Platinum perk: "Wash and Fold" question...

terri910

We have used the Wash and Fold perk just once so far, and that was a few of hubby's cargo shorts that had been washed many times before.

We leave in 5 weeks for our 12-night Vancouver-Hawaii cruise, and have been figuring on the free wash-and-fold to help us keep within the airline's luggage restrictions. But it occurred to me that many of my things are supposed to be washed in cold water and tumble dry in low heat....and I am wondering if the people in the ship's laundry pay attention to the washing instructions on the clothes labels. The last thing I want is to send out a lot of my things in the middle of the cruise and have a bunch of them come back shrunk and unwearable!!!! Do they just toss them in hot water and then into a hot dryer or do they take a bit of care with the clothes, the way I do at home?

If they don't wash in cold water, I'm thinking I won't send anything I'm not certain about, and wind up doing some laundry myself (which would suck, since we're supposed to get free wash, now).

We have used the Wash and Fold perk just once so far, and that was a few of hubby's cargo shorts that had been washed many times before.

We leave in 5 weeks for our 12-night Vancouver-Hawaii cruise, and have been figuring on the free wash-and-fold to help us keep within the airline's luggage restrictions. But it occurred to me that many of my things are supposed to be washed in cold water and tumble dry in low heat....and I am wondering if the people in the ship's laundry pay attention to the washing instructions on the clothes labels. The last thing I want is to send out a lot of my things in the middle of the cruise and have a bunch of them come back shrunk and unwearable!!!! Do they just toss them in hot water and then into a hot dryer or do they take a bit of care with the clothes, the way I do at home?

If they don't wash in cold water, I'm thinking I won't send anything I'm not certain about, and wind up doing some laundry myself (which would suck, since we're supposed to get free wash, now).

I've only sent sturdy clothing items to wash and fold. From my understanding the laundry does not take special care of items. I've even seen where people send colors and whites separately because they've had problems in the past. I wouldn't take a chance and ruin my clothing.

Wash and fold works great for underwear, socks, t-shirts, shorts, pjs, etc. That should take some of your laundry stress away.

Maybe other people have had different experiences than me (and I hope they have) but my wash and fold experience wasn't a good one.

It could be that I am very fussy about how my clothes are washed, but I would do the regular laundry service and pay for it. (with exception to underwear and stuff that won't shrink or wrinkle) I like my stuff washed and pressed...especially since all my cruise clothes are cotton. When I did the wash and fold, everything came back in a zillion wrinkles and I packed the stuff up and brought it all home just to rewash it.

The best laundry service I have had was on NCL.

These are the items we have successfully sent in the past:

underwear

socks

shorts

blue jeans

tshirts

Now I would not send anything that needs "special care" OR that has some sentimental meaning (like a special tshirt).

Other than that, we use the service twice a cruise and have always gotten excellent results.

There is the self service laundry room on board if you have some special items you want to do yourself.

These are the items we have successfully sent in the past:

underwear

socks

shorts

blue jeans

tshirts

Now I would not send anything that needs "special care" OR that has some sentimental meaning (like a special tshirt).

Other than that, we use the service twice a cruise and have always gotten excellent results.

There is the self service laundry room on board if you have some special items you want to do yourself.

I've sent those plus polo shirts, swimsuits, and even an occasional dress shirt or the wrinkle resistant kind.

We use the was/fold service pretty much daily on our cruises.

Jeans, shorts, undergarments, t-shirts, polo shirts, even hubby's dress shirts (I then go the the laundry room and iton them).

Any items requiring special handling I wash in the sink, sqeeze out water with a towel and hang on a hanger in the closet to dry.

Thanks for all the replies....and it is good to see that they are pretty much unanimous.

Just the basics will go. I'll do some stuff myself.

One last thought....when we do socks at home, we almost always wind up with one that has lost its "mate"....does Carnival have the same problem? :)

I haven't experienced the one sock issue. I would be willing to bet they guard those socks with their lives!

The way I see it, getting most of the laundry done by others is better than having to do all of it myself, or in my case before Platinum, doing none of it until I came home because I was on vacation and the last thing I was going to do was laundry!

What is the wash and fold service? Is it really free? Haven't been on Carnival in a few years and don't remember seeing this offered.

thanks!

It's only free if you're a "platinum" cruiser (10 cruises w/Carnival). One day a week they do run a special, though. It's $15 for everything you can stuff in the bag.

One last thought....when we do socks at home, we almost always wind up with one that has lost its "mate"....does Carnival have the same problem? :)

As a matter of fact when we were on the B2B on the Imagination in April I'd just broken my foot and had an air cast that I wore a long terrycloth sock with. I sent the laundry out for the wash & fold service and my cabin steward made a point of letting me know there was only one sock :D

Well i've heard your stuff get's put in a special type laundry bag that has web netting/mesh type, so your stuff doesn't get lost or mixed in with others. So they must wash it with everyone else's bundles of bags in this one huge washer I guess...

still better than doing it yourself:D

This is a cool feature. I just became a Platinum member and will try this out on my Oct 2008 Liberty cruise.

It's only free if you're a "platinum" cruiser (10 cruises w/Carnival). One day a week they do run a special, though. It's $15 for everything you can stuff in the bag.

Well i've heard your stuff get's put in a special type laundry bag that has web netting/mesh type, so your stuff doesn't get lost or mixed in with others. So they must wash it with everyone else's bundles of bags in this one huge washer I guess...

still better than doing it yourself:D

That makes sense....cool!!!

We didn't use the service on our last cruise, and eventually our steward asked us WHY we hadn't taken advantage of the free laundry! We sent out a bag full of mostly the kids' clothes, because I was afraid to send out our stuff! On our next cruise I'm packing half the kids' clothes, socks, and underwear I normally do, and we'll just send their things out to be washed midway through the trip. Not a huge help, but might as well use it!

Archived