Nickelodeon charter - Freedom

gal40

We were on the Enchantment of the Seas who docked next to the Freedom in cozumel. My daughter met one of the actresses from the Nickelodeon show I-Carly. The young girl was very nice and my daughter was thrilled to meet her. She signed my daughter's book and for the first time my teen age daughter was speechless!!!

Macwoman

We had a great time.

On average, there are about 800 kids on Freedom -- this cruise it was 1,800, according to staff. Thus, things were a bit taxing in terms of staff being able to keep up with all the kids, but they had a lot more adventure ocean members on hand to handle the influx. And the wait staff were very patient. Overall, I think RC did a fine job with things given the dual-staff approach (Nick brought in a lot of people from their hotel property).

I got the sense Nick's portion was a trial run at what could be done on a cruise. While they had a lot of activities planned, I got the feeling they really weren't thought out too well. A fair share of confusion. For example, the meet and greet for the I-Carly stars was chaotic and they needed to schedule additional ones to handle the number kids. The poor voice of SpongeBob guy looked worn out by the end of the cruise, as did their host (equivalent of cruise director), Reuben. But, for all they did (and put up with), it's more than expected. My hat goes off to all of them.

All said, for a first-ever, it was well done and I'm sure Nick learned a lot from this test.

Also, at the closing show, they announced 2 Nick cruises for next year -- 1 from Port Canaveral and another from LA, I believe.

Also, at the closing show, they announced 2 Nick cruises for next year -- 1 from Port Canaveral and another from LA, I believe.

hmmmm.....that may explain why the 7/26/09 Mariner sailing out of L.A. is all of a sudden not available - no cabin, nowhere. Actually, I'd love to be able to take the grandkids on a Nick cruise from here - the lack of airfare would pay for the jacked up price :eek:

Katink

Obviously the one from PC would be back on Freedom, and the one from LA being on Mariner.

Did Nick have their own CD (Reuben?), or did he work beside the current Freedom CD?

Reuben hosted all the Nick events (was not called a "CD" per se, but served that role) and worked with Ken Rush (the RC CD) throughout the ship on various Nick activities.

If it had any Nick presence, Reuben was there. The standard RC-only stuff was just Ken.

I am booked on it already and our group has 35 cabins and can't get any more. The writing may be on the wall. I woner if we are going to get bumped or if we will be able to keep our cabins at our rate. Luckily we still have 10 more cabins if that is the case, we can fill up with Nick fans. LOL. Of course my kids are teenagers, so it doesn'thelp me.

I am booked on it already and our group has 35 cabins and can't get any more. The writing may be on the wall. I woner if we are going to get bumped or if we will be able to keep our cabins at our rate. Luckily we still have 10 more cabins if that is the case, we can fill up with Nick fans. LOL. Of course my kids are teenagers, so it doesn'thelp me.

If it really is your cruise that is chartered, you will be bumped from the ship. If you wanted to stay on the same week, you'd have to rebook through the agency that chartered at the rates that group is charging (likely much higher than what you've already paid).

I didn't know that I-Carly was there too. :eek:

OK, rethinking it, *maybe* it would have been worth it. I didn't think that Spongebob and Dora were such a big deal because we can go to Paramount Parks and see them. But I-Carly would have been a draw for my kids.

Glad you had fun!

If anyone finds out next year's dates and you please post them? My kids would love that but, if it way more than a "normal" cruise forget it lol. We can go to the Nick Hotel instead.

This past cruise WAS way more than a normal Freedom cruise. When I first saw the prices, they were 2x's the cost of a normal Freedom cruise. I don't know if those prices came down from when I first saw them. I know that Nick advertised it like crazy and kept on advertising it right up until the end. Which tells me that it didn't sell as fast as they were hoping. ;)

Maybe they will adjust the prices for the next one.

Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I am the family travel editor for The Independent Traveler, and was on the Nick cruise as well. I am currently working on a story for Cruise Critic about my experiences onboard with my son - which I’m hoping to finish soon. We had a terrific time, and I agree that the folks at both RC and Nickelodeon did a fine job. I hope you stay tuned, and check it out! I also wanted to let you know that we should have details on next year’s cruise dates very soon(within a day or two) and I’ll post them as soon as I do. Unless someone beats me to it! I’d also love to hear more about all of your experiences if you were on the ship.

Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I am the family travel editor for The Independent Traveler, and was on the Nick cruise as well. I am currently working on a story for Cruise Critic about my experiences onboard with my son - which I’m hoping to finish soon. We had a terrific time, and I agree that the folks at both RC and Nickelodeon did a fine job. I hope you stay tuned, and check it out! I also wanted to let you know that we should have details on next year’s cruise dates very soon(within a day or two) and I’ll post them as soon as I do. Unless someone beats me to it! I’d also love to hear more about all of your experiences if you were on the ship.

Hey welcome to CC :D

I can't wait to read your story. If you get a chance, also post an intro over at the CC Family board. Some people that don't necessarily cruise RCCL might be interested in a Family Nick cruise.

I look forward to reading your story and getting the info on next year's dates. Thanks!

Just an FYI... Marriott is opening a Nickelodeon brand of hotels, first should open in San Diego in 2010.

------------------------------------

Nickelodeon and Marriott International Enter Into Global Partnership to Create New Branded Hotel Experience

20 New Resorts Around the World Expected by 2020; First Hotel Expected to Open in San Diego in 2010

NEW YORK, MAY 31, 2007 – Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE: MAR), Nickelodeon, a unit of Viacom International, Inc.'s (NYSE: VIA B) MTV Networks, and Miller Global Properties, LLC, an international real estate investment and development company, today announced an agreement to co-develop a breakthrough new lodging resort brand and concept for travelers seeking fun and adventure, "Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott," with 20 potential hotels expected to be under construction by 2020.

The new upscale, self-contained destination resorts will be developed through a collaboration among Nickelodeon, the world's number-one entertainment brand for kids, with 35 channels reaching approximately more than 200 million households in 135 countries; Marriott International, which has nearly 2,900 hotels in 68 countries; and Miller Global Properties. Miller Global will have certain exclusive rights to develop and own the resorts in specified geographic areas, and plans to seed an investment fund that is expected to initially provide $300 million of dedicated development equity capital. All "Nickelodeon Resorts by " properties will be managed by Marriott.

The first "Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott" property is expected to be a 650-room resort at Liberty Station in San Diego, which will incorporate a 100,000 square-foot water park and activity deck complex featuring a variety of pools and interactive attractions. Designed by Gensler, the well-known international architectural firm, the resort is expected to break ground in January 2008 and open in early 2010. Other potential resort locations being considered for development include major family-oriented destinations in the U.S., Caribbean and Mexican resort areas, the UK and Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East.

More at:

http://www.nickmarriottpress.com/index.php

Thank you for the dates! I just got confirmation of them as well. Sales begin in mid-September for those who were not on the first cruise. The Mexican Riviera ports are yet to be determined, but Eastern Caribbean ports are: St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Royal Caribbean’s private island, CocoCay, Bahamas.

I've thought of this cruise as a trial for Nick to see if the cruise industry would be able to handle a Nick cruise line. So how did it compare to a Disney cruise. Were the kid to adult ratios equivalent? Were the activities similar and plentiful to keep all the kids entertained all week? Could you see Nick partnering with RCCL for an official Nick ship (ala The Big Red Boat)? We went from 1 to 2 sailings already, maybe in 2011 (after Genesis 1+2) RCCL will build a special Voyager class ship sailing half year from each coast exclusively on Nick cruises.

Just found this thread. We were on the first Nick Cruise. My entire family had just a wonderful time. It was first Cruise for my parents and for my kids. I really thought Nick and RC staff did a great job working together and learning about each other. Yes I do agree the Icarly autograph session and sign in for the Nick Olympics could be approved. I have to give a lot of credit to the actors, my wife and daughter ended up being in line for over an hour, but were not rushed when it was their turn. Sam and Fred posed for as many pictures as my daughter wanted and let my wife video the entire thing. Plus they signed autographs for my daughters friend. Daughter was funny she kept telling me how good Fred smelled. At RC private beach day I did talk with a lot of the Nick Staff during the Nick Games at the beach. They informed me that they wanted to make one of the FOS pools slime green for the week but RC would not approve, plus they had to modify the formula for the slime. For the cruise the slime was not as thick as it usually is. I understand they needed easy clean up. Nick did not want any passengers to be allowed to board until 1:30 so they had time to set up all of their decorations, but RC started boarding passengers around 11:30. I am glad RC boarderd early. Nick still decorating while passengers boarded did not offend me. I actually thought it was pretty neat to see the painters painting the huge Nick Splat logo on the FOS while we were boarding. Also joked with staff that should have created a green drink of the day. Slime bomber would be cool. I will come back later and share more information, but all six of us had just a great time.

Archived