Is It Worth It ?

mrbill62

The first time we cruised we just ate in the main dinning room, and thought the service and the food was great. The next time we decided to eat in the specialty restaurent for my birthday and couldn't believe the difference. Yes there are less courses and the menu never changes, but for only $30 per person you are made to feel like a, well celebrity. So much more attention and personalized service. Since it is a smaller venue they are able to treat you even more special than they do in the main dinning room. We thought we were royalty, even if for only 3 hours. So in my opinion, yes it is more than worth it. Of course I would make it for a special occasion or a one time occurance as the service and food is wonderful in the main dinning room, but I say go for it.

I believe that you can make an online reservation now:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/dining/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=00009xepsv5cOXE-t1OK25c8vBz:12hdbcveb?ProductCode=SS+UDINNER&componentType=3&currencyCode=USD&shipCode=IN

And a link to frequently asked questions (with answers):

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/subject.do;jsessionid=00009xepsv5cOXE-t1OK25c8vBz:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&pagename=faq_questions

One thing to note in particular is that your children must be at least 14 to dine in the Infinity specialty restaurant.

No my question if like how many nights could a go to the restaurant? WE are 3

The service is so over the top that it's more akin to theatre! We had to stop ourselves from snickering at the somewhat pompous nature of the whole thing!! For instance, when they bring the entree, two waiters appear, and on cue and in unison, they lavishly remove the silver dome from your plate--ta da!! Now, I have eaten at some great restaurants, most of the outstanding restaurants in San Francisco for instance, and never have I seen such a production.

There is a term for what you describe and it is called 'butterfly service', where the waiters simultaneously remove the domes from all dinner plates to reveal the masterpiece meal within. I've experienced this only once before ten years ago in a very high priced Italian restaurant in the Ginza district of Tokyo (hosted by my future father-in-law) and it was a truly memorable dining experience. You may consider it pompous but it is not something =X= invented. Rather, the cruiseline is continuing a European tradition and we're lucky to be able to experience it for a mere $30 per person. Our dinner in Tokyo back then was over $300 per person which certainly puts it in perspective for me.

Taking a cruise on the Infinity in Sept. Is the specialty dining at $30.00 per person worth It? Thanks for the feed back. Mrbill tracy ca

My DH and I, too, think it is well worth the price. I don't know why anyone would think it "too theatrical" though. Like rolfecms stated, this way of serving isn't anything new. It's special, and when done in a nice setting on top of it, it is a pleasurable experience. The food is incredible and is above the main dining room and I love the main dining room food. Never had any problems with ordering wines of a lesser cost, either. I would highly recommend trying them at least once. If you don't care for great service and great food then you don't have to go back, but you'll never know if you don't try. :D

Oh, yeah, and my son and his family live in Tracy. My DIL is a teacher at Monticello Elementary. ;)

We felt that the food wasn't necessarily worth it, and we don't drink wine, but the show was definitely worth going at least once if you haven't gone before. We were with 3 other couples from our roll call at a large table tucked away almost by ourselves in an alcove. With each course 4 waiters appeared and put all 8 plates down at the same time. It was like a ballet, something to behold!

When dining in the specialty restaurant are you restricted to one choice from each course or can you order multiple selections from a course, like in the regular dining room?

You are only supposed to choose one but I have seen them let people have more than one on occasion. Personally I think it's a lot of food and everyone is usually stuffed when they leave the table.

You are only supposed to choose one but I have seen them let people have more than one on occasion. Personally I think it's a lot of food and everyone is usually stuffed when they leave the table.

Thanks for your response to my question. I think the dessert choices would kill me!:o

Hello,

I agree with the other posters... the specialty dining room on the Infinity is the SS United States room, and is a special treat even at $30.00 per person. Overall, am experience to remember, excellent service, a wonderful ambiance, and great food.

Fred

Hello,

I agree with the other posters... the specialty dining room on the Infinity is the SS United States room, and is a special treat even at $30.00 per person. Overall, am experience to remember, excellent service, a wonderful ambiance, and great food.

Fred

I think you have posted the operative word...experience. It is an experience. Not only is the meal extremely good...but there is a little bit of theater and flair.

It's not that anyone needs that type of service...but it's a question of, "Do you want to experience that type of service?"

I feel Celebrity has created a wonderful, alternative, dining venue. You have the opportunity to indulge in delicious, culinary creations...and to dine in a beautiful, pampered atmosphere.

It only adds to your cruising adventure.

...and ours was one of the few bad ones. I won't trash the experience in detail (again), however, even on a slow night at a good restaurant things can get really screwed up. At least on a land based restaurant we could have gotten something comped off of the bill.

I would just like to respond to various comments that were made about the service in the specialty dining room being over the top.

The first time my husband and I dined in one, it was just the two of us and frequently there were more than two people at the table waiting on us. When that happened I felt that way too.

However, when we go to the specialty dining room with another couple, the service seems more in line with what we get at an upscale land based restaurant.

No my question if like how many nights could a go to the restaurant? WE are 3

There is not a limit to how many times you can enjoy the specialty restaurant, but there are practical limits.

First, there are very few tables in each specialty restaurant. You need to get reservations, and you may be competing with hundreds of other guests.

Second, in some of the restaurants, there is a fixed menu for the entire cruise. If you return for another night, you will have the same menu choices. I just returned from the Summit and we dined in the Normandie restaurant twice, using the same menu but choosing different items.

Third, at some point it becomes expensive. The $30 per person charge is for each person and each visit. For three people, it would be a charge of $90 per evening, plus drinks, etc.

Hope this helps!

There is not a limit to how many times you can enjoy the specialty restaurant, but there are practical limits.

First, there are very few tables in each specialty restaurant. You need to get reservations, and you may be competing with hundreds of other guests.

Second, in some of the restaurants, there is a fixed menu for the entire cruise. If you return for another night, you will have the same menu choices. I just returned from the Summit and we dined in the Normandie restaurant twice, using the same menu but choosing different items.

Third, at some point it becomes expensive. The $30 per person charge is for each person and each visit. For three people, it would be a charge of $90 per evening, plus drinks, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, it help a lot, its just magnific, so like if we do a total of one night lets think that in total is 100 dolars, so I think is enough, Im not pretending spending too much in dinner that is for adults and my kids are only going to eat half. And if theres kids menu, is nothing for 30 dolars. So well thanks

I think that I will choose only one night, but too many dates, what date should I choose:confused:

Thanks

We just ate at the S.S. United States on the Infinity and it was definitely worth it. The room is beautiful, the service is more personalized, and many of the items on the menu are prepared tableside. We enjoyed the cheese course at the end of the meal. My father, who was with us, commented that the experience was like going to a very good restaurant 50 years ago. Not many land-based restaurants offer the same type of service these days. If you've been to an old-style restaurant in NYC like Le Perigord, you will know what it's like.

When we first went on the Summit to Mexico, we tried the Normandie and loved it...so much so that we went back a second night on the same cruise. When we went to Alaska last year (again on the Summit) with my parents, my brother and his wife, we pre-reserved a night at the Normandie to take the four of them. It was one of the highlights of the cruise for all of us. Besides the great food and service, the atmosphere made for a nice evening of family...:)

Archived