Driving NYC to Port Canaveral.. Any advice?

Gina477

Mike - Thanks for the heads up in NC, I am going to let DH know that he should use cruise control to avoid any cops pulling us over. I'm sure they love to snag us from NY & NJ. I'll try to find any info on speed limits, although I'm not sure if I will be able to find it online.

Diane - We do have a portable DVD player and the kids do have their Nintendo DS's and MP3 players. I never thought about the PS2 or Xbox though. Thanks for the idea. I don't think that I would go the long route only because it's our first trip down and I don't want to get lost. :D

Thanks everyone for your helpful ideas. I already have a list of do's and don'ts. I am so looking forward to the trip!!

Gina

Gina, My warning was for the last 20 miles IN VIRGINIA!! (Headed south of course..)

I can tell you what I do know about Speed limits for your trip.. Virginia is 65, Most of the rest of the states headed south it is 70.. Most will give you 5-8 over the limit.. Just make sure of a few things..

The last 20 in VA.. DO THE LIMIT!!

Try and stay out of the left lane.. (Easier to pick you off)

Try and make sure that someone is going faster than you and that they pass you often.. (Known as "Bear Bait")

Be careful and have fun...

Gina, My warning was for the last 20 miles IN VIRGINIA!! (Headed south of course..)

I can tell you what I do know about Speed limits for your trip.. Virginia is 65, Most of the rest of the states headed south it is 70.. Most will give you 5-8 over the limit.. Just make sure of a few things..

The last 20 in VA.. DO THE LIMIT!!

Try and stay out of the left lane.. (Easier to pick you off)

Try and make sure that someone is going faster than you and that they pass you often.. (Known as "Bear Bait")

Be careful and have fun...

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the clarification. I will definitely let DH know the details. Since it's all new territory for us, we will most likely be staying at or below the limits. It will help save on gas with all the people and luggage.

Thanks again. Have a great weekend!

Gina

Gina,

After you have laid out the clothes you think you will need for the cruise, remove half of the clothes.

And will someone please tell Gina how to avoid going through downtown Washington DC...is it better to go through Bethesda, Maryland on I-495 or cross the Potomac river on I -295 at Alexandria, Virginia.

Fred

Gina,

After you have laid out the clothes you think you will need for the cruise, remove half of the clothes.

And will someone please tell Gina how to avoid going through downtown Washington DC...is it better to go through Bethesda, Maryland on I-495 or cross the Potomac river on I -295 at Alexandria, Virginia.

Fred

You do not have to (nor would you WANT to) go thru downtown DC to go south. I would go across the Wilson Bridge (stay on 95 S vs 495 W) for the shortest ride. Also, be aware that a lot of folks around here take Fridays in the summer off and Thursday afternoons (from about 2pm on actually) can be very busy and congested. If there is any way to get through the DC area (ie get south of Fredericksburg VA) before the afternoon, do it. I would leave NYC about 3-4am like someone else says they do. This would put you through the DC area by late morning (even with some traffic) and you should be good to go. I agree to watch carefully your speed in this area--have known folks to be pulled over going only 5 miles over the limit. Also, radar detectors are illegal in VA and the cops do not take it lightly if they find one on you. Please ask any more questions you have and have a great trip!!!!

You do not have to (nor would you WANT to) go thru downtown DC to go south. I would go across the Wilson Bridge (stay on 95 S vs 495 W) for the shortest ride. Also, be aware that a lot of folks around here take Fridays in the summer off and Thursday afternoons (from about 2pm on actually) can be very busy and congested. If there is any way to get through the DC area (ie get south of Fredericksburg VA) before the afternoon, do it. I would leave NYC about 3-4am like someone else says they do. This would put you through the DC area by late morning (even with some traffic) and you should be good to go. I agree to watch carefully your speed in this area--have known folks to be pulled over going only 5 miles over the limit. Also, radar detectors are illegal in VA and the cops do not take it lightly if they find one on you. Please ask any more questions you have and have a great trip!!!!

