Pattaya

uktog

We are staying 2 days in Laem Chabang on our cruise to allow overnights in Bangkok. We are currently debating whether to do the overnight or do Bangkok Day one on the long 12 hour trip and have a little time at Pattaya for the beach on Day Two when we will have from about 0930 to 1430 (ship sails at 1600 so we will want to be back by 1430 at the latest)

Our questions from those who have been there are

1. How easy is it to pick up taxis at Laem Chabang port and to be sure they will do the return for you (do not want to be stranded in a country where we do not speak the language?

2. How much would a return taxi cost

3. Which beach would you recommend

We are happy to prearrange with a tour guide though dont really want a tour, just transportation

Thanks for your thoughts

PS We know 12 hours is not enough for Bangkok but one day we will be back so do not have to do everything this trip

On my World Cruise this year we did an overnight like the one you are doing. I chose to do a ships tour, 'Bangkok in a Day' and then spend the second day at Pattaya. The full day in Bangkok was plenty of time to see the Grand Palace, have a nice Thai lunch at the Millenium Hotel and get an overview. Our ship, Serenity, ran a complimentary shuttle to Pattaya, which I do not think Oceania does. The beaches at Pattaya are nothing special. The downtown area there is rather seedy and is best known as the Pay-for-Sex capitol of Asia. Not my cup of tea, but worthwhile seeing. The beaches on Ko Samui and Phuket were far nicer than Pattaya. Hope this information helps you enjoy your stay there!

As Pattaya's beaches are nothing special you would probably be better to do the overnight in bangkok. If you book with a company which will design your tour around what you want, you should be able to see the best of bangkok by day and enjoy some great Thai food at a picturesque Thai restaurant by night, then the next day you could visit some of the better sites in pattaya before heading back to your ship. Here's a couple of links which might help you.

http://bangkokdaytours.com/Cruiseships/SanctuaryofTruth.html

http://bangkokdaytours.com/Palaces/GrandPalace.html

We are on Legend of the Seas and stop overnight in Laem Chabang. As we've already stayed in Bangkok twice, I've booked a hotel room in North Pattaya and plan to stay overnight. I know that the beaches are better at the Jomtien side of Pattaya, but we will stay by the pool. I'm debating whether to book a one way transfer with www.imagelimo.com for 1300 baht, or whether to take a taxi from the port ......providing one is available.

We are on Legend of the Seas and stop overnight in Laem Chabang. As we've already stayed in Bangkok twice, I've booked a hotel room in North Pattaya and plan to stay overnight. I know that the beaches are better at the Jomtien side of Pattaya, but we will stay by the pool. I'm debating whether to book a one way transfer with www.imagelimo.com for 1300 baht, or whether to take a taxi from the port ......providing one is available.

That sounds a good plan - we hav decided to do a long day in Bangkok rather than overnight as DH has food allergies (nut which will be an issue we have to watch v carefully in Asia) so we have decided to minimise his off boat eating.

I think I might consider booking a limo each way just for a few hours at a beach on the second day

A

• 2 weeks later...

Archived