What do you think?

Famof6

We're thinking of a cruise for our daughter's high school graduation next June. The ideal setup would be three cabins: one for my husband and myself, one for our two sons and one for our daughter and her BFF. But if the friend decides not to come, we would put all three kids in the same cabin. Will RCCL let us book a 3-person cabin with only two people in it?

Yes, RCCL will let you book a 3 person cabin with only 2 people in it.

The one thing I would caution you though is, even if you book a cabin that has an extra berth available, you may or may not be able to add a 3rd person to that cabin at a later date. All ships have a maximum capacity which is less than the actual number of berths onboard the ship. Once they reach maximum capacity (either for the ship itself, or that particular lifeboat), they no longer allow you to add anyone else to a room even if there are extra berths available in that room. This issue especially comes into play at popular times to sail and/or on popular sailings - which includes summer months when kids are out of school.

There is another issue that may come up. You may need an adult name for each cabin. You did not state the ages of your sons. But if there are only two adults in the family, you may only be able to book 2 cabins. This impacted us several years ago on another RCI cruise. I don't know if it is still applicable. You may want to look in to this so you don't run in to a problem after you have issued invitations to your dd's friend.

Mike

I think you are a rockin' cool mom!!!

Thank you! Actually, I'm just addicted to cruising and will use any family milestone as an excuse! ;) But seriously, we've found cruising to be the best hassle-free type of family vacation; I'm sure everyone on these boards would agree.

Where are you planning to travel? If the Caribbean, have you thought about an all-inclusive resort with water sports included? Talk about a no brainer....and so many choices.....

For our graduates we have done both land and sea vacations, we have had to add and subtract kids from rooms/cabins...have never had a problem with max. cap. on the ships but it is definately something to be aware of.

Worst situation : you daughter gets a cabin to herself.....

Enjoy

Not the case - many people post about getting their kids other cabins without having to do that - as long as they are nearby the parents/adults cabins RCCL allows it.

There is another issue that may come up. You may need an adult name for each cabin. You did not state the ages of your sons. But if there are only two adults in the family, you may only be able to book 2 cabins. This impacted us several years ago on another RCI cruise. I don't know if it is still applicable. You may want to look in to this so you don't run in to a problem after you have issued invitations to your dd's friend.

Mike

Our oldest son is 21, so there's no problem with that cabin. The girls will both be 18, and RCCL will allow them to have a cabin to themselves if we're nearby. In the past I've booked a "phantom" adult so the booking goes through, then fixed it all by the time we pay the final deposit. I've also moved kids around after we got on board; no problem. The biggest headache is trying to find three cabins near each other. We want to go on Mariner's Mexican Riviera; even from Idaho, all six of us can drive to LA for the cost of one airline ticket.

I think you are a rockin' cool mom!!!

Wow, I am so far over the hill, you might as well bury me now. No way on this earth would I ever allow a my daughter graduating from high school to have her boyfriend share a cabin alone. I could probably allow it as a college graduation, but high school is beyond my grasp.

I expect to be flamed, but I personally think you are inviting trouble big time. JMO.

BFF means "best friend forever"

:-)

Thanks for explaining to this old lady that it's her friend. I do apologize to the OP, and agree she is a cool mom.

Not only am I old, but I speed read so miss a lot of things. I guess I have provided a good laugh for some people, lol.

Thanks again for the explanation.:o

Archived