Newbie - Thanks for the helpful information. We are planning on leaving at about 4am so we can be almost past the DC area. I will google the info on 95 south so that we can cross the Wilson Bridge rather than the 495 W.

Fred - Thanks for letting me know of the alternate route as well.

Gina

Either on your way down or back- you might want to check out the "Unclaimed Baggage Center" in Scottsboro, Alabama - It was recently

featured on either 60 minutes or 20/20 and looks like an awesome store.

They buy all the unclaimed luggage from the airlines - take in something like 7000 pieces a day - go through all the luggage - wash and dry clean

all the clothes chosen to put up for sale, everything and anything you can

imagine - art, antiques, diamonds, jewelry, etc. - Definately a spot I would like to check out some day. You probably could do a "google search" on the internet to learn more about it. For the children - DVD player/players and a GPS system. If you don't have the latter - perhaps

you could borrow or rent one. Very, very useful. Be very careful in the

mountains of West Virginia especailly if your timing gets you there in the

late afternoon or evening - roads are very, very hilly and dangerous if

raining. You might want to take an extra battery along - and when you

park the car in Florida for the week - put all your valuables in the trunk.

(Or ask if you could leave a LOCKED suitcase in the hotel office for security - unless the kids want all their electronic toys - which I would

probably try to discourage - would rather they explore the ship and all it

has to offer than have their brains "plugged" in on vacation. JMO. Have a

wonderful time and be safe !!!

Before heading toward the Wilson bridge you might want to check out the their web site for the construction and lane closing schedule. If lane closings are scheduled when you are going through DC you will be better off going around west of DC. Just closing one lane can back traffic half way to Baltimore.:)

A sample mapquest driving directions from NYC to the Radission at Port Canaveral. If you want to avoid the beltway click on avoid in that portion of the route.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=New+York&1s=NY&2c=Cape+Canaveral&2s=FL&2a=8701+Astronaut+Blvd&2z=32920-4307&2y=US&2l=28.395515&2g=-80.611531&2v=ADDRESS#a/maps/l:::New+York:NY::US:40.720409:-73.994637:city:New+York+County/l::8701+Astronaut+Blvd:Cape+Canaveral:FL:32920-4307:US:28.395515:-80.611531:address:/m::2:::0::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

You might also want to look into an AAA membership. You can get driving directions (triptiks), guide books, discounts on lodging, and roadside assistance.

We've driven to Disney World from Pa., many times with our 3 girls. Although our friends always call us crazy, I look forward to this time. It isn't very often that we get to spend eighteen hours, away from the everyday distractions of life.(phones always ringing, tv, computer) We share stories, laugh, play games, argue(a little) and reconnect as a family. After our girls fall asleep my dh and I get to visit without interruptions.(Takes me back to our dating days) We've made some wonderful memories and I've loved every trip. My only advice is to laugh off the small stuff. For some reason, I always arrive sticky, and look like I've been through .....,you get the idea. We've stayed at numerous hotels. We stop when we've had enough and try to stick to one right off an exit. Water is a life saver. It's the one item we never have enough of. We are flying to Miami this year and I'm already missing the drive down!!! Have a great time. Janice

Gina, email me if you have any questions about getting around around here.

Most of the time, the Wilson Bridge construction goes on over night or on the weekends (since rush "hour" goes on and on here!) If you tune radio to 103.5 FM (WTOP)they do traffic every 10 mins (like 1010 WINS in NY) on the "8's". They are good about reporting any delays, accidents etc. Pick them up after you get south of Baltimore and they should take you well past Fredericksburg.

If one of you is bringing a laptop, get the kids to trawl through the CC forums and make a note of money saving and other tips that would be relevant for your cruise and to locate information about your ship and each port of call.

Carol

Might be a little difficult while driving.... you would need some kind of access to the internet, right?

We drive to the Fla ports from our home north of Charlotte. I consider this my "Dad" time. We leave the house around 11PM-12 midnight and I drive through until morning. Have breakfast somewheres in Florida about 7 - 8 AM and then finish up the last couple hours to the port. (This allows ample time in case of any unexpected delays on the way.)

