Enrichment lectures

Plumfy

I've just done a search to find out about the type of enrichment lectures to look forward to on the Summit at Christmas. I was hoping for some Island talks, nature or history talks. I'm concerned that Celebrity don't do such a thing or have stopped doing it.

Anyone able to give me any news on this??

Please :)

I've just done a search to find out about the type of enrichment lectures to look forward to on the Summit at Christmas. I was hoping for some Island talks, nature or history talks. I'm concerned that Celebrity don't do such a thing or have stopped doing it.

Anyone able to give me any news on this??

Please :)

I spoke with a woman on our November 2008 Constellation cruise board and her husband is doing the lectures for our cruise. I would assume you would also have them.

Enrichments lectures vary from cruise to cruise. They can range from maritine history to marine biology.

My personal favorites have been on Transatlantic crossings. I've heard John Maxtone-Graham, and David Perry. Each has their own wonderful tales of liner lore and the history of Atlantic crossings.

I've sailed Summit twice and both times there were extensive enrichment lectures/movies etc. The first was an 11 nighter to Panama. We had a NOVA type condensed movie of The Path to the Sea about the construction of the Panama Canal. The Acupuncture at Sea program had just begun and there were 3 lectures given by Dr Maria Bell PhD, Oriental Medicine 101 (which was repeated another day); Treating Back Pain w/Oriental Medicine, Nutrition & the East. Wealso had motivational speaker, Dr. Rosemarie Rossetti, PhD: Just Like Riding a Bike, Scared Stiff!, Listen UP! and Why Do I feel like my Life is Out of Balance. We had Thomas Carefoot, a marine biologist give 4 lectures on the biology of Caribbean coral reefs: Let's Go On a Virtual Dive; The Fight for Space, Mates, and Food; Living together; & Why are Coral Reefs so Colorful?

The second cruise on Summit was a 7 nighter S. Bound Alaska. We had naturalist, Dirk Younkerman speak and show films of his own work. His topics were "Glaciers, Alaska's Rivers of Ice," "Humpback Whales." Everyone afterward was saying, of the whales, "here today, gone to Maui.", "Furry, Feathered and Free" about Alaska's wild residents.. The expression for this one was "otters and eagles and bears, Oh MY!, and "Orca, the Killer Whales." We learned so much. We also had astronomer, Harvey Corn who gave 3 lectures "Oh, What a Night" a fresh look at facts and fables; A Northern Night-watch; and Andromeda's Troubles The stars have their stories and that's no myth!! That is 7 lectures in 7 days.

There were no lectures or enrichment on 2 night cruises.

Personally, I feel that a harpist and a string quartet is enrichment, even without a lecture.

On our Constellation TA, we had Martin Fitzwater (Press Sec for Reagan and Bush) speak I think about 3 times, along with a retired Ambassador (forgot his name). Both great lecturers.

On Carabbean cruises, we've had lectures on how beaches are built, and how the islands were formed. Other lectures were more travel-log types which could be interesting. Most were not hidden 'ads' or come-ons.

One lecture that I didn't enjoy was about Mexican and Egyptian Pyramids. The lecturer presented herself as an expert and then went on to state how 'Atlantians' had built or taught the New World Indians how to build Pyrmaids. Silly. She completely ignored the huge differences between them and spoke as if her ideas had academic merit. She also didn't take any questions so it was quite frustrating to listen to such silly talk.

Funny how I 'talk' about the one poor lecture and mention the many excellent ones more generally.

Denny

If you are on the Summit 7 nighter, I doubt there will be lectures. With only one day at sea, there just isn't enough time. We did the 10 nighter on the Galaxy last year with 2 days and they didn't do any lectures on the islands. X has enough other activities to fill the days

Archived