Carnival Spirit Reviews of Mexican Riviera Ports

bbiggar

I just went on the Carnival Spirit 10/16-24. It was awesome! The Cruise Director, Todd is great! The assitants he has on there are Darci, Shannon, Erin and Tina. They are all so full of energy, super friendly and a blast to be around.

I didnt want to get off the ship! Shannon was really cool!

Acapulco we rented a van and drove around and went to the Princess Hotel and many other places. The Princess Hotel is gorgeous! A lot of famous people have stayed there. We want to go back to Acapulco and stay there. Here's the link for the hotel that I got from Roberto at the Acapulco Port Authority... www.fairmont.com Click on Acapulco. We got some good souvenier items at the Port Store right there!

Manzanillo we drove to see Las Hadas but didnt stay on the property. We ended up going to the beach and just shopping. So no tips on what to do there.

Have a blast and tell the CD and the assitants that Noah and Julie said hello!

what about daddy???????????

shannon was/is a guy...........

also, they won't remember who you are, people come and go!

what about daddy???????????

shannon was/is a guy...........

also, they won't remember who you are, people come and go!

thanks for the insight klfhngr, like i didnt know that. it was a joke! chill out!

Here is my promised part 2, my opinion of our SPIRIT Cruise Director, Todd Wittmer. (He's really a nice guy). This is a copy of a post to another thread.

Just cruised the SPIRIT with Todd Wittmer. He is good, but he totally oversold every shore excursion, every event and every item onboard. My wife liked him (he's handsome-kinda Barry Manilow with a metro-sexual look and a smaller nose) and he's single (which he reminds us of all the time). The ladies find him hot.

I'm finding that I want to take him and 50 of his closest family and friends and pack them in a bus designed for 40 (with bad air conditioning). Then I'll drive them around town and take them to my brother's jewerly store where the prices are 200% higher than the most reasonable person would pay. I'll promise them drinks and give them watered down Tang without ice. Then I'll arrange for 50 Hari Krishna's to greet them as they crawl out of the bus and try to sell them relioious books or some other thing don't want or need. Every time they retreat to the bus I will have every TV monitor set to play continuous replays of the talent show that I hosted or the shore excursion talk that I gave. Then, I will tell them about the 10 silliest questions ever asked on my bus, saying that some of the questions were actually asked OF ME. And as I read them, I will occasionally feign uncontrollable laughter and hold my sides as I see how much I must be cracking them up. I will then remind them that all purchases made at my brother's jewelry store are absolutely backed unconditionally, 100% by the world's largest BUS Line.

Actually, I'm having fun at Todd's expense. He wasn't bad. I saw too much of him on TV but is that a knock on him or a knock on me for watching that much TV on the cruise? But be prepared for the "company line" and he get's occasionally sappy when talking about loving your fellow man and what a wonderful world it would be if we all got along, a la Rodney King.

A VERY good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your cruise director Todd Wittmer asking everyone to come to the Lido deck so we can all hold hands and sing Cumbayah.......

Goofballs-Thanks for all the great information. We will be sailing on the Spirit in March of 05 and was very interested in hearing other cruiser's experience's with the ship and these ports. We were looking at doing the cliff-divers in Acapulco also, thanks for the tip, we will not take the tour bus. What did you do in the other port?

Goofballs: I sooooooo agree that the cruise directors oversell everthing on Carnival cruises. I guarantee your CD Todd is just like every other CD...They have acted the same way on every cruise... but, I guess, that's their job. I personally could care less who the CD is and I would rather not even hear them...especially in the AM making announcments no one understands.

We also just got back from the 10/16 Spirit and just a word of caution to any of you who are anticipating playing golf with the pro from the ship. BEWARE!!

The 3 guys in our party decided to play golf in Manzanillo and tried from the start of the cruise until we reached Acapulco, to make cpntact with the pro. He could never be found. Finally, they booked golf and the morning we docked, they went down to their meeting place and were given a long list of why they shouln't play. Too hot, 2 hour taxi drive away, more money because they would need cabs, etc. All the men knew the weather and although it was hot and humid, had they played at the arranged time, early morning, they would have been through before it was too hot. Anyway, the golf course was a 15 minute drive, looked in great shape, so if you lug your clubs all the way down there to play golf, don't give up because the pro isn't up to the task. I think he just made major mistakes and didn't want to go himself.