I enjoy driving at night while the roads are relatively empty (keeps the blood pressure in check ;) ). The family sleeps enroute and I listen to my iPod as the miles pass by.

I live in northern VA also and can attest to the horrible traffic on Fri/Sat/Sun along I-95. They have also been resurfacing and have had some lanes closed most nights. In Virginia you can dial 511 for traffic information. Several other states have the same service. I would suggest the by-pass around Richmond. It adds a few miles, but it is a much better road! You can call the 24 hour highway helpline as you approach VA and check condtions ahead as well. (800) 367-ROAD We always drive to Port Canaveral, and it takes about 13 hours from here. When I travel and know we will be stopping, I use the Holiday Inn website to look for hotels along our route. I think a few of the major chains have that feature. We have made the drive many, many times over the years with our 5 sons and you were given some great advice on here! Our usual arguments were over who got to sit by a window and who had the middle seat in the back of the van......so....we made a schedule! I would suggest stopping at the rest areas for bathroom breaks when possible....I have had the misfortune of stopping at some really nasty gas stations on I-95! Also, if you are using a gas card it is a good idea to call ahead and let them know the dates and route you are travelling; Exxon actually put a stop on our card on a cross country trip because they noticed "suspicious activity"!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Gina,

Fred

See below, I have an idea that might save some frustration..

Gina, email me if you have any questions about getting around around here.

Most of the time, the Wilson Bridge construction goes on over night or on the weekends (since rush "hour" goes on and on here!) If you tune radio to 103.5 FM (WTOP)they do traffic every 10 mins (like 1010 WINS in NY) on the "8's". They are good about reporting any delays, accidents etc. Pick them up after you get south of Baltimore and they should take you well past Fredericksburg.

I also agree with Newbie.. 103.5 is great and you can pick them up just south of Baltimore all the way to just north of Fredericksburg..

Here is another idea for you to avoid some of the DC crap.. Check it our on a map...

95 South out of Baltimore to the DC beltway.. (Head East/South toward the WW bridge) Exit at RT 5 in Maryland South.. (Headed toward Waldorf) This will turn into RT 301 South.. (Again watch your speed while in Maryland, they patrol this area pretty heavy) This will take you across into Virginia. (Toll Bridge) Follow 301 South to the town of Bowling Green VA where 301 will split off, stay straight and the road number changes to RT 207. This is a straight shot to RT 95 south of Fredericksburg. (Mile Marker 104) At this point you have only 104 more miles in Virginia to the North Carolina Border. You will miss all the Woodrow Wilson traffic, The rest of the DC traffic and all of the overnight road construction between the beltway and Fredericksburg. It is a nice scenic drive.. There are traffic lights however if you are early enough they should not bother you too much. Rush hour for Richmond is not bad and you should take RT 295 (To the left) around Richmond anyway. Of course I have not looked to see what day of the week you are leaving.. (If it is a NASCAR Race weekend in Richmond, traffic can get a little messed up around the track exits, even early in the morning)

You can always e-mail me for more personal instructions around this area..

crazy343069 AT msn DOT com

Gina, when do you leave??

Hi Mike,

We're planning on leaving on Thursday 8/21. Our cruise is on Saturday, 8/23. I think that should give us enough time to be in Fl and get some rest.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Gina

Hi Mike,

We're planning on leaving on Thursday 8/21. Our cruise is on Saturday, 8/23. I think that should give us enough time to be in Fl and get some rest.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Gina

Gina, first and foremost, safe travels and enjoy your cruise..

You may want to look at the suggestion I made concerning running route 5 South off the beltway in DC down to RT 301 and points south..

They are doing overnight road work north of Fredericksburg that has the Southbound lanes screwed... Also they are doing day work on the southbound side just south of the beltway on I95 that has traffic also messed up..

