Canyon Ranch toiletries back?

jonmar

• 3 weeks later...

The Canyon Ranch toiletries were in cabins in September '06 but had been replaced by October '07. Nothing wrong with what they provide now but I thought that having Canyon Ranch in the cabin was a great advert for the spa.

Just another example of cost-cutting by Carnival who risk downgrading Cunard. They don't seem to understand loyalty or repeat passengers. They seem to think that we won't notice little things disappearing, corners being cut here and there, but some of us do.

The Canyon Ranch toiletries were also onboard the QM2 in December 2006 so they must have taken them off sometime in 2007.

What a shame. I join in the chorus here that such cost cutting measures are indeed noticed. These products were heavily advertised by Cunard as being a unique product to the QM2 in association with the only Canyon Ranch spa at sea. Now it seems that the fact that they have this "big deal" spa is not such a big deal any longer.

With the economy going the way it is I suspect things are going to get worse in terms of cost cutting measures.

David

A general question regarding the line's standards. As I have posted previously I have seen the service and cuisine on the QM2 slip from my original voyages. I have been considering trying the ship again this Fall, however I am concerned about another "off " voyage. I asked my TA what her opinion on such a change in the ship and she pointed out the the fares for the ship are about half of the price of what they had been years ago. She stated that other clients have had similar concerns. Perhaps they could not fill her? They had to drop the fare price and in doing so had to lower the standard of the line and quality of the product.

..... I asked my TA what her opinion on such a change in the ship and she pointed out the the fares for the ship are about half of the price of what they had been years ago........

That may be the case in the US, but I haven't noticed such reductions in Europe :(

I did transatlantics in July and August. The toiletries were Gilcrest & Soames of London - - same as in 2007. I tend to think the change in the toiletries from an American brand to a British brand is better explained by management's desire to underscore that Cunard is a British product rather than by economics.

As to the overall quality, the July crossing was the best of the 14 QM2 voyages that I have been on (covering April 2004 to now). Everything seemed to be humming along perfectly. The August one was fine but not quite up to July. The August voyage had begun in Hamburg and any time a ship is taken out of its normal routine, it takes time for the crew to adjust.

I did transatlantics in July and August. The toiletries were Gilcrest & Soames of London - - same as in 2007. I tend to think the change in the toiletries from an American brand to a British brand is better explained by management's desire to underscore that Cunard is a British product rather than by economics.

As to the overall quality, the July crossing was the best of the 14 QM2 voyages that I have been on (covering April 2004 to now). Everything seemed to be humming along perfectly. The August one was fine but not quite up to July. The August voyage had begun in Hamburg and any time a ship is taken out of its normal routine, it takes time for the crew to adjust.

Gilcrest & Soames "London Collection" to be exact. It's not exactly what I would call inexpensive either, at retail. I love it!

Gilcrest & Soames "London Collection" to be exact. It's not exactly what I would call inexpensive either, at retail. I love it!

I agree! Gilcrest and Soames are known to be amoung the best skin care products in the world. I bet it's costing Cunard MORE to put these on board. I was really happy to see them in the cabin when I last sailed.

Gary

I just disembarked this morning for the QM2 Queens Grill, and it did NOT have Canyon Ranch toiletries.

The Cunard catalogue of 2009 cruises, which we received on board, makes NO MENTION of the spa even being a Canyon Ranch product (just calling it "the spa"). Rumor has it that the Cunard/Canyon Ranch contract has not been renewed. Several Canyon Ranch employees confided that they were anxious about what the future holds with regards to their jobs.

As for my opinion--the Canyon Ranch spa seemed in top form this trip. Also, the locker room was much, much cleaner that it was the last time. But even there, the toiletries are not Canyon Ranch, but some generic product.

In the US 2009 brochure (page 12) it's the "Queen Mary 2 Spa and Fitness Centre"

In the UK 2009 brochure (page 73) it's the "Canyon Ranch SpaClub"

So, if you want to enjoy the Wonderful Canyon Ranch Spa you'll have to book your voyage on this side of the pond... :D

as I understand it there is something happening not only only to canyon spa and QM2 spa and several other cruise spas this year,In Novemebr , I cant say more as yet, but I have a few moles who know things about this, I will let you know as and when details are 100% ;)

I agree, and further suspect that if Cunard's Marketing touted Gilcrest & Soames as they did Canyon Ranch products, this thread would not even exist.;)

I think I read about a year ago that Canyon Ranch was building a ship which will highlight all their products and services. Perhaps that is why they do not want to continue with the Cunard contract. Haven't heard anything recently so perhaps the project never got off the ground. Loved the spa services on the QM2 when Canyon Ranch was involved cruising round trip from Miami to Rio for Carnaval - an itinerary Cunard never repeated. Also had a miracle acupuncture treatment that totally cured my stiff and aching knees - one treatment!!! Still no recurrence of the former knee problems which were very uncomfortable. The biggest value I ever received.

:mad: I wanted to replenish my supply of favorite toiletries, but I couldn't find them listed on their website. I called Canyon Ranch's headquarters and was told that they no longer make toiletries! She said that they "have moved in a different direction". Instead, expensive skin care products are now available on their website.

I just disembarked this morning for the QM2 Queens Grill, and it did NOT have Canyon Ranch toiletries.

The Cunard catalogue of 2009 cruises, which we received on board, makes NO MENTION of the spa even being a Canyon Ranch product (just calling it "the spa"). Rumor has it that the Cunard/Canyon Ranch contract has not been renewed. Several Canyon Ranch employees confided that they were anxious about what the future holds with regards to their jobs.

As for my opinion--the Canyon Ranch spa seemed in top form this trip. Also, the locker room was much, much cleaner that it was the last time. But even there, the toiletries are not Canyon Ranch, but some generic product.

In that case, "Cunard" is a tad sloppy for continuing to advertise Canyon Ranch as one of the current amenities in the PG & QG on their UK WEB SITE...

Can you please advise what was provided in the QG instead? (or is it G&S throughout?)

Many thanks.

The Gilcrest and Soames amentities were provided in the QG cabins.

Another minor point--In the early QM2 days, Cunard used to always mention "Frette linens" in their amenity discussions of grill accommodations, and indeed it was that luxury brand that was used. But on the transatlantic voyage I just completed, the linens were NOT Frette (I much preferred the new towels). And in the 2009 catalogue, the reference is to "luxury linens" -- i.e., the word "Frette" is absent.

The Gilcrest and Soames amentities were provided in the QG cabins.

Another minor point--In the early QM2 days, Cunard used to always mention "Frette linens" in their amenity discussions of grill accommodations, and indeed it was that luxury brand that was used. But on the transatlantic voyage I just completed, the linens were NOT Frette (I much preferred the new towels). And in the 2009 catalogue, the reference is to "luxury linens" -- i.e., the word "Frette" is absent.

Thank you for the information.

I'm reaching for the Silversea brochure as we speak......

Archived