Old Panama City Tour on Princess?

kellieann5

I had posted this one in the Panama forum, but no replies- any feedback would be great!

Has anyone done this tour? It looks like a 5.5 hour tour? Can I get some feedback- What time were you let off the boat? Did you had time to shop in Cristobal? If you liked/disliked the tour overall? Thanks!!

My DW and I took this tour this past April on our partial transit tour from Ft. Lauderdale. We tendered fromt the ship early in the morning after entering Lake Gancun and took a bus to the Old Panama Ruins. We also saw some of the sites along the way and spent some time in Panama City in the art district. We had an excellent guide and driver and thought the tour was very much worth the money. We returned with more than enough time to shop in the Bazaar set up in Chrisobal along side the ship.

I took this tour in March. As soon as we passed the first lock, we were shuttled to shore (very close) by their tender. Our guide was also excellent. By the time we arrived in Panama City, we all just walked around in the rain. You cannot imagine Panama with such highrises (50-70 stories), five class hotels, BANKS galore, and so much history. Wonderful for history buffs.

For those that have taken this tour, did the bus ride to Panama City feel long? How much time was spent off the bus once you reached Panama City? Thanks so much for all info as we are also considering this tour on our partial transit from FLL but wonder if we will feel as if its too much time on the bus??

The bus ride did not seem all that long because they were showing sites of interest such as the original Panama Zone area, etc. We had one stop for a brief museum tour before reaching the Old Panama ruins. We walked around there for about thirty minutes before going to the art district. Again we walked around for 30 to 40 minutes before proceeding back to the ship.

The bus ride did not seem all that long because they were showing sites of interest such as the original Panama Zone area, etc. We had one stop for a brief museum tour before reaching the Old Panama ruins. We walked around there for about thirty minutes before going to the art district. Again we walked around for 30 to 40 minutes before proceeding back to the ship.

Thank you for the info!:) We're trying to decide between this tour and the Indian Village. I think I'm going to have a lottery drawing to actually choose! :D

Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback! I am a total history nut, and I LOVE South American history- this is me and DH's first trip to Central America....I think this will be a must do!

I am concerned with missing the Canal though. You only get to go through one lock? How many locks are there? To the people who have done the tour- did you feel like you missed out on the Canal experience at all?

I want it all! History, tours, Canal.... (-:

There are 3 sets of locks and each set has 2 or 3 "steps". Steps are just chambers within the locks. The height of the a ship has to go up or down is too much to do at one time, so a ship goes into a chamber and is dropped or raise some distance, then goes into another chamber and does the same thing until the ship is even with the channel and continue on it voyage. There is a Nat'l Geo Graphic VHS tape on the construction of the canal. I checked it out of my local library to watch before we took our trip. The locks are pretty much the same. The way they move the ships is the same in all of them. The passing scenery is what is different. My wife and I both like history so we spent time in Old Panama City and in the original settlement of Panama. There was a building with several small stores all selling pretty much the same things at the Original Panama City ruins.

Like most people, I was up and out early (6-6:30am). Panama Canal Captain takes ship through canal. This takes a good 2 hours. Grab something to eat then do tour. Bus ride to Panama is not too bad (since I do not like long rides); maybe 1 1/4 hrs. You will see history.

Archived