Traveler's Checks?

new2cruse

:confused: We are going on our first cruise in Feb 2009. Is it best to have Travelers Checks to use out of country? We are going to Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, and Nassau. Thanks!

Traveler checks are probably not your best bet in ports. They are OK to take but cash them on the ship and take cash in the ports. All of these ports will accept U.S. Dollars.

We always take a few tc's with us and get them cashed onboard at the Purser's desk. I am a little leary of useing my credit cards out of country. I've seen several post about unauthorized purchases in Cozumel as well as some of the other ports. Like Vinnie said, most ports will take U S currency. I say most of them because we did find on little shop in Progreso that wanted pesos, but that is one time out of 7 cruises and 16 ports. It is best to take small bills because sometimes they give you change in local currency. I've got some Limparas if you need them.;)

My Opinion Only

If one wants to take tc's, then I agree with the above posters. Take them and cash them at the Pursers desk before going ashore.

Now, for my little soap box.

Not sure why one would take tc's especially when cruising. The number one reason people consider tc's is the ability to replace if lost or stolen.

If they are lost or stolen, where are you going to go to get them replaced? On the ship? No. At the next port of call? Maybe, if you want to spend all day trying to find a location and then all day filling out paperwork. IF the offices are even open.

If they are lost or stolen, the burden of proof is so heavily laden on the holder, that only a few percent of people can satidfy that burden of proof.

The solution that works best for my wife and I is that we evenly split what cash we are taking while in a travel status. If one of us gets hit, we still have 50% of our cash and we can work with that.

Once we get to our destination, we only carry what we need, the rest goes into the cabin or hotel safe.

I agree with the other posts. We took travelers cheques on the first cruise, but will only take cash/credit cards this time.

I make envelopes for each port of call, and place our itinerary and cash that will be needed for excursions, taxi fare, etc., in each envelope. On top of that, we carry a couple of hundred (just in case), but mostly use credit card for expenditures not originally accounted for.

I also carry another envelope with small bills for tips, porter, room service, etc :)

I love TC's, and use them for every cruise. The purser's office cashes them easily, and will happily give you small change if needed.

Case in point: in the Caribbean DH used a credit card to pay for a purchase, they (the store) charged for a foreign transaction, and conversion, when we got the bill our bank also charged us. If we had used cash from a TC it would have been cheaper, and a few minutes faster because we had to wait for the credit card to be approved.

I know TC's are old school, but I find them the most convient.

I love TC's, and use them for every cruise. The purser's office cashes them easily, and will happily give you small change if needed.

Case in point: in the Caribbean DH used a credit card to pay for a purchase, they (the store) charged for a foreign transaction, and conversion, when we got the bill our bank also charged us. If we had used cash from a TC it would have been cheaper, and a few minutes faster because we had to wait for the credit card to be approved.

I know TC's are old school, but I find them the most convient.

If you get a Capital One card, there will be none of those fees, what you charge is what you pay nothing more! I think that this is the only major issuer that absorbs the fees.

MAC

We always take a few tc's with us and get them cashed onboard at the Purser's desk. I am a little leary of useing my credit cards out of country. I've seen several post about unauthorized purchases in Cozumel as well as some of the other ports. Like Vinnie said, most ports will take U S currency. I say most of them because we did find on little shop in Progreso that wanted pesos, but that is one time out of 7 cruises and 16 ports. It is best to take small bills because sometimes they give you change in local currency. I've got some Limparas if you need them.;)

I wouldn't be leery of using a credit card out of the country, it is actually the safest way to go. With all credit cards you have zero fraud liability, so if the card is compromised, you are out nothing. A credit card doesn't carry enough information for identity theft. I wouldn't suggest using a Debit Card in a foreign port, if your account gets wiped out, it can cause a lot of stress until your bank fixes it, you could have checks and debits bouncing in the meantime.

With cash when it is gone it is gone, can't be replaced.

If you don't use a credit card for whatever reason, travelers checks are a good option.

MAC

Another option to travels checks is a debit card that you put cash on that has the visa, mastercard or Amex logo on it.

AAA offers such a thing as well as some banks. You can go online and order them and put as much cash on it as you wish.

This debit card is NOT connected to your bank account. Its pretty much a gift card with the Visa, MC or AMEX logo.

These will not work for shipboard use to fund your S & S card as the ship will try to pre authorize a certain amount each day and those cards are not connected to any bank.

Limit yourself to using them in port.

As far as cash you can keep it in your safe and only take out what you need in port each day.

Most ports accept U.S. Dollars.

I have been places that wont even touch a travelers check even though it is cash.

They have served their purpose in the past but as time marches on we leave some things behind. I think its time for Travelers Checks to go. :p

Archived