Fresh or Sea Water in Pools

Cruiser from Kansas

On a stormy day at sea, a passenger on the pool deck kept watching the swimming pool as the water sloshed out first from one side of the pool, then the other. After a while, the captain walked by, and the passenger asked him, "Is it fresh water or sea water in the swimming pool?" The captain answered immediately, "It's sea water. Didn't you notice how rough it is?"

Bada Bing!!! :D

On a stormy day at sea, a passenger on the pool deck kept watching the swimming pool as the water sloshed out first from one side of the pool, then the other. After a while, the captain walked by, and the passenger asked him, "Is it fresh water or sea water in the swimming pool?" The captain answered immediately, "It's sea water. Didn't you notice how rough it is?"

Bada Bing!!! :D

Cute!!

I had to laugh when reading a review the other day, someone was upset because she was told the pools would be freshwater but she said they weren't, they had chlorine in them! :p I guess maybe she was expecting bottled water with nothing to kill the bacteria.

I agree ... freshwater pools are one of the things we cite when we're talking about why we love to cruise on Princess.

I though this was the norm for cruise ships - we did our first cruise on DCL and they have fresh water pools too. So we thought this was normal. When we were on our 2nd cruise which was on Princess, we were shocked to find out from others that fresh water for the pools was not the norm on other cruise lines. I would hate to sit in salt residue all day in the sun, especially with long hair.

I though this was the norm for cruise ships - we did our first cruise on DCL and they have fresh water pools too. So we thought this was normal. When we were on our 2nd cruise which was on Princess, we were shocked to find out from others that fresh water for the pools was not the norm on other cruise lines. I would hate to sit in salt residue all day in the sun, especially with long hair.

In order to have fresh water pools the ship needs to be able to generate the fresh water. Older ships did not / do not have the desaltination capability or capacity so must us sea water.

The old Royal Princess had salt water pools as I remember.

I know it might not be much, but this is one of the reasons we sail Princess. Just LOVE the fresh water pools! Nothing's worse than jumping in after a hot day on land, and then getting that sticky salty feeling when you get out. I can remember when my son and DIL sailed on Carnival Glory for the first time. He wasn't expecting the salt water when he dove in.

In order to have fresh water pools the ship needs to be able to generate the fresh water. Older ships did not / do not have the desaltination capability or capacity so must us sea water.

The old Royal Princess had salt water pools as I remember.

Very interesting!

I hear that even some of the newer Carnival Ships have salt water pools too. I guess it is a matter of ease for them. All they have to do is turn over the salt water from the ocean every night.

I had to laugh when reading a review the other day, someone was upset because she was told the pools would be freshwater but she said they weren't, they had chlorine in them! :p I guess maybe she was expecting bottled water with nothing to kill the bacteria.

hahaha, do you remember which review that was?

Oh, now that is adorable. See, goes to show you that you can't make all the people happy all of the time. Some can always find something to complain about. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived