Size of Travel Scooters - Princess Ships

bjboothman

My husband would like to buy a travel scooter before our next cruise. Where can I find the measurements of a standard cabin door on Princess - the travel scooters come in a variety of widths and we want to make sure we get one small enough to get thru the door without disassembly.

I know I can call Princess, but I'm wondering if any of you have some real life experience with this.

Well - I phone Princess today and they told me the cabin doors are 24 inches wide (standard cabin on the Emerald). Travel scooters are often 21-22 inches wide. I guess I can hope she knew what she was talking about. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and get a second opinion :)

We use a Pride Go-Go which is 22 inches wide and it will not fit through a standard cabin door on either Grand or Golden Princess. If your husband needs a scooter, much better to buy one based on his needs at home where it will be used most and reserve a proper handicapped cabin on the ship - those doors are purposely wider to take a scooter or wheelchair. When Princess tells you 24inches that is the width of the door frame, but when the hinged door is open it takes up 2inches of that 24.

I have also been studying the use of a travel scooter in a regular room. I find that the two lower end models of the Pride Go Go, the Ultra X and the Elite Traveler, spec out at 19.25 inches wide, with the higher end models being closer to 22 inches. I believe that these two scooters will make it through the door. My problem is still what to do with the scooter once it is through the door. I do not think the distance between the wall and the bed is wide enough and many times there is a turn at the sides of the bed. I can not figure out a way to make it work without breaking down the scooter. Have not given up yet, but I still have not found a way to make it work to our liking.

Thanks for the info. As usual I see I can't trust what Princess customer service tells me on the phone.

My husband has one at home but it's a monster and we really don't want to have to transport it by auto to the port. Maybe the answer is to rent a very small scooter or buy one that folds up easily.

I always rent a scooter from CareVacations and they are well worth the cost. I don't like the hassle of the airports handling the scooters (just too many stories of baggage handlers breaking scooters). But, after all my cruises, I've found that not even the smallest scooters, which I believe aren't good for cruise ships because they're just not as stable, fit through the small cabin doors.

I know that quite alot of people on these boards are going to tell you that the scooters won't fit through a standard cabin door; BUT, we have sailed on Diamond, Crown and Island Princess on Caribe deck, in a regular BA category without any problems getting my Pride Sonic scooter into the cabin, by the bed and through to the desk area where I plug it in for the night.

These are all in the standard stateroom and not an accessible. I have also had no problem getting it in an E1 class on Jewel of the Seas (RCCL) and Mercury concierge class (Celebrity). My scooter is approx. 21" wide.

They do take up alot of space in a regular statement but for sure overnight it is doable.

Thanks M&M Cruzers. I remember the space between the bed and the wall as being fairly snug, but did not measure the clearance. I am glad that it worked for you and will probably work for us. I find most answers from the cruise lines to be questionable.

:confused: It is a worry about traveling with a scooter..so I can understand your concern....and to get good answers is difficult.

I myself have used the scooter called Easy Travel or Travelite.

and It is really good. gets me to where I want to go.

It is very light and folds up like a baby carriage or it can be broken down.

With this model you can remove the battery from the scooter and charge it in the room at night...Each cruise I have taken if I have a standard cabin I have been able to park the scooter in the hall next to room or by the elevators and just take the battery into the room.

If it has to go into the room just fold it up.

I have had a handicapped room and it is a breeze.

I also have had a mini-suite on princess and we put in the changing area out of the way each night.

Traveling with this type of scooter is great because you can go up to the gate at the airport and then fold it up and it is onto the plane where they put all the baby stollers. etc. I hope this helps you:)

Archived