Just back-Copenhagen, Visby,Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm

RachelG

We disembarked in Stockholm. The port is quite a ways from the Old Town. We took a taxi to our hotel which was right across a small bridge from Gamla Stan. It cost about $40 which was reasonable I thought considering all the luggage etc.

I saw a couple of really small ships docking downtonw (Seabourn was one), but the larger ones can't because of all the bridges.

I would expect that the cruise line would offer a shuttle. You can easily do Stockholm on your own--subway, ferries, trams and buses will take you everywhere. Highly recommend the Vasa Museum and Skansen (if it is a nice day). They are right side by side.

• 2 months later...

Good question--hard to decide. If the weather would cooperate, I would vote for Helsinki as the fortress would be really great to visit, esp with kids.

But the weather was terrible in Helsinki for us--rained very hard. So there are no guarantees.

In Tallinn, my son and I had a good time walking around, and we both enjoyed the Occupation Museum, but my kids are weird--really into history.

Either way, I think you will have a great time.

• 1 month later...

I agree with RachelG. Walking through Old Tallinn is like stepping back into the Middle Ages, and the Town Hall Square is breathtaking, but the experience means more to adults than kids. In Helsinki you can take them out to the enormous fortified island that used to guard the entrance to the port, and let them off the leash. Their imaginations, and legs, will run wild. My kids, at least, were more into castle ruins than town halls.

The weather is not much of an issue. The two cities are on opposite sides of the Gulf of Finland and only 50 miles apart. They get rain at different times but the chances of it are about the same. Depending on how delicate they are, most kids can enjoy a fortress in the rain, too.

Archived