Pam

Will try to keep this post shorter. I have the entire shore excursions brochure for the Mexican Riveria (Acapulco/Ixtapa/Manzanillo) and will make it available to someone who can find a way to post it or distribute it. I'd rather just send it once to someone technically savvy who can find a way to let any interested party see it. I don't have the know-how. I'd rather not have to send it out 100 times.

Day two in Acapulco found us on the pier at 10:00 am for the advertised City Sightseeing/Cliff Diving excursion ($39.00). On to another bus with a guide named Jorge. We went down the main street just three or four blocks from the terminal to the city center where we stopped at a high pressure jewerly shop. Here we were introduced to high priced silver. We actually found silver cheaper on the ship! After 30 minutes at this one shop we resumed driving down the main drag in Acapulco. The main street in Acapulco runs along the waterfront from "old Acapulco", known as "Acapulco Traditional," to the newer portion of Acapulco, known as "Golden Acapulco." (You will know the dividing line because ALL of the high rise hotels are in the Gold section). As you cruise down to the Gold section you learn of the development of Acapulco from 27,000 people to 2 million (or 3.7 million according to the other guide). You then continue through the Gold area, continuing along the highway to the area known as Las Brisas. This is where all the high priced homes are. There is a large cross on the hill overlooking the bay. This is the Chapel of Peace and there is a story about how it came about. We stopped at an overlook over a Senior Frogs and took pictures and had another opportunity to shop for silver jewelry. Then we moved on view another bay right next to Acapulco Bay. The driver told us how the development was moving this way, citing many of the hotels that are moving in. Though underdeveloped now, it looks like this will be a hot spot of 5 years. We then went back to the old section and went to a daytime cliff diving exhibition. The daytime show is supposed to be at 1:00 but it was around noon. I don't know if they added another show just for us, but we watched that from the viewing platforms taht are along the stairway down to the water. There are many places to view the diving from and most of them offer a very good view. There really aren't and bad areas to view from, just some are better. We bypassed the restaurant and jewelry store that we were herded through the previous evening and got back on the bus. We headed back to the ship, but not before dropping off some people in the city center (across from the bow on the ship a few blocks). We got off the bus with a few others. Unfortunately they dropped in back in front of the high-pressure jewelry store. A man named Juan Carlos, who attached himself to us on our earlier excursion, again latched unto us to try to sell us jewelry. He offered us a Hearts on Fire (brand name) 1/3 carat diamond for $13,000. I'm not kidding--that's thirteen thousand US dollars. I could get that same diamond in Sacramento for $2500. I must look real stupid. Anyway, we blew by his store and walked into what looked like the heart of the city. He followed for a block then he faded away. We were now totally on our own. We looked through the regular stores and shopped just like a native. We know no Spanish but got along fine. We found SpongeBob shirts for our kids for $3.99 US. (The SpongeBob Graphic is the same but the writing is in Spanish, i.e. Bob Esponja - Ripon mi pantelones. Translation-Sponge Bob ripped his pants. There were others). The merchants were all smiles. I bought a LA times on a newsstand. we ask some lady where the mercado de ropa was (market for clothes). We followed her and she took us to the market for fresh food. That was nice. Then we found a little hole in the wall taco restaurant and bought 5 tacos for 15 pesos (about $1.50 US). It was great and no, we didn't get sick. We never do). then after a little more shopping we hailed a cab, which is about every third car. I waved 2 $US dollars and said "cruisero". He snatched the bucks and motiuoned to get in. We did and vamoosed the five minutes to the port. Some little kids scrambled to open our cab door and immediately asked us for "US dollar." They received a thank you instead.

Overall we felt the cruise was less than we expected. Their promise of shopping opportunity was actually a stop at a jewelry store they seem to be connected to. Other than that, we spent way too much time on a bus with a poor sound system and poor air conditioning. The best part of our trip was when we left the organized shore excursion and struc out on our own.

What would I do different? I would walk off the ship to the terminal building. I would exit the building to the left. Walk approximately two to three blocks until you see the harbor an your left and the city center on your right. The city center has cafes, restaurants, sidewalk stands, stores of all kinds. Start shopping. It's safe, you can see the ship from there. Tourism is their main industry--they go out of their way to protect the tourism industry. You will see police and soldiers patrolling the street. If you get bored and want to see the cliff divers, hail a taxi and say "La Cabrera next show??" Point to your watch. They probably speak English anyway. They will take you there for $5 bucks US.

