Passport requirements for 4-12-09

I have been reading the boards and it seems that a passport for a western carribean cruise out of Miami and return to the same port will not require a passport until 6-2009. Am I reading this correctly just a birth certificate required?

I have been reading the boards and it seems that a passport for a western carribean cruise out of Miami and return to the same port will not require a passport until 6-2009. Am I reading this correctly just a birth certificate required?

Passports are not required until June (at least), make sure you have a certified birth certificate and a photo id like a license

This is true BUT all cruise lines strongly recommned getting a passport.

There is no gurantee that you will be sailing back to the U.S.

For example you get an important message from home or work that you are needed and have to cut your cruise short flying back (will need a passport)

You get into or have an accident while in port and need to be seen by a doctor or go to a hospital and/or you are flown back for medical reason. You will be required to have a passport.

The rules are simple, until June 2009 you do not need a passport if your take a cruise leaving a U.S. port and returning by ship to a U.S. port but you may not be returning by ship.

It will make it so much easier. It is true that you will not be required to have a passport, but it doesn't mean that immigration will need to be nice to you, in fact they can easily make your life very difficult.

Just go ahead and get the passport and it will make your vacation that much smoother.

What you are describing is a closed loop cruise. The law provides an exception to the passport rules for this type of cruise. Currently there is no requirement that passports will be required for these type cruises at any time in the future. The June 2009 date has nothing to do with closed loop cruises.

The rule can be located here: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-6725.pdf

The discussion is on page 8 in the right hand column.

Archived