Trip Insurance and Pre-existing Conditions

trickey

When we made our deposit on a November cruise in March of 2008 our travel agent ask if either of us had any pre-existing conditions. We told her no, but my mother does and I would have to cancel our trip if any problems came up. (My mother is not traveling with us.) Our TA said to wait until we make our final payment before buying insurance. Now we are about to make our final payment and I'm discovering that pre-existing conditions apply to family members too. I've searched insuremytrip.com to try and find a policy without success. Does anyone know of a company that will insure our trip?

Thanks for your help!

Both CSA and HTH Worldwide have policies that will waive the pre-existing conditions exclusion for passengers and family members if purchased no later than 24 hours after final payment. Hope this helps.

Dave

I have a similar situation come up. We are going on a 13 day cruise in October. My wifes father could pass at any moment. In all fairness, he could have passed at any moment for the last five years. The guy is incredible, we call him the Energizer bunny.

A new issue has come up with his health and it is touch and go. Our TA advised us to take the X insurance when we booked because we could always change/cancel it if something else would better fit our situation. I called the X insurance people when this new situation came up with my father in law and talked to them about the Pre-existing conditions clause and they told me that only covered the people actually cruising, not extended family members that might cause you to cut a cruise short.

In short, we are covered.

I am sorry for all those that need to concern themselves with these issues but it is good to know that the policies do not seem to be trying to find a way out of covering you for things you would expect to be covered.

Best,

Bruce

As said above, both will cover pre-existing if purchased within 24 hours of final payment. I think this covers family as well as the actual travelers, but am not sure. It will be best to check the policy language for that information. The web site which will take your to various insurance policies is www.insuremytrip.com. I have bought HTH twice, but have not had a claim. I did check and found that the price is the same for policies purchased on insuremytrip or directly from the company.

I also found that CSA and HTH are under the same umbrella company. I telephoned one for information and shortly after telephoned the other. The same lady answered both calls. I was then told both are within one company.

I would advise, however, checking rates for both policies. The premium calculation is a little different, one to the other. You will want to check this for yourself. Other companies require purchase for the complete trip cost.

I was also told that one does not have to insure for the total trip cost to have pre-existing covered. This appears to be verified by the policy language. I generally buy less than full coverage because my insurance then covers costs until the short time before a cruise when the refund is zero. That is good enough for me.

Good luck.

Bob :cool:

Check Travel Guard. I believe they have policies that will allow pre-existing conditions.

If I remember correctly Travel Guard must be purchased at the time of deposit and not final payment.

Archived