New to Seabourn - Champagne question

CLOU

We just booked our first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey next year. We have been Regent cruisers for a number of years, the balcony being a must for my claustrophobic husband. Based on a perceived dip in service on Regent as well as our desire to try new things, we are excited about trying Seabourn. Also being wine lovers, I was curious as to the brand of champagne that is poured. I am not expecting Dom Perignon or Crystal, but I am also not expecting Totts. I know my cruise is a year off, but planning and anticipation is part of the fun. Thanks for any input.

On most all my Seabourn cruises, Heidsieck Monopole Champagne was the bubbly served. Last year, in November, it was a different French Champagne. (I don't recall the name...)

Host Dan

Thanks for the info. Both Heidsieck and Feuillatte are well known Champagne houses, and even there basic lable is much better than the Champagne you usually get in a setting where it is being poued for a large group. Based on all that I have read, it sounds like this is an example of what I can expect on Seabourn and it sounds great.

Clou:

If you really appreciate fine wine, you may wish to consider purchasing one of the wine upgrade packages. They are an excellent value and if our experience on the Legend is typical, you will get special attention from the sommelier. We also brought a few bottles of very special wine with us, and were treated extremely well (they brought out the best stemware for our wines.)

Steve

My husband has been looking into the fine wine packages and we may purchase one. I assume we can get details once we embark and then make our decision. As to bringing your own wine, if there is a special bottle we want to open we might, but otherwise it is probably not worth the effort of flying the wines overseas, although we have done so in the past before Regent was all inclusive. If we bring our own bottle, is there a corkage charge?

No corkage charge. Indeed, the sommelier will likely treat you as someone extra special. He/she will take loving care of your bottle. Of course, there is nothing wrong with offering a pour for him/her.

Clou:

If you really appreciate fine wine, you may wish to consider purchasing one of the wine upgrade packages. They are an excellent value and if our experience on the Legend is typical, you will get special attention from the sommelier. We also brought a few bottles of very special wine with us, and were treated extremely well (they brought out the best stemware for our wines.)

Steve

I am intrigued - what are the features of the wine upgrade package?

We did the wine package on our last Seabourn cruise and found it to be great fun -- we developed a wonderful relationship with the sommelier and tasted some wonderful wines.We will probably do the same on our upcoming trip!(And on our last two trips they served Monopole, which we found perfectly acceptable, though on one night we ordered a grand bottle of champagne which was served with flourish).Enjoy!!!

BTW, One of my favorite Seabourn stories involves the "open bar" policy. Since I have no desire to get tipsy, I always try to keep track of how much the waiters pour at dinner.(They are sneaky devils who keep refilling your glass when you are otherwise occupied.) One night as I "caught" my waiter refilling my glass and said I can't have that many glasses of wine.He replied,

" But madam, since your glass has never been empty no matter how many times I refill it you have only had one glass."

" But madam, since your glass has never been empty no matter how many times I refill it you have only had one glass."

Try explaining THAT rationale to the kind officer that stops you for swerving after just that ONE glass of wine! Good thing we leave the driving to the very capable Captain and Officers so we don't have to worry about driving home.

I have often joked that I try not to talk to the person on my left at dinner, because I swear that is when the waiters sneak up and pour from the right and you don't notice. :D They must take stealth classes before they can wait on customers.

CLOU, I think the champagne they served on my last cruise was Veuve Clicquot.

Regent does not have a wine package upgrade. You can buy wine at dinner off of the reserve list, instead of drinking what is generally being poured in the dining room, but you cannot buy the upgraded wines as a package. My husband and I usually did this a couple fo times each cruise. However, if you do not like what is being poured, you can ask if there is an alternative. For example, we do not drink much Chardonnay, but there was usually a basic sauvignon blanc or white Rhone blend that was available if we asked. The complimentary wines are not great, but you can usually find a palatable one on Regent. The champagne, however, as I recall, was not real champagne.

Matt,

Hey, you can borrow that line anytime! As Seabourngirl noted, only on Seabourn do you have to worry about the "Sneaky Waiters" pouring too much wine. Most open bar venues you seem to spend half your time trying to track down a waiter for a refill. And yet the ironic thing is I have only seem two obviuosly inebriated fellow passengers on Seabourn. Guest most passengers are able to exercise self control.

Archived