Ostentatious of the Seas

m steve

Thank you so much for posting the pictures of the new Oasis of the Seas. As a fan of both Holland America & Royal Caribbean, I hope to sail aboard the Oasis of the Seas as just much as I hope to sail on the new Eurodam some day soon. The experience will be different, I'm sure, but both will be fun.

Happy Sailing to All :)

But to spend 7,10, however many days on board with 5000 other people ????? NO :)

I honestly don't think it would be any different than being onboard any of the larger ships sailing right now. There is more space and more amenities. Thus, the crowd should be spread across various venues, making the space available for each passenger about the same.

Still, that said, I don't think I'd enjoy sailing on her. It's just not my thing. But I can understand the attraction it may have for others.

Blue skies ...

--rita

While this is true, ships like this are educating people to think that cruising is the same as being at a huge land resort. My concern is that they will think of HAL as too boring with not enough to do.
That's not a concern to me at all. If they do, then there will be more room on HAL for me. :)

Seriously, though ... for the person who likes this sort of huge ship, HAL WILL be too boring with not enough to do.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oh yes ....from Fairfield County Connecticut no less (so technically my childrens nanny/housekeeper should be typing my posts , but she doesn't know any English *LOL*

Oh, so your one of them people..:rolleyes: ;)

What about the muster drill with all those paxs on one level?? Maybe they do it in two shifts??

Bulldog

We're looking at a RCI cruise for sometime in 2010 with my daughter and two grandsons. Not sure which ship we will pick.

I love HAL but I don't think it is a cruise line for children - not enough to do. My grandsons 14 and 11 would be bored out of their minds. :)

Vickie

Oh, so your one of them people..:rolleyes: ;)

What about the muster drill with all those paxs on one level?? Maybe they do it in two shifts??

Bulldog

*LOL*

Oh trust me I am not from THAT part of Fairfield County *LOL*. If I was I could definately afford to cruise more :)

We are almost neighbors.. I'm on the boarder of New Haven & Litchfield Counties..

Bulldog

HI Neighbor :)

Actually I am in Stratford .

Not exactly the land of Paul and Joanne , Martha Stewart , and Regis *LOL*

But its still Fairfield County (as my tax bills will prove :()

When the railroad train was first introduced to America, many claimed that God had never intended for man to travel as fast as 13 miles per hour. Many refused to get near a train.

When Art Auctions were first introduced on ships, I (and many others) claimed that this was ridiculous. Nobody in his right mind would take along an extra $100,000 to buy that junk while on a cruise. Now it happens on every cruise.

Remember when CNN started? We called it Chicken Noodle News. Everybody said it wouldn't last a year. Now we can't stop watching it.

Pay $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks? No sane person would do that - right?

When Ted Arison "invented" modern cruising with Carnival, many people thought he was nuts. Why would people pay good money to board a ship, sail in a circle to nowhere, and get off in the same port where they had boarded? It just didn't make any sense. All the "experts" predicted he would fail.

Now it's the mega-ships.

It seems that the only thing that doesn't change is Human Nature.........................

Did not say my criteria was size, IMO it's the ship is revolutionary in design.

Yes it certainly is, the interior courtyard with balconey rooms blends modern cruiseship design with old Spanish home/hotel.:)

Bulldog

I wouldn't want to be in the 2nd shift if the Capt. ever gave the 'abandon ship' command.:eek:

We live in S. Florida and sail from Ft. Lauderdale. I will NEVER book a cruise that sails the same day as Oasis - 5400 people on one ship! It will take hours to get into Port Everglades!

We have sailed on Voyager class ships - 3000 pax- and I will confess that the never seemed crowded and that tendering off the ships went smoothly. No problems there. We won't again. Royal Caribbean screwed us Royally in 2006 and they and lines they own will never get a penny of our money again.

