,Legend 10/12/03,RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10/10/04,Carnival Liberty 2005

Archived