Enjoy Acapulco. It's fun, it's safe and it's rather compact. Personally I would use my feet and a taxi to see it, but you have to do what's comfortable for you.

Goofballs or lvrgrl.,... how is the Cliff Divers after dark. Are you able to see them well enough? We are going 11 Dec and still haven't made up our minds on how we want to see the divers, from the restaurant, from a boat or what. I hate making these decisions, just know I will pick the wrong way to do something, lol. that is why I come to these boards for all of ya'll's help. Thank you.

I was there also, can see them nice and clear at night... not a problem..

This is the record of my third and final shore excursion, all purchased onboard.

They make purchasing excursions onboard easy. You go to a shore excursion talk on sea day #2 given by Todd. They pump up the tours and then allow you to easily order them via your room TV and remote. We ordered three in one setting: The Night Cliff Divers tour, the Acapulco Sightseeing/Shopping and Day Cliff Divers tour, and the third tour was a City Shopping/Beach tour in Manzillo.

Day three found us in Manzanillo. This is a small city with a real industrial flavor. Since cruise ships have only recently found this port (45 ships last year, 105 this year) they are still gearing up for the tour industry. We docked at the port where container ships are loaded.

Manzanillo has a couple auto plants, a silver mine, and a lot of other lighter industry. As such it is a little dinghy but there are jobs. That translates into fewer people begging, etc..but there are still the street peddlers who will try to sell you things for very high prices.

The bus tour took us into the town center to show us where the cruise ship port will someday be. It a quaint area, looks like fun to walk around but I couldn’t, I paid to be on a bus. They showed us a 35 foot blue statue of a sail fish which will be the focal point of the new cruise ship port. The driver said they have plans to paint the multi- colored homes that cling to the hills surrounding the city center all the same color white. That will look nice.

We then headed down the coastal road I understand runs from the Calif/Mexico border down to Acapulco. As we left town with the ocean on one side and the hills in the other we learned of the history of Manzanillo. We learned that you can eat the green iguanas but not the black ones. The black ones are dirty, eating trash or anything else, but the green ones eat only vegetation. The driver said iguana tastes like, what else, chicken. He said if any of us had chicken tacos we may have already sampled the iguana. I think he was serious. Some people groaned and held their stomach.

We then turned off the main road on Santiago point, maybe 5 to 10 miles away from town. There is a resort called Las Hadas at the end of the point. It’s very exclusive, Sylvester Stallone, Julio Inglesies (sp?) and lots of Mexican movie stars live here. Bo Derek filmed “10” here. They show you a bay on either side of the point. We then get back on the bus and go down for our shopping and beach time.

Shopping consisted of stopping at a place on the beach, much like a long tent with about eight stalls on either side of the aisle. The floors are sand and they have traditional street side items--shirts, blankets, hats, pottery, glassware and of course—silver. We stayed there for 20 minutes and bought some very colorful hand-painted salsa bowls for $3 US each. Probably paid too much but was last shopping opportunity.

The “resort” we were to go to is on the coast highway back toward town. It’s a small bar/restaurant that looks to be a spring break type of place. There is a swing hanging from the ceiling that patrons can swing in, meals ranging for $8 US to about $15 US (a little expensive, I thought). Attached is a small thatched covered patio with foosball and a pool table. Most of us got a table, had a meal, and went out the front door which drops you right onto the beach.

Watch out. The waves knocked me over more than once and I’m 6’ and 200 lbs. They were STRONG. And there was undertow. Just about then I remembered they had a small pool (about 14 by 20) in a very small courtyard attached to the restaurant. I went back to the restaurant and showered in the outdoor shower and then jumped in the pool—along with 15 or 20 others. It made the trip. After that hot sandy tumble in the ocean the cool pool was perfect. Many lounged around the pool drinking one of the two free drinks that were apart of the $40 tour price. (Beer, soda and water only for the free drinks. Mixed drinks could be purchased or use both tickets for a mixed drink).

By then our time was drawing to a close, so we boarded the bus for the trip back.

