Safety In Turkey

We will be in Izmir, Marmaris, and Istanbul, Turkey in October and have booked tours through the ship as we feel it might be safer than private tours. Any one have an opinion as far as that goes and have you been on any outstanding private tours?

Nothing to report as yet, but I have private tours booked in Izmir and Istanbul next week and haven't any concerns whatsoever about safety.

Sparky, have a wonderful visit in Turkey. Like you, I have zero concerns about that area and am looking forward next May to Kusadasi, Izmir, Izmir, Istanbul for 2 days, Sinop, and Trabzon with Sevastopol thrown in. I hope my cruise makes all these ports and all good wishes to you for the same.

Ruby

I frankly do not see what the relationship is between safety and taking a ship's tours or private tours you arranged with the same type of outfits with whom the ship contracts. Personal safety against theft should be the same with both. The vigilant individual using a money belt always is safer than the guy with the wallet in his back pocket or the gal with the pocketbook on her shoulder. (And if you mean terrorists targeting tourists, I can't help but think back to the attack on the (I believe German) tour group in Egypt way back when; those you cannot dwell upon if you wish to explore the world.)

Have a great trip!

Pam

I frankly do not see what the relationship is between safety and taking a ship's tours or private tours you arranged with the same type of outfits with whom the ship contracts. Personal safety against theft should be the same with both. The vigilant individual using a money belt always is safer than the guy with the wallet in his back pocket or the gal with the pocketbook on her shoulder. (And if you mean terrorists targeting tourists, I can't help but think back to the attack on the (I believe German) tour group in Egypt way back when; those you cannot dwell upon if you wish to explore the world.)

Have a great trip!

Pam

Just not sure who would be the most likely target-a large tour bus group or a private van, for both pickpockets or terrorists. We have traveled overseas many times, but just not to that part of the world.

We spent two days in Istanbul at the end of our cruise. We spent a day alone at both bazaars and felt completely safe. We had a private tour guide on the other day to see all the sights and she did a great job. There were a lot of people who approached us at the different sights and she would say something to them and they would disappear quickly. I think she was telling them to back off.

One evening, we went out on our own and walked from the hotel to the city center. We had a nice dinner at an outdoor cafe and walked along the shopping area. At one point, we did hear a very loud explosion, but it didn't seem to bother anyone, so we just went about our business.

Istanbul was a great experience. Have fun.

Archived