Yeah there are traffic lights however in the early morning it is not too bad.. There is one toll bridge getting into VA but I think it is something like $2.00 to $4.00 to get across.. (I don't know for sure because I have an easy-pass)

If you are leaving New York at 4 in the morning, you are going to get nailed in DC traffic.. (Not to mention Baltimore..)

Once you get South of Fredericksburg Virginia, you should have some pretty smooth sailing.. (Yup, pun intended)

Again, have a safe trip and enjoy..

Gina, Yeah they are doing all kinds of road construction around here--got stuck in some on the beltway today at 1pm (for no apparant reason I might add!) What I would do is print out a bunch of the options folk gave here (including some google maps), have a good real map (try AAA if you belong) and be willing to bail/switch routes if things get too crazy.

Whatever you decide I wish you safe and easy driving and a wonderful cruise!! (wish I was going too!)

This may have already been said, but I don't have much time to read all the previous posts....

We have traveled for years by car with our children. Too many to ever fly! As a matter of fact one of my kids didn't ever fly until he was an adult.

A few things I can think of right off the top of my head are....

We do not allow unlimited nor junk food snacking in the car. We did nutritious snacks/drinks and always plan for REAL meals OUT of the car.

We have typically picked places like Cracker Barrel since they have a menu that is predictable everywhere you go and the kids can get breakfast lunch or dinner whenever we get there. Bathrooms are typically spotless. If everyone has been well behaved we often times buy them a small desert.

Games, yes we tried them all, and the electronic devices are fine, but they DO get bored with them. Movies run out and they get restless. You need some interaction time! make it an adventure..."road trip"!!!

In the past, we've mapped (yes on paper folks not GPS - one for each kid) and had the kids follow our route along the way. We took lots of pictures, like when entering a new state, stopping anaywhere, ticket stubs, menu's from restaurants etc for our photo and memento albums. We've taken journals along for those kids that like to write. This can also count as homework if your child is missing school, teachers will often accept journal entries as an english assignment, mileage, figuring gas mileage, speed per hour, road conditions, weather changes from cold weather to warm etc, for math and science assignments, check with the teacher. (The journals are so fun to read when the kids are older!)

Each child gets a specific time "riding shotgun" and then their job is "co-pilot", they use their map, watch for important signs etc. Read mile markers and look for interesting stuff.

Oh yea, our kids REALLY enjoyed listening to CB radio stuff for years...a whole 'nuther language! They spent hours figuring out what "10-82" meant etc. We would laugh and laugh at that stuff.

We played all the typical license plate games, you use the letters of the plate to come up with a witty saying for example JRN-103 could be "Jenny's really nutty" or something like that. We also kept track of who could see the most different states license plates, which could be tricker these days with all the different plates.

We pack the car the night before, dh goes to bed early and I stay up with the last minute "MOM' job's readying the house for our departure. We make up the car with pillows, sleeping bags, backpacks etc. the night before. When its time to leave (we typically leave at 0300), kids just crawl out of bed and into the car. In their backpacks - which they packed for the car to keep busy - are the clothes for the next day. When morning comes and dh has had enough driving, I wake up, then wake the kids and we stop for breakfast. I take over driving at the point and he gets quality parenting time with the kids :D

We always pull off the road before 5 pm. We get a hotel with a pool so the kids can swim off their car energy and a hot-tub for the grown ups sore backs! I can not tell you how important this is! you must have a way for them to burn off the energy. Holiday Inn Express are great for this. We pick one next to a Cracker Barrel for dinner and breakfast. Normal bedtime. We get a wake up call for three AM and do it all over again. We arrive usually in early afternoon.

We find we are not "jet lagged" or car lagged, at all when we get there!

