Accident onboard

tranquility

Yes, I took a spill several years ago on Princess. They pretty much treated me the same as your husband. Never got a call to check on my status. I was pretty bruised and probably could have sued but did not do that.

Good Luck!

I passed out for reasons on know on QM2 and had to have stitches on the bridge of my nose and beside my eye. I had a black eye which I had never had one before. We still enjoyed our cruise even though I wore sunglasses almost the entire cruise. I had to answer all these questions by security the following day and also had to return by to the infirmary the next day. I could not have asked for better medical care and also had no problems getting an itemized bill to turn into my insurance co. Glad that your hushband was not hurt and you enjoyed your cruise.

• Administrators
I have been talking with someone who was on a Carnival Cruise and someone from behind her punched an elbow into her shoulder and dislocated it. She got the money from the insurance and 4 (FOUR) free cruise vouchers from Carnival over it. I am surprised that no one has called you, maybe the nurse did not report it to corporate.

If that "someone" who punched an elbow into her shoulder wasn't an employee of Carnival I smell a rat with the story from the person you've been chatting with. "Dear Carnival, I was in line for your buffet and some very hungry, mean fellow passenger hit me and dislocated my shoulder. My insurance paid my expenses, but can I please have four free cruise vouchers?" Do you REALLY think that if the story were as you report Carnival would have replied "Dear former passenger, Sure! Here you go!"

If that "someone" who punched an elbow into her shoulder wasn't an employee of Carnival I smell a rat with the story from the person you've been chatting with. "Dear Carnival, I was in line for your buffet and some very hungry, mean fellow passenger hit me and dislocated my shoulder. My insurance paid my expenses, but can I please have four free cruise vouchers?" Do you REALLY think that if the story were as you report Carnival would have replied "Dear former passenger, Sure! Here you go!"

I can't afford to cruise more than once a year. Perhaps I should start picking fights with random surly-looking passengers.

:D

My mom had an accident on the last night of their cruise in 2002. They were in the main dining room and the ocean was a little rough. The waiter carrying the dinners on a tray tripped and all the plates, etc fell on her back. They took her to the infirmary and gave her some aspirin and said she would be ok. They went back to their room and the matre di came to check on her and wanted her to come back to the dining room. She declined. By the time she got home the pain had gotten worse and ended up going to the emergency room with a bruised back. They contacted Carnival and they said sorry. With no trip insurance, they could do nothing. They did offer 10% off their next cruise.

ALL ER's are required by law to call within 24 hours of patients being seen to make sure that they have not gotten worse. I know about this because that was my job for over 15 years. It is not the doc's to call but one RN and that is her job alone. She gets the charts from the day before and is suppose to call every patient. So if your hospital is not doing it, I would find out why.

Certainly not the case in Illinois and Wisconsin. I was in an ER in Green Bay over Christmas, and I was given clear instructions to see my doctor when I got back to Chicago (which I did, and all was good), but they didn't call to see how I was doing. Over the past 3 years, I've been to several different ERs in the Chicago area (kidney stones, hit by a car on my bike when he ran a stop sign, pulmonary embolism), and none have called to follow up. Must be an Oregon law.

I personally think it's unreasonable to expect a follow-up call, especially over a minor fall. I know if I'm getting better/worse, and if I get worse, I need to go back to the doctor. However, maybe the OP is from a state with a such a mandate for ER follow-up calls, which is why she expected a call from Carnival.

I had an accident on a Carnival excursion on the Victory. I twisted my elbow pretty badly. The ship was great to me. They x-rayed my arm and it was sprained (thank goodness) not broken. It put a damper on a few days of the trip as I had to wear a sling and was in some pain, but they were wonderful to me and because I was on a Carnival excursion all medical treatment was provided at no cost. That would never stop me from cruising Carnival again.

Certainly not the case in Illinois and Wisconsin. I was in an ER in Green Bay over Christmas, and I was given clear instructions to see my doctor when I got back to Chicago (which I did, and all was good), but they didn't call to see how I was doing. Over the past 3 years, I've been to several different ERs in the Chicago area (kidney stones, hit by a car on my bike when he ran a stop sign, pulmonary embolism), and none have called to follow up. Must be an Oregon law.

I personally think it's unreasonable to expect a follow-up call, especially over a minor fall. I know if I'm getting better/worse, and if I get worse, I need to go back to the doctor. However, maybe the OP is from a state with a such a mandate for ER follow-up calls, which is why she expected a call from Carnival.

I'm certainly no lawyer, but I wouldn't assume a CCL vessel would necessarily be subject to the same state-mandated practices that apply to land-based hospitals.

ALL ER's are required by law to call within 24 hours of patients being seen to make sure that they have not gotten worse. I know about this because that was my job for over 15 years. It is not the doc's to call but one RN and that is her job alone. She gets the charts from the day before and is suppose to call every patient. So if your hospital is not doing it, I would find out why.

I suspect that was the very prudent policy of the particular hospital you worked for. I am sure it helped ER patients follow through and provided the feeling of better care and perhaps actually lead to better care. But law, if it is one in Oregon I can't find it, and it certainly isn't one here in Texas.

Originally Posted by Chacooe viewpost.gif

Not sure if it's a law but it is certainly done in many places-ER's and hospitals on day after discharge, dentists offices after extractions, surgicenters, and endoscopic centers. It is a sound principle and allows a patient the chance to ask a question they hadn't thought of the day before-one that might be significant to the healing process, or prevent complications. If your local place doesn't do it-suggest.