The mother of all cruise ships;)

Exterior_Side_Profile_R.jpg

Ship_Profile_w_Name_R.jpg

Ship_Aft_profile_w_Aqua_Theater_R.jpg

If by "mother" you mean that this ship will spawn others like it, I sure hope not. Someone said you'd hardly know you were on a ship; and that's my impression, too. Went to great lengths to make the center area look like some kind of park. The question is why would ship builders go to such extremes to make their ships seem like land?? I hope I live long enough to see this insanity pass and people remember the delights of traveling by ship - a cruise. Relaxing, slow, with the focus being on what's unique about traveling on the sea.

That's not bad and a whole lot faster than L.A. to S.F. (8-9 hrs) or L.A. to Sacramento (7-8 hrs)

No, not bad at all. We cash in credit card points for the roundtrip and get a 10 or 15% discount with our auto club membership. There are also several local bus companies who do roundtrip to Manhattan every day for $60. You can't beat it. It can be a 5 hr drive on the bus and they depart from Manhattan at one time in one location.

Sorry for the ot.

If by "mother" you mean that this ship will spawn others like it, I sure hope not. .......................

Naw, just that at 220,000 tons and with 5,400 pax, she'll be the biggest cruise ship (mother) ever built until something bigger comes along

Even though at this stage of my life I wouldn't sail on a ship like this , I would have loved this as a kid, and if my kids were smaller I know they would love it too. So I am supposeing it will be a huge hit with families , which lets face it are what the cruise lines have been catering more and more to. Why? They're the future. Get the young parents parents and kids in love with cruiseing from the get go and you ahev them for life. Just make sure you have ships available to grow with them.

I don't see anything wrong with any line having a ship like this , just as long as they don't turn the whole fleet into a floating Disneyland.

Naw, just that at 220,000 tons and with 5,400 pax, she'll be the biggest cruise ship (mother) ever built until something bigger comes along

I just wonder how the small Caribbean port towns will handle this many pax along with the other ships and land vacationers etc.

However, If Shamu needs a vacation the Aquatheater pool may be the perfect place:)

Denise

Seriously, though ... for the person who likes this sort of huge ship, HAL WILL be too boring with not enough to do.
I come from a very different generation where growing up, we had no TV, just the radio, and you invented your own things to do. I was never, ever bored as a kid yet I was extremely active and was always able to find things to do. True, it's a different world now and you wouldn't dream of letting your 6 or 8YO just ride off on their bike on their own. My very first trans-Atlantic trip was as a teenager on a freighter to and from Europe in 1956. There was no entertainment, no radio or TV, nothing. Just books and the crew for over ten days each way. I explored the ship, read, chatted and played cards with the few other passengers, the officers had me "help" them take their noon sighting, looked at the stars (few lights onboard) and tried to identify the constellations, and watched shooting stars at night, and stood at the railing watching the waves. It was a fabulous experience. I guess I'm just waxing nostalgic for the days when life was simpler and people didn't need so much external stimulation to keep them happy. It's this last part that bothers me, i.e., people today seem to need that external stimulation to keep themselves occupied and not bored.

The interior looks like the Opryland Hotel, which, I believe, is always full. Both the hotel and this ship are, truly, an Oasis for some people. I cruise for for the feeling of being on the sea, but many do it to be "away" from their daily grind. We all have different needs and wants.

If I wanted to be on a ship woith 5000 other people I would be in the navy on an aircraft carrier. Its less of a carnival.:rolleyes:

LOL ... no you wouldn't. You watch that PBS series "Carrier?" LOL ... they work those kids to death, especially the enlisted ones.

They call it a cruise, but life on an aircraft carrier sure ain't anything like HAL, or even RCI. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with Pam, though I discovered cruising in the mid-1970s. Do you remember the beginning scenes of "The Black Stallion" movie? It was aboard a freighter in the 40s, and a young man is amusing himself while his father plays poker with some disreputable-looking passengers. Those scenes of the freighter steaming through the night are so wonderful. If the major cruise lines keep up this inside-looking, resort-style kind of ship experience, I may just look into a freighter, if they're still accepting passengers who have a life of the mind and don't need to be entertained all day and night.

Archived