Any CPAP users out there?

stillabrownsfan

Maybe that's why DH isn't asked to take his CPAP out. He doesn't carry it as a separate "carry on". He has the case in his backpack with his books, games, candy, etc. His CPAP case is only large enough for the machine, long hose and mask.

We pack DH's in it's case in his wheeled carry on, he never carrys it seperately. But the moment the carry on goes through the scanner, it is pulled and we are called aside so they can open it, take it out, unpack it from it's case, and re-scan it (sometimes more than once). So, it can't be that. You just have been VERY lucky. LOL

The TSA people at our airport suggested that I put it in a big zip lock bag, so it will be protected from the stinky shoe germs and what ever was in the bin before you use it. They still will open the bag and swab the machine after it is x rayed. I was advised to politely ask them to use a new pair of gloves when they handle the machine, and they have been very good about it - but it still takes a loong time :(

We pack DH's in it's case in his wheeled carry on, he never carrys it seperately. But the moment the carry on goes through the scanner, it is pulled and we are called aside so they can open it, take it out, unpack it from it's case, and re-scan it (sometimes more than once). So, it can't be that. You just have been VERY lucky. LOL

Gosh I wonder if we are going to be jinxed now. Guess we will find out on the 4th when we fly to Copenhagen. It's a good thing that I always get us to the airport 2 hours before our flight.

This is yet (another!) one of those things that is changed and/or inconsistent.

Nice thing is- the CPAP is not counted as a "carry on" since it's a medical device. And he always puts reading material or whatever in the case to just get a little more free space! Some payback for the hassle.

It depends on the airlines. If its a American carrier, I agree. Remember is the Americans with Disabilities Act. Other airlines do not necessarily go along with that. Nor do all the airports. I think someone said Heathrow only allows one item - period. I was told by Air Canada on several occasions that I was not allowed an extra carry on for medical devices and that it would have to fit inside my regular carry on.

First of all - bring a power strip and extension cord. Plugs are limited in the cabins (regular ones anyway, don't know about the suites).

Second - distilled water - yes - you can get it. You need to get the fax number (you can get this on the CP passenger special requests diet area in a pop-up window) an request the distilled water in a letter you need to fax to them. I usually get a very quick reply in the form of an email with a confirmation number. I then print this out and bring it on the ship with me. I give it to the room steward, and they have always brought it to me no problems. The conformation letter may mention that they will charge you fair supermarket price, but we have not gotten charged yet.

We did not fax any medical form to the medical department. We feel that they don't need to know about this. To get the distilled water, all we had to do was go through the dietary cooridnator. As for the tap - yes it is very pure and distilled through desalination, they still add chlorine to it to keep the lines sanitary, just like the tap water from home, so I prefer not to use it. I do drink the tap water though.

We have always had to take it out of the carry case in the security line and out it in a bin to be x-rayed, just like a lap top. They often also swab it for explosives. We have had no problem at all in the airport, and no problem at all with the extra carry on. No one has evenr said anything to us that we had an extra bag each (DH and I are both on cpap).

Thanks I know I am being silly. I think it is because I am still in denial about having to use it and/or having any "medical condition" in general. I feel perfectly healthy (even before CPAP) and don't like the feeling of sending a medical notice when I am fine. See....denial.

I know how you feel, I am just now "coming to reality" about mine and it's been 7 years. I hate traveling with it just because of the TSA hassle, and I travel alot. Recently I took it out for inspection, and a younger man next to me was giving it a very curious lookover when I went to repack it. Made me feel uncomfortable.

We took our 1st big ship 3 day cruise out of LAX in May, and I brought it along, but forgot the extension cord. It is a must! Luckily my cabin steward was able to aquire one for me.

I don't use water in mine, although it has the option, and usually try to hide it somewhat when it's not in use during the day.

Archived