Winds in the Gulf of Mexico

2cruisers55

I would like some advice from you seasoned Gulf cruisers. When is the best time to cruise the Gulf? We have cruised in November and the wind was so bad the open decks were closed. We have booked our next cruise for mid September 09 and are wondering about the "usual weather" that month.

I assume you mean Mexican Rivera.

Winter and spring are the usual times any type of storms comeing in from the Pacific or South along the coast.

“Weather” can mean storms or just plain wind. The normal conditions have currents and winds going south along the coast. No problem if you are headed south. The last couple of days have you headed home, North at 20-25 MPH. You are then meeting southerly winds 10-30 MPH and currents of 5-10 MPH. We have had decks closed about half the time on the last night just due to wind. This is also the time you will experience “seas” of any size if the first five days are calm.

We have traveled at varying times of the year and haven’t been able to predict the weather more than a week ahead of time.

I assume you mean Mexican Rivera.

I believe the OP was talking about the Gulf of Mexico and the Western Caribbean.

Winds and weather can vary year round in the Gulf. We had rough seas on our December cruise due to a cold front coming through Texas and Florida - which can happen any time during the winter. From June to November, you could see a hurricane.

In September your biggest issue will be the fact that it is hurricane season.

I agree with the above post. Some of our cruises in the Gulf of Mexico was like sailing on glass and once we encountered a front in January on the Grandeur that had 20 foot waves and all outside decks were closed. Nothing like arriving in Tampa to 45 degree weather.

Due to the DW work (a teacher) we are forced to do a lot of cruising during hurricane season. We have a few ports missed but unless they have to get the ship to the home port they do a great job of keeping it out of the really bad weather.

As my Dad used to say you can't do nuthin' about the weather so just enjoy it.

Archived