A Complete Celebrity Disaster!

EssexGary

Maybe that's why you are travelling in circles and not getting anywhere? (ROFLMAO)
Oh, I get places...perhaps my circles are just broader than others...

Besides, if the crossing or cruise is the destination, what's the importance of "getting anywhere?" :)

Andrew

Hmmm. Apparently some are entitled to their opinion, and the rest of us not?

And, having sailed Celebrity many times, and being from the US, I can assure you that in the circles in which I travel, "pre-tipping" or a "bribe" or what ever label you give it, is NOT the norm for either the cruise line or the country.

Andrew

You are absolutely correct. I, too, have sailed Celebrity and exceptional service is the norm with no known expectation or anticipation of anything other than the per diem tips. As is Cunard. Unfortunately there are some who think that they can buy kindness and service. If that is the only way that I could get proper service, I'd stay at home.

As to the Christopher Columbus retort, world exploration is a bit different than lack of social graces and proper manners. I see no correlation between the two.

But we all know that $50 Bob is not going to have his mind changed. I am just happy that the rest of us, Cousins and Yanks alike, are on the same page on this issue.

Michael - looking forward to meeting you guys. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals... ps - I'll die if you get a Q cabin and we don't....!!!!!

Bettie - you too (on the meeting you part, not the nuptuals!)

Now, on to tipping. Cunard attempts to be British in its style and etiquette - there is NOTHING more un-British than tipping before service (actually, us Brits are lousy tippers even after the event!). I consider bribe-tipping to be rude and worst of all - sends a message to the person giving the service that you dont trust them to perform in the first place. This can be really demotivating.

Human nature says that you will work harder, better, faster and more passionately if there is a reward at the end, especially if you don't know just how much £ that reward could be.

Well Gary, there is a large group of us who are going to be celebrating the nuptials with Michael and Ben. You have no idea what a fun crowd is on this sailing. Be prepared! ;)

Bobnatt,

I can only say tht on my recent Cunard cruise of 24 days, my on board statement certainly did contain a quote"hotel charge" i.e tipps, for every day on board

I wish the cost was included but it was not. Have two more Cunard cruises booked, would certainly be glad to know where you found the "included" comment, as nothing on my invoices indicate that the price includes gratuity, perhaps this is only for UK cruisers.

I think that it is worded poorly. Tips are not included in the price of the cruise but are added to your onboard account.

Yeah, like Christopher Columbus was wrong when he said the world was round and everyone else said the world was flat....

No one else said the world was flat.....in fact (except for a very few) the settled view among in Western civilisation was that the world was spherical, from the 3rd century BC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Maybe in the Commonwealth of Virginia but New York area folks find it very appropriate.

Whoa.... I have lived all over New York state, from Manhattan to just outside of Lake Placid, and the only place I have ever heard of greasing the maitre'd with a $50 bill is the Saratoga racetrack, and only in August. This was over 10 years ago, in fact, I have been told that often the maitre'd has said "sorry sir I can't". Please don't paint all New Yorkers with this brush.

I think you should have used your sock to make this post.... what was that screen name again?

Guest Anorak33

A few years ago we were departing NYC on QE2 and had a few days in the area, we booked a hotel by Hotwire and were allocated the Crowne Plaza (nice hotel) in Secaucus NJ just over the river.

My boss went to checkin, I followed on with the bags and the conversation went somewhat like this:

Hi, we made a reservation through Hotwire for a room -

(clerk) oh yes madam, thats the one overlooking the swamp

do you have one with a view of the Manhattan skyline please?

(clerk) I am sorry they are all reserved (then catches sight of $20 bill on counter) and one of those reservations is for you, thankyou very much madam.

Having said that Bob you are entitled to your own opinion of course ;) but a few posters on here sadly do not seem to grasp this concept as i have come to realise. :eek:

Gav :cool:

Gav:

You always get your table because you are an ICON!

And while posters are "entitled" to their opinions, they must also be prepared for others to react and say "Your opinion is cr*p!, in my opinion".:D

A few years ago we were departing NYC on QE2 and had a few days in the area, we booked a hotel by Hotwire and were allocated the Crowne Plaza (nice hotel) in Secaucus NJ just over the river.

My boss went to checkin, I followed on with the bags and the conversation went somewhat like this:

(clerk) I am sorry they are all reserved (then catches sight of $20 bill on counter) and one of those reservations is for you, thankyou very much madam.

I'm not saying that service can't be bought and it might well work but it does not make it proper or in good taste. And Crowne Plaza/Holiday Inn is, thank goodness, a bit different than Cunard.

Yeah, so, your point is?? That's New Jersey, what's more, Secaucus, which even New Jerseyites make fun of! Come back when you can recount (make up) a story such as this about New York! I know, it happens here too, no doubt, but my view is, if you have to pay a bride to get a perk or service, you probably don't deserve it! (Just kidding around here, A33, please don't let go of your newly gained QE2 happy persona!)

Guest Anorak33

Hi

I wasn't aware Secaucus had a reputation like that, I just like a hotel with a view of Manhattan, the best skyline in the world for me, and you can't get such a good one if you stay on the island itself.

Also the NJ side has cleaner bigger rooms in major hotel groups at a third the price of NYC, at least that's my experience.

Yes we're still happy in the QE2 afterglow, looking at booking Seabourne Legend for a T/A in November, should be a fine if possibly somewhat rock'n'roll experience.

Isn't it a bit early to call it a disaster?

I have found in the past that introducing the Maitre D' to a President usually sorts things out (you may not even have to do that), go and see him asap after boarding.

Quite often some passengers are just allocated late dining and don't want it, being elderly, diabetic, young families or whatever reason, and spaces open up on the day, or at least the day after sailing.

I was surprised (and sorry) to read that you canceled your booking on Celebrity's new 'Solstice' due to a waitlist for your dining preference. Anorak is correct and there will undoubtedly be passengers that will request to change their dining time, either upon boarding or that evening. And that request, at least to my knowledge and experience, is not accompanied by a (pre-cruise) bill in hand for the Maitre d', nor is it neccessary. Celebrity will do everything possible to honor your request. And their white-glove service (as well as their cuisine) is excellent. Not to take you away from Cunard, but I hope that you will reconsider, 'spread your wings', and experience the 'Solstice'. Your dining preference may even come through prior to your departure date. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived