Can anyone help with a ? about Legoland...(precruise)

VillaHappy

Hello fellow family cruisers! We are planning on visiting Legoland in Carlsbad a few days before our cruise on the Mariner in March. We're from PA and I figure that we can fly in a day or two beforehand and check it out.

I'm trying to figure out if one day is enough, or if we should plan for two days. It is open 10-5pm, and we are staying at the Sheraton that is connected to the park.

Thanks in advance!

We loved Legoland. I think one day is really enough to cover the park - even at a leisurely pace. But it does have a fun water play area - so if it's going to be warm, be sure to bring a change of clothes (or have your kids wear bathing suits under their clothes) and a towel or two. Because of the water play area, I don't think you'd be bored with two days, especially if it doesn't add too much to the cost, but it's not necessary to have two days to see and do everything - it just means they can't spend hours at the water play.

Best,

Mia

When in March are you planning to be here? While I agree that one day will be enough, keep in mind that you could be running up against Easter/Spring Break, which could increase crowds and slow your progress through the park's attractions.

If you're looking for a nice, affordable place to eat afterwards, there's a Pat & Oscars restaurant that sells family meals for about $25 that include to die for breadsticks, ribs, pizza, and salad. It's just a block or two away in the Costco center. You're also staying above the Carlsbad Outlet Stores that have a number of eateries as well.

When in March are you planning to be here? While I agree that one day will be enough, keep in mind that you could be running up against Easter/Spring Break, which could increase crowds and slow your progress through the park's attractions.

If you're looking for a nice, affordable place to eat afterwards, there's a Pat & Oscars restaurant that sells family meals for about $25 that include to die for breadsticks, ribs, pizza, and salad. It's just a block or two away in the Costco center. You're also staying above the Carlsbad Outlet Stores that have a number of eateries as well.

Easter is April 12 next year. So I'm guessing spring break falls around that time? I remember back in college, sometimes spring break was in early March. Hopefully the crowds stay away until after we leave :)

Thanks for the tips about P&O. I'm going to put that on my list!

I was speaking specifically to the local colleges. While I realize Legoland isn't a huge "spring break" location, you'd be surprised at the number of adults I know (without kids) that have year-round passes to Legoland.

Please be aware that during the off-season, Legoland is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I'd hate to have you make plans to go on a Tuesday if it's closed!

I don't know how old your kids are, but one full day is enough, but you can easily fill two if you want. And if it's March, the Flower Fields should be open - that's something we do every spring!

Let me know if you have further ??? on the area - I'm not on this site every day, but I'll check back!

~Jen

JenSDCA:

THANK YOU for the reminder that Legoland isn't open on Tues/Wed in the off-season. We are going in October. I have the trip planned out pretty obsessively, but nowhere in all the tips/reviews I read did it mention that! Luckily I was already planning on a Thursday.

It would figure that I would get the best info here, even if it's not about a cruise!

To the OP: my SIL took her kids last month and said a day was be plenty. Also, if you really decided you wanted more time the next day, I believe you can "upgrade" your ticket before you leave the park for $15 each. The best deal I have seen around is a buy-adult-kid-free some Burger Kings in CA and AZ have had. Good luck!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

You can also go to the Costco on Palomar Airport road and get Legoland tickets there for a decent price. AAA also offers a discount!

I've heard good things about the Carl Strauss Brewery for food too....located right next to the Grand Pacific Palisades Resort on the other side of Legoland!

One day in the park should be enough. We were there over spring break this year and it was fine! Sure my kids would have loved to have 2 days there but 1 day was sufficient to see everything. Sea World is also a lot of fun... they have the Bay of Play now with some rides etc. If your kiddo is young then you might consider a day down there too!

Archived