A few notes, you might want to pack a small pharmacy! Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for any wierd reations, bug bites, whatever and also helps with sleeplessness (some kids get wired from it). Something for car sickness (check with your pediatrician about a recommendation - theey have great stuff now), tylenol, something for a cold like dimetap. This is the nurse in me :p I really am a nurse for my other job. ;) A few plastic bags in case they get sick!! Remind them BEFORE the trip that sometimes it comes on suddenly so if they feel "wierd" let Mommy and Daddy know, that way the bag is ready for the quick need. Funny story, I was the last to get in the car after one of our meal stops, my son was in his "spot" in the car ON HIS HEAD instead of his butt all seat belted in. He thought is was hilarious and thought he might try and ride like that for awhile...of course I said NO and he switch around after about 5 minutes of head standing in his seat and cracking up laughing.....he lost his dinner shortly after. He had never been sick before, came on sudden, felt fine as soon as it was over. The other kids looked very "gaggy" for awhile. Rough seas on that trip too, we had a few episodes of sudden sickness and instantly feeling better. My son even made up a song about the vomiting and sang it the WHOLE way home. I can sing it for you to this day if you want.....thats how much we heard the song! They still refer to that trip as the "barf barge trip" - too funny!

The final thing, a plan at rest areas. They are dangerous! Everyone goes with an adult. No children ALONE.

I envy you! My youngest, the "baby" is now 17 and at the "I don't want anything to do with you parents stage" :(

Just remember, the "worst" of moments - well, all make for found memories.

Jan

When we were younger we would drive to Florida from NJ all the time. Disney, Softball Tournaments, etc etc.

WE would leave around midnight, I would drive while everyone else slept. Would make it to Virginia/Carolina border before we would stop, eat breakfast, etc. Wife would then take next shift driving.

I have to say, BE CAREFUL! We recently lost a family here in our home town, driving down 95 in the middle of the night. No one knows exactly what happened, but they slammed into the back of a truck in a construction area.

This is also the same exit as JR's http://www.jrselma.com/index.cfm which always makes for an interresting stop. It is about 1 hour south of Rocky Mount so it is right around the halfway mark.

Too funny, lived most of my life in VA with family in NC and have put in many many hours on Interstate 95 between the 2 and now between NYC and SC. I have never stopped at JR's.

Gina, first and foremost, safe travels and enjoy your cruise..

You may want to look at the suggestion I made concerning running route 5 South off the beltway in DC down to RT 301 and points south..

They are doing overnight road work north of Fredericksburg that has the Southbound lanes screwed... Also they are doing day work on the southbound side just south of the beltway on I95 that has traffic also messed up..

Yeah there are traffic lights however in the early morning it is not too bad.. There is one toll bridge getting into VA but I think it is something like $2.00 to $4.00 to get across.. (I don't know for sure because I have an easy-pass)

If you are leaving New York at 4 in the morning, you are going to get nailed in DC traffic.. (Not to mention Baltimore..)

Once you get South of Fredericksburg Virginia, you should have some pretty smooth sailing.. (Yup, pun intended)

Again, have a safe trip and enjoy..

Thanks for the heads up on traffic in DC area. We're heading up to NYC for our annual tennis pilgrimage next Thursday and will be driving back on Monday. That is usually not bad - holiday driving, it is the drive up on Thursday that is always the kicker from Fredericksburg to NJ.

Thanks for the heads up on traffic in DC area. We're heading up to NYC for our annual tennis pilgrimage next Thursday and will be driving back on Monday. That is usually not bad - holiday driving, it is the drive up on Thursday that is always the kicker from Fredericksburg to NJ.

If you are familiar with the area at all around Fredericksburg, run RT 207 off of 95 (Exit 104) up to 301 in Bowling Green then 301 up to Waldorf MD and pick up RT 5 up to the Beltway.. Traffic lights yes however not a bad ride.. Also no toll going North bound on 301 at the bridge...

If you are familiar with the area at all around Fredericksburg, run RT 207 off of 95 (Exit 104) up to 301 in Bowling Green then 301 up to Waldorf MD and pick up RT 5 up to the Beltway.. Traffic lights yes however not a bad ride.. Also no toll going North bound on 301 at the bridge...

Oh we've been that way from Richmond to go to Baltimore on the weekend. Not a bad drive -= but the traffic lights make me crazy on that stretch.

Archived