Progresso, Mexico

Does anybody know why they dropped Progresso, Mexico from the Voyager cruise leaving Galveston on Jan. 25, 2009? Was there any damage from Dolly, or is it an expense saving thingy from RCCL? It really doesn't make that much difference to me, but that was about the only port that had any side tour that I was interested in. Fortunately, my ultimate destination is the ship and the food. :) I am curious however.

Looks like Progresso has been scratched from Voyager Galveston cruises. Could be many reasons. . . port facilities, security, customer dislike, port/cruise line contracts, etc.

We sail 2/22 from Galveston, and losing Progresso is not a big deal, as many have posted on our M&M page. However, why not substitute some place like Playa Del Carmen instead of a sea day? When the hurricane cancelled out Costa Maya for a while, on our Jewel cruise Playa was substituted for Costa Maya. Had a fun time there and would love to go back there again.

Rick and Deirdra

Be came in fill-in when Costa Maya was destroyed. Costa Maya is going to be back up and running by the time Voyager returns. I would guess they keep Progresso on the schedule just in case Costa Maya was not ready to recieve cruise ships.

Nice little place, we liked the cave diving, nothing else caught our attention the three times we have been there.

My guess is that dropping Progresso is strictly for money savings. One less port and associated port fees, and can save fuel by reducing the ship's speed considerably (dropping Progresso did not reduce the complete round trip miles by much if any; so lower average speed).

I think that cruise lines will continue to drop ports if a dropping a port reduces overall costs and not cause much kickback from customers. I think Progresso meets both of those items. Aruba is another port that has been rumored to be on the "drop" list due to its long distance from any other port. However, dropping Aruba will cause complaints from passengers.

Archived