Dumb Question - cigarettes in Italy

We're leaving on our Mediterranean cruise Sunday. My daughter and her boyfriend are smokers (trying to quit but you know how it is!). They're trying to figure out if they should buy cigarettes to take with, or wait and buy them in Italy or on the ship. - Anyone know how prices compare?

Thanks for any info!

Are your daughter and her boyfriend particular about the brand of cigarette? They might not find their favourites in the Tabbachi in Italy or in the duty-free shop on the ship, so that's a consideration. I suspect ciggies will be cheaper on the ship.

Lisa

I think they will find the prices on the ship to be as good as anywhere. My nephew bought his limit on the Galaxy this spring. We shopped at the stores here in florida and at the duty free shops at the ports. The ship had the best prices.

A Marlboro in Italy is also not going to be the "smooth" smoke a Marlboro in the US is. Most European made versions of US brands are made with Turkish tobacco and are a bit rough to get used to smoking. They do cost a bit more than our even now high prices.

Airport duty free or on board the plane for US brands (true, often US brands sold in many European countries are made in Europe under liscence, just like a Bud or a Coke/Pepsi is, and will probably taste (?) different, and, cost more than European brands)...on board? Where were they made? No idea. It might be an experiment for them to do - also trying different brands to help wean them away from the habit! Menthol is not very popular and more limited in choice.

Archived