Buenos Aires Hotel & Dinner Recs

spindrift

We will be staying at the Marriott in Buenos Aires. Comments re the hotel and suggestions? Also, can someone suggest a nice place for dinner which also has a tango show? We arrive 12/31, so I would imagine New Year's would preclude our getting even an early dinner and show, but what about 1/1 or 1/2. We sail on the Oceania 1/3.

Stayed there in Feb 2004. The hotel is centrally located and not far from the Port. Florida Street shopping is just across the street. We used the Hotel’s concierge to organize airport transfer to the hotel, tango show, and opera tickets. We used Port Compass for 2 other local tours. In retrospect, I would have used the concierge for everything. The hotel stored our luggage when we went to the Falls. Standard rooms are OK, but breakfast is very pricey. Premium rooms (like those over looking the park) are spacious. Internet usage is charged by the minute and not the call (use local internet cafes for a fraction of the cost). During peak check-in and check-out times, the reception area WILL get congested and bell staff overwhelmed. This can result in delays checking-in and checking-out. (At check-out, it took over 45 minutes for our luggage to be brought downstairs.) For dinner, take a cab down to the river and walk around until you find one you like. Great food and better prices!

Candice,

Check at their website .. if you have a AAA card they give a discount off their rate which is from $165.. so works out to $149.00 ( for our dates).

If you are senior ( which of course we don't qualify for) the rate is $140.00 per night.

Ann, we're also staying at the Marriott Plaza. We'll be there after our b2b cruise on the Infinity that finishes in B.A. on 31/1/05. We'll be there 2 nts, before flying out to the falls for 2 nts, then back for 1 more night at the Marriott - a total of 3 nts at the Marriott. Price per nt:$175 OZ, that's brekkie and taxes incl, but no transfers.

Regards,

Joan.

Ann, we're also staying at the Marriott Plaza. We'll be there after our b2b cruise on the Infinity that finishes in B.A. on 31/1/05. We'll be there 2 nts, before flying out to the falls for 2 nts, then back for 1 more night at the Marriott - a total of 3 nts at the Marriott. Price per nt:$175 OZ, that's brekkie and taxes incl, but no transfers.

Regards,

Joan.

What do you think is the best way for transfers to the Marriott? Taxi or hotel set it up perhaps? I tried to locate a website for them in BA to discuss transfers with them ( direct to hotel and couldn't find one).. Anyone have it?

We are staying at the Sheraton Libertador and I arranged a private car through the Hotel for $23.00. They will be waiting for us with sign having our name on it. You should be able to contact Marriott and get a e-mail address from them. Hope this helps.

Don

I e-mailed Marriott for their Buenos Aires Marriott e-mail. When and if I get it, I'll post it. We communicated with the Sheraton in Tahiti prior to our arrival there last year, and it was great. Everything for a special dinner and a couple of other requests were taken care of upon our arrival, even tho the hotel was booked by Princess.

How easily is the dollar used (in thinking about following the recommendation to take a cab to the river to eat) or should I get the dollar exchanged?

• 2 weeks later...
I e-mailed Marriott for their Buenos Aires Marriott e-mail. When and if I get it, I'll post it. We communicated with the Sheraton in Tahiti prior to our arrival there last year, and it was great. Everything for a special dinner and a couple of other requests were taken care of upon our arrival, even tho the hotel was booked by Princess.

How easily is the dollar used (in thinking about following the recommendation to take a cab to the river to eat) or should I get the dollar exchanged?

Did you ever get a response for the email address of BA Marriott? Doesn't seem to be one ...

Just wanted to let you know that the Buenos Aires Marriott kept our luggage for us when we flew up to the Falls three years ago. We stayed with them one night before our cruise and one night after we returned from the Falls. We even had a better rate, we used our Marriott points and didn't pay anything.

Anyone going to buenos aires for the first time will really love it people are super friendly please don't forget to have their meats, wine and beer. There are this treats that you buy at the capital in any cornor which are call cubanito they are really good.....Enjoy!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone looking for a less expensive alternative to the Mariott or Sheraton, I would recommend any of the NH Hotels (City, Florida, Jousten) all in the same general area as the Marriott, with rates in the $80 to $100 range. I'd say the Marriott is in a very nice older building, but for the money they charge, could use some sprucing up.

As for cabs to/from airport, there is no need to prearrange, there are thousands of cabs in BA, cost is about $16 to/from airport.

BA is relatively safe, take same precautions you would in any big city. There are many, many pedestrains walking around the areas you are likely to be in.

A favorite upscale restaurant for beef, with a lot of toursists present (so within the comfort scale of readers of this board is Cabanas Las Lilas in Puerto Madero.

Another restaurant rec. is Social Paraiso in the Palermo Viejo neighborhood..the type of place with a variety of entrees (e.g. fish, beef, pasta).

If there for a few days and want to get away from beef, would recommend Filo for pizza.

Archived