Not sure if it's a law but it is certainly done in many places-ER's and hospitals on day after discharge, dentists offices after extractions, surgicenters, and endoscopic centers. It is a sound principle and allows a patient the chance to ask a question they hadn't thought of the day before-one that might be significant to the healing process, or prevent complications. If your local place doesn't do it-suggest.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but if I have a question, it's pretty asinine for me to sit around waiting for the doctor to call me instead of picking up the phone to call the doctor!

We just got back two weeks ago from the Triumph. We had a blast. However, on the final morning, my husband fell down the stairs in the dining room. We requested medical check him out and he was taken to the nurse. Her assessment after just looking at him was that he would be bruised and sore but okay. When I requested a copy of the paperwork, just in case he required medical treatment when we got home, she had to clear it through security. She said she was sure he would be okay without further treatment. Security came and after many forms were completed, he was released with Ibuprophin (sp?) and we left the ship. We never had a thought of a lawsuit, although I am sure that is their fear, but we really thought we would at least get a call or e-mail checking on him after we got home. Has anyone else had an accident onboard and did they get any follow up? We love cruising but may try another line next time.

My guess is that the reason that no call has been made is two fold. First the incident in carnival's mind was very minor and did not rate any further followup and secondly because of the nature of the paperwork the call would have come out of Miami and the paperwork is probably dragging its feet getting there and being reviewed.

I think that I would be more surprised if there were follow up than if there were not follow up.

I agree with what the OP is saying. Say they were not on a cruise ship, but a store in a mall? Somewhere a doctor is not available and had to go seek treatment elsewhere should they not follow up because no doctor was there? I know that where I work if someone trips, or loses their own balance we still fill out a form stating what happens and have always called them after the fact to ensure they are ok-even when nothing was our fault.

Well, at a mall or at your workplace, statistically speaking, there are fewer people who may have an accident. Look at it this way:

Carnival has 88 ships, 160,000 berths. If all lowers are filled, that is 160,000 passengers a week that are cruising worldwide. If only 1% of these passengers are injured, that's 1600 people every week. Now, how in the world would they accomplish a phone call or follow up for each and every one of them?...and......know what each and every injury was..to be able to speak with the passenger about his/her own condition.

It's unrealistic.

I'm sure for serious injuries or life-threatening situations, Carnival's legal department keeps track....but for a trip down the stairs with no injuries there is really no need for it.

Now, THAT's funny. Maybe in Medford, Oregon this might happen.

In a major hospital in an urban area where the ER might see a coupla thousand people a day, that won't happen. The ER personnel will advise to contact your personal physician and the physician can, if he/she wants, call the hospital and get a copy of the ER records. I live near several major hospitals in the NY,PA,NJ,DC area and I can tell you, this is not required nor does it happen.

Now' date=' THAT's funny. Maybe in Medford, Oregon this might happen.

In a major hospital in an urban area where the ER might see a coupla thousand people a day, that won't happen. The ER personnel will advise to contact your personal physician and the physician can, if he/she wants, call the hospital and get a copy of the ER records. I live near several major hospitals in the NY,PA,NJ,DC area and I can tell you, this is not required nor does it happen.[/quote']

A couple of thousand a day!? Wow, that would be 83 and 1/2 people every hour. I am not familar with anything like that, except of course, what we see on TV. Ha!, and they can't handle 83 people in one hour. Of course, I'm not saying this isn't true, as I have no idea, except for in Washington, I am just commenting on the high number. Here in Washington, unless admitted to the ER, they have called. But, I don't know if it is a requirement. IMHO, I wouldn't expect Carnival to do a follow-up unless there was a serious inury.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but if I have a question, it's pretty asinine for me to sit around waiting for the doctor to call me instead of picking up the phone to call the doctor!

Did I miss the part where the poster said you should wait for the doctor

to call if you have a problem? :rolleyes:

A couple of thousand a day!? Wow, that would be 83 and 1/2 people every hour. I am not familar with anything like that, except of course, what we see on TV. Ha!, and they can't handle 83 people in one hour. Of course, I'm not saying this isn't true, as I have no idea, except for in Washington, I am just commenting on the high number. Here in Washington, unless admitted to the ER, they have called. But, I don't know if it is a requirement. IMHO, I wouldn't expect Carnival to do a follow-up unless there was a serious inury.

OK, that number IS excessive, even in Los Angeles, but made me curious. I found an article (had time on my hands) on Yahoo News:

"Closing King/Drew, which treats about 2,100 patients every year, would shift the burden to nearby trauma centers, such as Long Beach Memorial, St. Mary and Harbor-UCLA Medical Center."

That only works out to 5-6 patients a day, which can't be right, either, since in this particular (terrible) hospital, smack in the middle of one of L.A's poorest neighborhoods, people died waiting to be seen.

This hospital ultimately DID close, BTW.

My elderly parents have been in and out of emergency rooms multiple times in the last few years (Dad is gone now) and I don't remember them ever getting a phone call afterwards, if they were treated and sent back home. And this is in a relatively small hospital in a town of 25,000. I'd think it would be very difficult in a big emergency room.

They have gotten calls after going home from actual hospital stays, surgery, or outpatient procedures or from their own physicians/nurses at times, which is always very comforting.

Archived