Canon G7 Optional Telephoto lens - Tips

Howdy,

I've been using a Canon G7 camera (and loving it) for about the past year. I'm going on the Serenade cruise to Alaska soon and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips with the optional Telephoto lens (TC-DC58C) - is it worth getting or will the G7's 6X zoom suffice.

Thanks for any feedback,

CG

Howdy,

I've been using a Canon G7 camera (and loving it) for about the past year. I'm going on the Serenade cruise to Alaska soon and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips with the optional Telephoto lens (TC-DC58C) - is it worth getting or will the G7's 6X zoom suffice.

Thanks for any feedback,

CG

The 35mm-210mm equivalent range of the G7 is good for most situations, but for Alaska, especially if you plan on doing wildlife excursions, it may be a little short. I did Alaska in 2004 using my Minolta A2 and the matched teleconverter worked very well. The image quality was still great since it, like the one you're looking at, was a quality lens made by the camera manufacturer specifically for the camera. There was some increased chromatic aberration in high-contrast areas, but that's the price you pay for adding a simple converter to the front of a lens. All-in-all, it worked just fine and gave me more range than I would have had.

My 2¢...

Dave

Thanks for the input. I decided to get the accessory lenses. Should be here this weekend and will give me a little time to practice before the cruise.

Thanks and cheers,

CG

I have the G9 and took it on our recent Alaska cruise. As Dave said, the 6x zoom is adequate in most situations but it was a little short for Alaska. The one thing about the G9 is that since it is 12.1 MP you can do a lot of cropping and still have a decent picture. That doesn't take the place of a long zoom though. I got some great pictures but no close ups of that far away wildlife.

I would be interested in knowing how the accessory lens works for you though.

Archived