What would I do different? You have many options. My wife and I paid $80 total for this. Our friends hailed a taxi at the terminal and asked the cabbie to take them to a resort where they could spend the day. The cabbie took them to Las Hadas (remember Bo Derek) and he paid the resort $25 US for his family of 4 to have day use. He used their pool, their showers, their beach, their restaurant and anything else they wanted – for $25 US for all four. My wife and I paid $80 for a bus trip, a sand beach shopping experience and a spring break “resort” that was nothing. Others told of taking cabs to other hotels or resorts, but I understand there are only a very few that do this, so get a cabbie that know of one ahead of time. You might also contact Las Hadas to see if you can arrange day use ahead of time. I got the impression my friend just slipped $25 to the right person who slid him in.

Anyway, that’s my third and final excursion. I will try to get the shore excursion brochure online when someone who has the technical ability to do it contacts me. Any takers?? Goofballs@usa.com

i was on the 10-16 spirit cruise also

actually at las hadas you pay 25.00 per person

but what they do is convert that into coupons worth 25.00 to spend either for beach umbrellas or for the bar or restaurant in other words as long as you spend 25.00 there you can use the resort for the day

Goofballs

We will be on the Spirit MONDAY (Finally) T H A N K Y O u for your review.

I am looking forward to the ship expereince.

On the Spirit is there a place late at night that has table and chairs on a outside deck. Where I can drink a cup of hot Chocolate? Is hot chocolate available late at night by the coffee station?

Is the buffet open most of the time? By this I mean I have been on cruise shio that when it time to clean the buffet area, the entire buffet room is closed. I have been on other cruise ship where one half the buffet line is open while the other side is closed. Which one of these is the closet to the Spirit buffet line?

Where would you suggest is the best place for future cc cruise to meet on the ship?

Where should one go to get the most out of the sailaway? It sets the mood of the cruise for me. What time should we be on that deck? front or back of the boat. I always seem some how to miss where the action is at the sail away, after where I hear about the sail away, Spirit sails at 4 pm Monday,

Which port is the best place to buy those inexpensive sounivers for my co workers.

Thank s again for your review

prg909: Thanks for the Las Hadas info. I was told $25.00 got him, wife and two kids in, but he didn't mention any tickets/vouchers in return. Either way, getting to enjoy Las Hadas for $25 is a good deal from what I saw and heard. If you actually went to Las Hadas, or anyone who has, please comment on how you liked it and if you would recommend it.

arcone: To answer your question, hot choc. is available 24/7 at the dispenser right next to the coffee machine. Just put about 3/4 inch of that fresh cream in the cup first and dispense the hot choc. right on top. What a wonderful cup of chocolate it makes. We had a lot of it.

Buffet remains open 24/7. There are times when they close one station to clean, but there is always at least one station open, plus the dessert station, plus the pizza station is 24/7 also. You will never be without food opportunity on the LIDO deck (#9). Also, try the smoked salmon and the shrimp sandwich on a croissant from room service.

As for where you cruisers can initially meet onboard, I'd probably recommend Club Cool on Deck 3. It's easily located, has a bar for those who want a drink and is just above the fountain cafe (stairs are RIGHT there) for those who would rather buy a Starbuck's coffee). it's small and won't have lots of activity during the day. The backup plan, in case a Bingo games breaks out in Club Cool could be the plush leather seating area across from Fountain Cafe on Deck 2, just a few stairs down from Club Cool.

I must admit I was in my cabin at sailaway each time so could not advise on a good place to be. I would guess the fantail pool area on Deck 9 would be a nice spot. There is seating, a bar, Lido deck food nearby if hungry and refuge if it's too windy.

About the inexpensive souvniers, it's hard to say not knowing what excursions you might do. Also, we didn't stop at Ixtapa/Z-nejo. I know there were numerous street vendors and small shops at most of the areas we went. And the port terminal at Acapulco had a dozen or so shops. Lots of pricey stuff but I saw a few places with cheaper stuff. Manzanillo has no port terminal building to shop in and the ship is two blocks in from the guard shack, so no vendors hanging around the gangway for last minute deals.

JayS: You asked "Can you do anything by walking from the ship?" The question is not a lot, BUT, upon departure a number of us saw the nicest little crescent shaped beach just around the corner from the ship. It was a typical tropical beach, with a thatched roof cabana and what appearred to be beach furniture. The beach was probably only a few blocks long and was in a secluded coved area off to the side of the harbor. It would be an easy walk from the ship--5 to 10 minutes max. And most of that time would be through the container port.

