Didn't realize it was Bumbershoot 2008!!!!

collector

We're going to be in Seattle post cruise on 8/29 to 9/30 and didn't know it was a festival weekend. We're staying at the Best Western River Edge near the airport and have rented a car. Now we're wondering if there's a better alternative now that the city is going to be so crowded for the weekend. We thought that we could get a shuttle to the hotel, leave our luggage since we can't check in until 3, and get some kind of transportation to the sites in the city. How is the public transportation in the city? Will we have trouble getting around as tourists? There are 4 of us. We want to see the Space Needle (which I understand is right in the middle of the action), the Pike Street Market, and anything else that's of interest. Thanks in advance, I've been reading your posts for a while now, and everyone has been so helpful. We're so excited we can't stand it.

Welcome to Seattle! Yeah, Labor Day weekend is Bumbershoot, but don't worry too-too much about it. The crowds are pretty well contained at Seattle Center and the city should be otherwise accessible for you. I wouldn't recommend a visit to the Space Needle though ... not sure how/if you can visit it without paying admission to the festival .. they might have something set up to allow you to visit the Needle only, but I don't know how that works, if it exists. Pike Place Market will be completely unaffected by the festival, so no worries there.

On another tack, you might be interested in attending Bumbershoot. It's a pretty cool festival, with pretty much something for everybody. They have something like 8 or 9 stages set up all around Seattle Center with some half-dozen shows on each stage every day of the festival. Each stage has a different kind of music on it .. it's heavy on rock, but there's also World Beat music and other styles as well. Live comedy. Short films. A "fine arts" show. Author readings. Tons and tons of arts and crafts for sale. And of course, loads of our "fair food" booths.

http://www.bumbershoot.org/

Welcome to Seattle! Yeah, Labor Day weekend is Bumbershoot, but don't worry too-too much about it. The crowds are pretty well contained at Seattle Center and the city should be otherwise accessible for you. I wouldn't recommend a visit to the Space Needle though ... not sure how/if you can visit it without paying admission to the festival .. they might have something set up to allow you to visit the Needle only, but I don't know how that works, if it exists. Pike Place Market will be completely unaffected by the festival, so no worries there.

On another tack, you might be interested in attending Bumbershoot. It's a pretty cool festival, with pretty much something for everybody. They have something like 8 or 9 stages set up all around Seattle Center with some half-dozen shows on each stage every day of the festival. Each stage has a different kind of music on it .. it's heavy on rock, but there's also World Beat music and other styles as well. Live comedy. Short films. A "fine arts" show. Author readings. Tons and tons of arts and crafts for sale. And of course, loads of our "fair food" booths.

http://www.bumbershoot.org/

The buses downtown that run along 1st and 3rd Avs toward Seattle Center will most likely be affected.....usually to the SRO point or worse.

I, on the other hand, would not recommend spending the $40.00 or more for a Bumbershoot day ticket. Not worth it if there are other things that you want to see in town....way too pricy.

I, on the other hand, would not recommend spending the $40.00 or more for a Bumbershoot day ticket. Not worth it if there are other things that you want to see in town....way too pricy.

Agree to disagree. For anyone who's a fan of live music, 40 bucks a day is great bargain ... especially when you get mainstream national acts playing good long sets. While not typically a "tourist attraction," it would be a good bet for someone looking for a local experience and something a little different.

Agree to disagree. For anyone who's a fan of live music, 40 bucks a day is great bargain ... especially when you get mainstream national acts playing good long sets. While not typically a "tourist attraction," it would be a good bet for someone looking for a local experience and something a little different.

I wouldn't need a ticket one way or another. I can hear the noise from my apartment a mile and a half away. Keeps me awake half of the night when I have to be up at 3 am....not conducive to my wanting to go and pay to get in.....:D

Archived