If you want to walk there just stay along the water line and walk through the guard shack entrance to the port. Stay straight ahead approximately one block and you will run into the beach. You will be walking along a stone breakwall as you walk past the guard shack. The beach is at the end of the stone breakwall to your left. If anyone from the 10/16 sailing or the 10/24 sailing tried this beach, please comment on it. There is also a small street there with a liquir store that will allow you to buy cold crinks either for the beach (though they may sell drinks on the beach) or to take a six pack of coke back to the room.

Goofballs, I was on the beach you saw, it was an easy walk from the ship and it was a nice beach. We talked about hanging out there but ended up taking a taxi to a different hotel/beach area. Do you remember the jetty we sailed by on the way out of the harbor, with all the people waving? There is a ton of hotels lined up on the other side of that jetty on a beautiful beach. The water was clean and warm and the surf wasn't too bad. We floated in the water there for hours and had lunch at the hotel we were in front of. We had great tortilla soup and other stuff. The only other people on this beach were a few locals and two other couples from the ship. We couldn't for the life of us figure out where everyone else was. This place is great and if you walk up to the jetty and stand there, you can see the ship. If we didn't have bags, we could have swam to the ship. The taxi fare out there was $5 for two of us. I'm seriously thinking of booking a hotel on that beach and staying a week or two. The beach is several miles long with too many hotels to count, the hotel we were at said we could also use there very nice pool because we had had drinks and lunch. So for approx $10, we had a great time. Oh, I forgot the cover-up I bought from the one vender who showed up, wondering also, where everyone else was. Chud

klfhngr,

Did you see the beach I referred to when we were leaving Manzanillo? Did you know anyone who went there? What did you do in Manzanillo?

went shopping and to a secluded beach about 40 minutes away... did banana boots, ate shrimp and drank.... lots of shopping tho and driving..... wasn't it humid!!! not sure about the beach, but i did film the entire area as we left... i haven't seen video yet, probably will this weekend with friends... i ll post any good photos at a later time..

Goofballs, I was on the beach you saw, it was an easy walk from the ship and it was a nice beach. We talked about hanging out there but ended up taking a taxi to a different hotel/beach area. Do you remember the jetty we sailed by on the way out of the harbor, with all the people waving? There is a ton of hotels lined up on the other side of that jetty on a beautiful beach. The water was clean and warm and the surf wasn't too bad. We floated in the water there for hours and had lunch at the hotel we were in front of. We had great tortilla soup and other stuff. The only other people on this beach were a few locals and two other couples from the ship. We couldn't for the life of us figure out where everyone else was. This place is great and if you walk up to the jetty and stand there, you can see the ship. If we didn't have bags, we could have swam to the ship. The taxi fare out there was $5 for two of us. I'm seriously thinking of booking a hotel on that beach and staying a week or two. The beach is several miles long with too many hotels to count, the hotel we were at said we could also use there very nice pool because we had had drinks and lunch. So for approx $10, we had a great time. Oh, I forgot the cover-up I bought from the one vender who showed up, wondering also, where everyone else was. Chud

I was wondering the same dang thing! WHERE IS EVERYONE!!!!!! We too saw two other groups from ship and that was IT!

If I cruised today that would be my first stop upon leaving the ship in Manzanillo.

The reason we weren't there was two-fold. First, we didn't know about it. I never saw any mention of it on this or any board, and no one on the ship mentioned it. However, I feel like the secret is out and future cruisers will benefit from it. And second, we had already booked the Shopping and Beach Excursion so that's likely where we would have ended up even if we found the beach.

But future cruisers, you might want to consider this beach. Depending on the level of excitement you want, this may be your spot. Chudley was there so she knows what it was like, I don't, but from what I saw as we were sailing away it looked serene and peaceful with water suitable for enjoying.

I spoke with the blonde girl who runs the supper club (Liszel, I think). She is very nice. She said that her and a few from the supper club noticed the beach as we were leaving and they intend to walk there on the next Manzanillo.

I just checked and I have a great photo leaving Manzanillo, showing a little bit of the beach on the right side of the photo and the container dock on the left side. I can scan it to a .gif or .tif file but does anyone know how I can make it available?? Goofballs@usa.com

Archived